Can't Find Passwords on Dropbox Web

genec123
genec123
Community Member

I can see my labels for my passwords in Dropbox when I access it through the left navigation panel. But when I go to the Dropbox website and go to "1Password.agilekeychain" it has a "data" folder below it which is empty except another folder ("default"). Below that is a "default" folder which is also empty. I go to the Mac 1P app and it says that the sync has happened 134 minutes ago. My Dropbox was full but is not now. When I open the app on my iPhone and I start the sync but it never asks me about the "secret message shown below".

I am close (I think) to having everything working but I need to be able to access my passwords in case I am on a different device so I need to be sure everything is copacetic before I start loading the machine generated strong passwords.

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X Yosemite 10.10.d
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Can't Find Passwords on Dropbox Web

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @genec123,

To make sure I understand, are you having trouble setting up Dropbox sync for 1Password between your Mac and iPhone? If so, I'm sure we can get that to work for you, and I'd just like to clarify a few things about what's happening on your end:

I can see my labels for my passwords in Dropbox when I access it through the left navigation panel.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you're describing here. What "labels" do you mean, and what "left navigation panel" are you referring to? Are you selecting something in the sidebar of the main 1Password app on your Mac? Or perhaps selecting a vault in the left side of the sync preferences? Or is that something you're doing in 1Password on your iPhone?

My Dropbox was full but is not now.

Can you elaborate on what you mean? Do you mean your Dropbox account was running out of available space, but now there's room for more files?

When I open the app on my iPhone and I start the sync but it never asks me about the "secret message shown below".

This sounds like you're describing Wi-Fi sync, which is separate from Dropbox sync. If you're trying to set up Dropbox sync, you won't be prompted for any secret message, so that's normal.

Now, aside from all that, if you're trying to set up Dropbox sync, please make sure you're following the steps from these links:

If you're following those steps but something isn't working right, please let us know exactly where you run into a problem. Once we know more about what's going wrong, we should have a better idea of how to get things up and running. Thanks in advance! :)

• genec123
    genec123
    Community Member

Yes, I can see why my description is confusing. In a nutshell: I can go to the folder containing my passwords using the navigation panel containing Dropbox (favorites) in Finder. I can see all of my password IDs. But, when I try and access my passwords on Dropbox using the web version of Dropbox I do not see my passwords. BUT, I can see all of my other files that I know are in Dropbox. The web version has "1Password.agilekeychain" which is empty. I hope this is clearer. Again, thanks for your expertise AND your patience.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @genec123,

Thanks for the clarification! So it sounds like you're finding your .agilekeychain package in the Finder, right-clicking on it and choosing Show Package Contents, then looking in data/default/ and comparing that to what you see in that same folder in your Dropbox account on the dropbox.com website. There are lots of small files in data/default/ on your Mac, but that folder is empty on dropbox.com. Is that all correct?

If so, I'm curious if that's causing any problems trying to sync 1Password between your Mac and iPhone? Or is that working correctly? As a test, please create a new item in 1Password on your Mac (for example, create a new Secure Note, enter a title and some text, and save it). Does that new item sync from your Mac to 1Password on your iPhone?

If Dropbox sync isn't working, you can try resetting that. First, you should backup your data as a precaution. Do you have all your current data in 1Password on your Mac? If so, open 1Password on your Mac and go to File > Backup. The window that opens will show all your 1Password backups, including the new one you just made.

When you're ready, go ahead and follow these steps to reset Dropbox sync:

• On your Mac, open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the Sync tab, then change the sync from Dropbox to None.
    • Click the box to Delete data from Dropbox, then click Disable Sync.
    • Open your Dropbox folder on your Mac and make sure the .agilekeychain has been deleted.
    • In 1Password, go back to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • Select Dropbox from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu.
    • Click the Choose button and select your main Dropbox folder (then click Open).
    • Click Create New to create a new 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox/1Password.
    • Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

On your iPhone, 1Password should stop syncing when it realizes the .agilekeychain was removed from Dropbox, and will give you an error message about that (which is expected). Once Dropbox has fully synced the new .agilekeychain file from your Mac to the Dropbox servers, you can re-enable Dropbox sync in 1Password on your iPhone. You'll be prompted to merge your vault data, which is fine.

Does that help? Let us know how it goes, thanks!

