iCloud sync option not available on Mac OS X 10.10.5

leonidt
leonidt
Community Member

I've just bought an OS X copy of 1password from agilebits store and iCloud sync option is not available in preferences. Why is that? I've also bought a Pro version of an iOS app and iCloud works just fine there (which is not exactly happy news, since I really hoped to sync my passwords via iCloud and now it's like I paid 49.99 + 9.99 USD for a password keeper with limited functionality... )

1Password Version: 5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: os x 10.10.5
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

When Apple released Yosemite, they denied access to the protocols required for syncing via iCloud to applications that Apple does not sell itself from one of its app stores. Because of that policy, the AgileBits web store version of 1Password lost the ability to sync its data over iCloud. Dropbox became the only cloud option.

Now, you say you just bought your license from AgileBits. If that means within the last 30 days, they will refund your money and you can then go to the Mac App Store and buy a license there. If you used the same email address to buy your license as you did to register for these forums, an AgileBits employee will be along soon to confirm that you really want a refund and then make that happen. If you used a different email address, send your request to support+licenses@agilebits.com, along with a link to this thread and the email addres you used to buy your license.

Here are a couple of things I would consider if I were you, though. If multiple vaults will be important to you, perhaps because you want to keep work and personal data separate, only Dropbox will allow that. iCloud can only deal with your primary vault. And if you ever want to upgrade when a paid upgrade version arrives, you should also know that you will have to pay the same price at the Mac App Store as everyone else does, because Apple doesn't provide developers any way to offer discounts for paid upgrades; everyone pays full price. On the other hand, AgileBits offers generous discounts to registered users when paid upgrades are released. Those things, plus the fact that there is no difference whatever in the security of your data, whatever sync mechanism you use, tip the scale for me towards buying directly from AgileBits. The real security comes from strong encryption and a strong master password. It has nothing to do with where the data reside. But you may have other opinions. And if you did buy recently from AgileBits and want that refund, you'll certainly get it.

• leonidt
    leonidt
    Community Member

Thanks so much for your very informative answer, you were very helpul! I think I'll opt for Dropbox syncing after all.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@leonidt: I'm glad that helped! I can't add much to hawkmoth's excellent explanation, except to say that Dropbox is how I prefer to sync my 1Password data. And as hawkmoth mentioned, your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance. Frankly though the cross-plaform support is the primary reason I use Dropbox. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.