Cannot open 1password or 1password mini

Willy_T
Willy_T
Community Member

Hi, after updating to the latest beta version of el capitan today build 15B22c, 1password now fails to open. Get the error relating to connections to 1password mini and the app then closes. I have tried re-installing and rebooting but sadly same issue. Any help appreciated.

1Password Version: 5.4-beta42
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.11 (15B22c)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Willy_T,

We are aware of one cause at the moment, let's see if this applies to you :smile:

1. Ensure you only have a single copy of 1Password on your Mac, you will want it to reside in /Applications/.
    2. Use the following command in a Terminal window. The command is xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 5.app.

So we had a few reports from people running the last El Capitan beta and it seemed for reasons unknown that the quarantine flag, set by when you download something, isn't being removed. I don't know if it's the case that it isn't being removed properly or if for some reason the user isn't seeing the normal prompt. Anyway, if that flag is present OS X won't allow you to run 1Password as it's trying to protect your system. The command tells OS X to remove the flag and then you should find 1Password runs.

Let us know how you get along :smile:

• Willy_T
    Willy_T
    Community Member

Yep that did the trick! Thank you :-)

• Great to hear and thank you for letting us know :smile:

Enjoy El Capitan!

• sshumway
    sshumway
    Community Member

I just installed El Capitan today and while 1 Password 5 ran without issue, the safari extension would not download (kept seeing the agilebits "we're sorry" page). I checked the xattr of /Applications/1 Password\ 5.app and it had the quarantine still there. Ran the command and then the extension downloaded and installed fine. So while 1 Password was happy, the mini/extension bits weren't.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sshumway,

That's a different twist on the quarantine issue with 1Password and El Capitan. Glad you figured it out and thanks for bringing it to our attention! :+1:

• nromey
    nromey
    Community Member

Hi guys,

I am having the same issue, but the cited command doesn't work for me oddly.

I am using 1Password 5.3 for Mac, and I just purchased it. I don't know if it matters, but I haven't ever used the application so the error happens upon the first run. I have removed the application and recopied it. I have also restarted multiple times.

I am running this under the latest el-cap non-beta. Any ideas or experiences why this might happen? I'm looking forward to branching out from 1P IOS to the mac and Windows versions so I hope we can figure this out.

Thanks.

Noel

• Hey @nromey! Could you check to see which version of the app you're running? You said 5.3, but was it downloaded from the Mac App Store or the AgileBits Store? Also, could you post the exact error you're receiving when you open 1Password? That'll help us figure out what's going on. :)

• nromey
    nromey
    Community Member

Hello,

I downloaded the app from the Agile Bits store. Believe the thing says 5.3.2 in the zip file.

The error is the standard
    "password failed to connect to 1password mini" error.

I have followed all troubleshooting steps that I have seen throughout the forums with no success. I haven't tried any betas.

Noel

• nromey
    nromey
    Community Member

As an experiment and to add to my post, I downloaded the beta and performed the same command. Still no luck. I wonder if it would be different if I had used the software before installing el-capitan. No idea.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

NER

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I downloaded the beta and performed the same command.

Does that mean you now have two copies of 1P on your Mac (1Password.app and 1Password 5.app)? That of itself could give rise to the error you are seeing.

Stephen

• Jacob
    edited October 2015

@nromey Thanks for posting that version and error.

As an experiment and to add to my post, I downloaded the beta and performed the same command.

Did you add this to your Applications folder, or replace the current version of 1Password with the beta? If you simply added another version, that can cause some confusion in the app's communication with 1Password Mini. If you didn't, could you please create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac?

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

• AdrianBrancato
    AdrianBrancato
    Community Member

The Terminal command: "xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 5.app" solved the problem for me as well. Thanks.

• Hey @AdrianBrancato! Glad to hear it! That's why we love our forums — lots of knowledge from lots of different folks. :)

• AdrianBrancato
    AdrianBrancato
    Community Member

Regarding the command syntax: "xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 5.app"
    it would seem to me that the last backslash should have been omitted?
    But, in fact, when I entered the Terminal command as listed in the original post I entered it "as is", with the backslash.
    Terminal accepted it and replied:
    Adrians-iMac:~ Adrian$ xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 5.app
    Adrians-iMac:~ Adrian$

• @AdrianBrancato Actually, if you omitted that backslash, Terminal wouldn't have the correct path to the app. Since "1Password 5" has a space in it, you have to define that for Terminal. In file paths, this is done by using a backslash and then a space. You can learn a bit about it in this thread if you'd like. :)

• AdrianBrancato
    AdrianBrancato
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

Thank you, penderworth, for your perfect answer, above and beyond the call of duty. ;-)

You can enclose the whole path by double-quotes ("), single-quote (') or escape the space character using a backslash (\)
    cd "/path/path/path/A Folder/file"
    cd '/path/path/path/A Folder/file'
    cd /path/path/path/A\ Folder/file

• @AdrianBrancato No problem at all. We love helping folks learn fun little tricks. :) Have an awesome weekend, mate!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

You can enclose the whole path by double-quotes ("), single-quote (') or escape the space character using a backslash ()

Single-quoting the full filename path is what I've suggested here:

• Copy this single line command, then paste it into the Terminal window you just opened:

xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine '/Applications/1Password 5.app'

• Tap the return key to run that command.

• Open 1Password 5 app.

Here's that command again in case the formatting above makes it tough to copy:

xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine '/Applications/1Password 5.app'

Cheers! :)

• peterkq
    peterkq
    Community Member

I tried that, open terminal, pasted " xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine '/Applications/1Password 5.app", didn't work.

I am on OS 10.11.2, 1password 5 (downloaded today) 27Dec15.

can someone help?

the problem started when i updated the Mac OS today, and its frustrating on all these incompatibility issues.

thanks in advance for looking into this.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @peterkq,

Sorry you're having this trouble getting 1Password to open and connect with 1Password mini after your OS X update.

Before doing anything else to fix this, please use the 1Password Troubleshooting tool to generate a Diagnostics Report as soon as possible:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Then attach the report file with an email to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, and do include a link to this discussion and your forum username in the email. You'll receive an automated email reply with a support ticket confirmation ID that you can post here to help "connect the dots".

As receiving the report we'll continue to assist you with this issue directly through email. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.