My password is for version 4.1 but my new computer has version 5

tjrice
tjrice
Community Member

My computer was just upgraded and it has V5 on it but my license if for version 4.1?

How can I get version 4.1 working again? I don't want to have to buy it again.

Thx

Terry

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Don't worry - version 5 is a free upgrade for all registered users of version 4. You won't have to pay for that change. Version 5 only works with Yosemite or higher, which I Would assume applies to your newly upgraded computer.

• tjrice
    tjrice
    Community Member

How do I upgrade. I bought my version through iTunes. In my browser it just says my trial has ended and only gives a purchase option?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

You posted in the Mac section, but then you also refer to buying through iTunes, which only sells software for iOS devices, not Macs. Also, if you are seeing a trial expired message, it would mean that you are running the version from the AgileBits web store, not the one sold by Apple on th Mac App Store.

Do you have both installed? If you look in the Applications folder on your Mac, do you see two different versions of 1Password? The version from the Mac App Store will be 1Password.app. The one from AgileBits will be named 1Password 5.app. If you have both, tell use which you want to keep.

• tjrice
    tjrice
    Community Member

Sorry for the confusion. I bought both. I bought my original version for my Mac in 2009. Then I bought the iTunes version in 2013 (I thought I had to in order to use it on my phone). The 2013 version is newer obviously (4.1.2). I use OnePassword on my Mac the most. I would like to be using version 5 on my Mac without having to buy a new license. Can I do this? Thx

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Yes, you can use version 5 on your Mac without an additional payment. The upgrade from version 4 to 5 is free to all registered users. You would apply the same license file you used to register version 4. The file is exactly the same for both. You should have an email message from AgileBits telling you how to apply the license file.

You did indeed need to buy a separate license for iOS. Licenses are sold on a per user, per platform basis, and OS X and iOS are separate platforms. So you're good there.

Now, I'm not sure that you have a license for version 4 for Mac, if you have only purchased once in 2009. My guess is that you have a license for version 3. If that is so, the upgrade from version 3 to 4 did require a payment. Can you confirm what version you have on your Mac? You'll find that information in the 1Password menu under About 1Password.

• tjrice
    tjrice
    Community Member

It says version 5.3.2 but I think that is b/c when my new Mac was set up a couple weeks ago it did not carry over my "old" version of One Password. So now it is 5.3.2 but just a trial version by the looks of things. And its of course stating that the trial is over. I can see all my saved passwords and use them on sites I just can't edit or add new ones. My invoice from 2009 was $39.95 but it does not indicate what version that was it just says "Single User License".

• Jacob
    edited September 2015

@tjrice Since your license is from 1Password 4, you can still use it for 1Password 5. Do you still have your license file? If not, you can request it to be emailed to you again here: https://agilebits.com/store/licenses

Once you obtain the license, you can add the license and your 1Password 5 app and it will no longer be in trial mode. :) Let me know if that helps!

• tjrice
    tjrice
    Community Member

My version 4.1.2 was from the iTunes store. Can I use that purchase/ version to upgrade to version 5 on my Mac? My purchase from the One Password store was in 2009.

• @tjrice If you have a copy of 1Password associated with your Mac App Store account (iTunes is used for iOS apps, as hawkmoth mentioned) you should be able to redownload it by opening the App Store app on your Mac, clicking the Purchases tab, and clicking Download beside 1Password. The upgrade from version 4 to 5 on the App Store was free, just like the AgileBits Store version. You will need to sign in with the Apple account you used to purchase 1Password before. If the purchase isn't shown, it may be hidden. You can show your hidden purchases by clicking the Store menu and selecting View Account. Under the Hidden Items section, click Manage. Search for 1Password and click Unhide to put it back your Purchases tab so you can download it.

If you can't find the purchase, I would recommend looking through your email for a receipt from Apple for 1Password.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tjrice,

@penderworth is exactly right. You should be able to download 1Password 5 for free from the Mac App Store if you bought version 4 from there. Then you can use this guide to migrate your data over from the version you're using (the AgileBits Store version 5.3.2, which is showing "Trial Expired"):

Switching to the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store

Hopefully this clarifies everything for you, but ask away if you have any other questions. :)

• tjrice
    tjrice
    Community Member

This is so frustrating. I have my receipt for V4.1.2. I have a proper order ID. BUT when I go to download version 5 from the Mac App Store it only shows a $57.99 option. And when I go into my account it does not even show Hidden Items as an option.

• tjrice
    tjrice
    Community Member

I wish I could speak to a human on a telephone.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tjrice,

Sorry if the forum format is a bit less than ideal, but I think we're very close to helping you solve this! Your receipt for 4.1.2: is it for the Mac app, or the iOS app? Was it closer to $10 (iOS) or in the $30-50 range (Mac)? They are sold separately, so if you bought the iOS app, the Mac app will be a new purchase.

If you did indeed purchase the Mac app from the Mac App Store, the next thing to check is to make sure that you're logged into the Mac App Store with the same Apple ID you bought it with, because the purchase is tied to the Apple ID.

• tjrice
    tjrice
    Community Member

It was $17.99 - it was for iOS and I can even click "purchase history" on the receipt and it takes me to my main Apple ID account.

• tjrice
    tjrice
    Community Member

So are you saying that the iOS V4.1.2 that I bought through the Apple Store can't help me get V5 for my Mac working?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

@tjrice,

So are you saying that the iOS V4.1.2 that I bought through the Apple Store can't help me get V5 for my Mac working?

I'm sorry for the confusion, but yes, that is what I'm saying. You purchased 1Password for iOS. It sounds like you have not yet purchased 1Password 4 or 5 for Mac. They are sold separately. You can read more about our approach to software licensing here.

The good news is that you do still have a valid license key for 1Password 3 for Mac. You can enter that key code in our upgrade store for an excellent upgrade discount on a license for the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac, so you won't have to pay full price.

However, I will note here that if syncing over iCloud is important to you, you'll have to buy the full-price version from the Mac App Store for that. The version we sell in our store does have Dropbox and Wi-Fi sync capabilities that work great to keep your data synced between devices, but iCloud sync is only available in apps sold through the Mac App Store (here's why). We can't give an upgrade discount through the Mac App Store (though we would if we could) because we don't control that store at all.

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.