Confusion about pro version on new iPhone

Stephen_C
Stephen_C
Community Member
This discussion was created from comments split from: Master Password not syncing.

Comments

• SueAnnO
    SueAnnO
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

I also have just upgraded my iPhone to iPhone 6+. My 6+ has 1 password pro. It was version 3.7.2. Before I synced it with drop box (which btw I had not been able to do with my iPhone 5 due to not enough memory to upgrade iOS) the only option I saw was to download 1password, didn't see 1password pro offered) did another search found 1password pro now getting message that no account exists. Could it be that I bought 1password pro using name@me.com and now I've changed my Apple iTunes account back to name@mac.com? If so how can I get pro working again? Right now I synced with drop box to 1password on my iphone6+. But I want my 1password pro back.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@SueAnnO I have split your post from the thread in which you posted because it doesn't have anything to do with what was discussed in that thread. I've also moved it to the 1P for iOS forum where you'll get more help.

There seems to be some confusion about the version of 1P for iOS you have on your new phone. The current version, which you need for your phone, is 1P 5.3 for iOS. It's a free download from the App Store which you access using your phone and has an in app purchase to enable pro features. If you had already bought 1P 5.* for iOS and made the in app purchase to enable the pro features you should be able to restore the pro features so long as you've downloaded again on the new phone using the same Apple ID as you used when you first enabled the pro features.

However, it sounds to me as though there may be some confusion between an old version of 1P for iOS (i.e., before the release of 1P5 for iOS) and the current version. The current version runs only under iOS 8 so perhaps that's why you had the older version on your old phone.

Stephen

• Mielyndberg
    Mielyndberg
    Community Member

I have version 3.7.2 of 1Password on my Iphone 6 (IOS 8.3) and I have purchased the latest Pro version. When I open the old version I get info that
    I have the pro version installed and the question if I want to import the data into the new app.When I select to do that and follow instructions nothing happens in the new app. What am I doing wrong?
    Mats

• Hi @Mielyndberg,

You can find instructions on migrating from 1Password 3 for iOS to 1Password 5 for iOS here:

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• RunInCircles
    RunInCircles
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

Excuse me for horning in. Just another user here.
    How do you CHANGE an apple id?

"Could it be that I bought 1password pro using name@me.com
    and now I've changed my Apple iTunes account back to name@mac.com?"

To the best of my knowledge this is not possible. (Or wasn’t a short time ago).
    You can create a NEW account, but not change its original name.

If my premise holds true: You have 2 discrete accounts.
    But I may be blowing smoke, so don’t take that as a final or expert answer.

• @RunInCircles, you are correct in that you can't change your AppleID, but if you had an AppleID back when Apple was giving out @mac.com email addresses, name@me.com, and name@icloud.com also work interchangeably in many cases.

• RunInCircles
    RunInCircles
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

you are correct in that you can't change your AppleID,
    but if you had an AppleID back when Apple was giving out @mac.com email addresses,
    name@me.com, and name@icloud.com also work interchangeably in many cases.

The first thing to try is the original registered apple id.
    Without using 1Password to fill in, imo, as a test. Easiest way to check that premise.
    Preferrably from a pristine machine (like that new iPhone).

Terminology: Its NOT really a "primary email address," its a User ID in regard to the appstore & iTunes account log-in, that happens to be an email address as well, by requirement. If you can’t change the apple id - there’s no reason to believe alternates are possible as aliases.

The poster should be sure to change the iTunes ID to correspond to the same ID before going to the appstore. If those two are logged in by default, but as different users that can cause issues in the appstore.

I guess I was too subtle in hinting that direction:

Using the names/email addresses or user ids interchangeably in mail is a different animal than user id in the appstore, I’m pretty sure.

I haven’t personally tested to see if the 3 variants can be used interchangeably in the appstore, but its a good first assumption.

Caveat:
    There’s a danger in changing IDs too many times, from what I read over on the Apple forum. It may lock you out after too many changes back & forth for a period of several months.

• Thanks for your input @RunInCircles! :)

• RunInCircles
    RunInCircles
    Community Member

Actually, I may be wrong about changing the Primary User ID /Apple ID / primary email address.
    Potentially, you now can do so. Just don’t ask me how!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Some really helpful information, since I know how fraught navigating the Apple ID/iCloud ecosystem can be at times! :dizzy: :+1:

• SueAnnO
    SueAnnO
    Community Member

See my original post from 30 March above. I now understand that the 1P pro that I purchased for my Mac is not transferable to my new iphone 6+. So today I purchased the pro edition of 1P for IOS. I did this from my new ipad and successfully opened 1P on my new iphone and I'm happy to report that all my ipad entries from my old version of 1P (3.7.2) are now accessable in my new 1P Pro 6.0.1 on both my new ipad and my new iphone and I've set up the automatic sync feature.

I still use my older ipad and am going to attempt to download the 1P Pro 6.01 to that device and hopefully access all the data synched to dropbox.

I still need to do some more research about how to have my 1P pro data the is currently on my Mac desktop and Mac laptop accessible across Mac and IOS operating systems. Since my Mac and MacLaptop are both synching to the same drop box account I'm concerned that data on my desktop/laptop Macs will not have the ability to synch with my newly installed 1P pro from my ipads and iphone. Can you direct me to the best place to read about how to have 1P pro data being shared from both MAC and IOS operating systems?

• SueAnnO
    SueAnnO
    Community Member

Btw I do have 1P pro on my Mac desktop and laptop. Version 3.5.9

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I now understand that the 1P pro that I purchased for my Mac is not transferable to my new iphone 6+.
    Btw I do have 1P pro on my Mac desktop and laptop. Version 3.5.9

@SueAnnO: Sorry for the confusion! It is actually possible to sync 1Password touch/Pro version 3 to devices, but only if you have a copy of it in iTunes to sync over, since it was removed from the App Store years ago. It sounds you're saying you have this in iTunes on a couple Macs.

That said, I'm glad to hear that that you're using 1Password 6 on iOS 9, as the two were 'made for each other', so to speak. ;)

I still use my older ipad and am going to attempt to download the 1P Pro 6.01 to that device and hopefully access all the data synched to dropbox.

Ah, that explains it! Dropbox will actually allow you to sync your 1Password data between all of your devices, provided that they are up to date. If you can tell me more about all OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, I'll be happy to give more specific recommendations about how to get everything set up. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.