• genec123
    genec123
    Community Member

I did the test. I added another log on and deleted a few others. The logins on my Mac match the iPhone. But when I go to the web version of Dropbox I see all of my MAC folders including 1Password. But there is nothing under the 1Password.agilekeychain nor in the folders below it (data>default). I am strongly considering moving to iCloud as I have upgraded to the 50gig account. Should I try to get this problem (with Dropbox) resolved BEFORE I do the move or should I just move?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @genec123,

I'm not sure why you aren't seeing any files in those folders on the Dropbox website, but if Dropbox sync is working correctly between your Mac and iPhone, then the .agilekeychain must contain your data. To test this, you can try using the 1PasswordAnywhere feature. Basically, log into your Dropbox account on the dropbox.com website, then click on the 1Password.html file located inside 1Password.agilekeychain (which might be inside a 1Password folder). Do you see all your data there? If so, the .agilekeychain is fine and you don't need to do anything.

I am strongly considering moving to iCloud as I have upgraded to the 50gig account. Should I try to get this problem (with Dropbox) resolved BEFORE I do the move or should I just move?

You can switch to iCloud sync at any time, it doesn't matter if the sync data in Dropbox is working correctly or not.

I hope that helps! :)

• genec123
    genec123
    Community Member

I went into Dropbox again on the web. I went to the 1Password.agilekeychain and the folders under it. There are no files that I can see including *.html. Is there a filter that might be on in Dropbox? I appreciate your help and patience.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @genec123,

On dropbox.com, when you click on the 1Password.agilekeychain folder, the 1Password.html file should be listed at the top, above the other folders in there. It should look something like this:

Did you follow the steps in our 1PasswordAnywhere guide? (That's where the above screenshot is from.) I don't think there are any filters on dropbox.com that would hide those files from view - to be sure, I double-checked my own account on dropbox.com, but I couldn't find any options to filter/hide files.

If you tried to follow those steps but 1Password.agilekeychain doesn't contain a 1Password.html file, I would normally suggest disabling Dropbox sync and deleting the current 1Password.agilekeychain, then setting up Dropbox sync again to create a new one. But that's what I already had you do in the steps I gave you yesterday. But you can certainly try that again - this time, after disabling Dropbox sync in 1Password for Mac, check the Dropbox/1Password/ folder on your Mac to make sure the keychain was deleted (if not, drag it to the Trash). Then check your account on dropbox.com to make sure it has been deleted from there as well. If for any reason it isn't automatically deleted from your account on dropbox.com, let us know, as that's probably a good clue as to what's happening. (But if it's automatically deleted from dropbox.com, you can go ahead and re-enable Dropbox sync like you did before.)

I'm definitely interested to see how this turns out. Looking forward to hearing what happens! :)

• genec123
    genec123
    Community Member

I will try what you present. Here's what I see in Dropbox. Sorry I tried using Grab to put a picture here and it will not paste (but it pastes into Pages). But the Data Folder is empty and so is the Default folder below it.

• @genec123 It doesn't look like the screenshot attached to your message. You can quickly take a screenshot by pressing Command Shift 4 on your keyboard and selecting a space to capture on your screen by dragging the mouse (which is a crosshair during screenshot capture). Once you've got it, try dragging your screenshot to the message box here in the forum. Alternatively, you can click the file icon in the box and select choose file. Here's an image showing what I'm talking about:

• genec123
    genec123
    Community Member

I did all of the steps. I can see the file on my Mac using the navigation bar on the left in Finder. The passwords are on my iPhone but I can't find them on the web. I am sorry but I wish I knew how to cut and paste screen shots into this forum and I could if I were on Windows but that was the old Gene. Thanks again.

• genec123
    genec123
    Community Member

I cannot get [Command Shift 4] to work. When I try and use the link from the clipboard I get an error message. Another question for the people at the Apple store.
    I tried using Grab. Took three screenshots and saved them in my Downloads. When I clicked on choose I got an error message that "the file failed to upload"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@genec123: It sounds like something more serious may be going wrong on your Mac then, since that's a system shortcut, and double-clicking an image should open it in Preview or your default editor. And I'm not sure why the browser wouldn't be able to access files in your Downloads folder.

At this point, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• genec123
    genec123
    Community Member

Does this forum allow a TIFF file to be attached?

Sent my diagnostics.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @genec123,

If you're trying to attach a TIFF image, that might be the problem - it's been a while, but I believe that doesn't work correctly in these forums. If you can open the screenshot in Preview, you should be able to go to File > Duplicate to make a copy, and when you save the new copy you can choose the file format (a JPG or PNG file should work correctly).

We received your Diagnostics Report, thanks for sending it! I updated the email thread with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Thanks so much for your patience while we try to figure this out! :)

ref: BIS-72134-111

This discussion has been closed.