hard drive crash on Windows, had to reinstall Windows 10. won't accept key

Options

I have a current license for Windows. My Windows machine crashed and had to reinstall Windows. When trying to register 1Password after the reinstall, it won't accept the license key since I assume it thinks there is another computer with that key in use. How do I fix this? Thanks.

1Password Version: 4.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:reinstalling after hard drive crash windows

Comments

• MikeT
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @pianodad,

There is no hardware limitation nor do we keep track of what hardware is using the key.

There are two common reasons for this:

1. You installed 1Password 4 for Windows and tried to enter the 1Password 1.x license key instead of the 1Password 4 license key. 1Password 4 key starts with OPW4 and if you see 1PWW, that's for 1Password 1.x only unless you bought that key in 2013 or later, which would work in 1Password 4.
    2. Your security programs are preventing 1Password from validating the license key. Try to disable them temporarily to see if you can register the license.

If you're still having issues, please use this guide to generate a 1Password diagnostic report to email to us and, in the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can look for it, and confirm we got the email.

This discussion has been closed.