1Password Window Position Not Remembered [known to happen on El Capitan (10.11)]

chrlswtt
chrlswtt
Community Member
edited October 2015 in Mac

Version 5.3.2 doesn't remember it's window position. Either the top of 1Password's window's text opens behind the menu bar (not beneath but behind) or the bottom of the window's text is behind the Dock. If I reposition the widow and close 1Password's main window, when I reopen, the position is forgotten again. I was beta testing El Capitan and thought maybe that was the cause but with the public release today, the problem still exists

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: 10.11
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @chrlswtt Someone else reported this last week and this thread has a fix that should work for you. :) I'm also in El Capitan (stable release) and that fixed things on my end.

• chrlswtt
    chrlswtt
    Community Member

Thank you for bringing the fix to my attention. I followed the procedure but still no joy. As soon as I quit and restarted 1Password, the same problem persists.

• @chrlswtt Hmm, that's strange. What build of El Capitan are you on? You can check in  > About This Mac > System Report > Software. Mine is 15A282a and the window position has been behaving nicely.

You could try updating to the 1Password 5.4 beta (I'm using it, 5.4 beta 42). That may fix things.

• chrlswtt
    chrlswtt
    Community Member

Sytem software is OS X 10.11 (15A284). I just downloaded 5.4.BETA-42. I'll see how it goes. I guess it's not a big deal but it is perplexing that it stopped working correctly. Thank You

• @chrlswtt Your build is a bit newer than mine. Interesting. Please do let me know things go! OS X's WindowServer can be a bit capricious sometimes. Sorry about that.

• chrlswtt
    chrlswtt
    Community Member

I removed the 5.3.2 preference files and then installed 5.4.BETA-42 but still had the same results. Maybe I'm missing something?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chrlswtt,

That's definitely strange! I haven't run into this problem myself, but I would have expected penderworth's suggestion to fix that. I do have a theory though, and I'd like you to try this:

• Open the main 1Password app.
    • While holding the control key on your keyboard, go to the 1Password menu and select "Quit 1Password and 1Password mini".
    • In the Finder, go to: ~/Library/Preferences
    • Drag these two files to your Desktop: 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper.plist and com.agilebits.onepassword4.plist
    • Restart your Mac.

After your Mac restarts, open the 1Password app again. Is there any difference this time?

• chrlswtt
    chrlswtt
    Community Member

After following the above procedure, after restart, I opened 1Password.

1. Get the Welcome Screen
    2. Go through the initial setup options.
    3. Enter 1Password password (password window is centered and at the default position)
    4. Password List is centered and at default size.
    5. Quit 1Password main window
    6. Reopen 1Password (Password window is positioned from bottom of menu bar to top of Dock, left and right remain at default)
    7. 1Password list window's top is at default but the bottom is below the Dock
    8. Each subsequent opening, the window's position can vary.

Is it possible that the aberrant window behavior is due to El Capitan's new split screen feature and 1Password is somehow misinterpreting window size? I don't use this feature but I have tried it while testing the beta.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chrlswtt,

Thanks for trying that and for describing exactly what happened afterwards, it's very helpful for us! :)

I'm afraid I don't know what's causing this to happen for you, so to help us figure it out, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• chrlswtt
    chrlswtt
    Community Member

Support ID number PYR-63194-311

• chrlswtt
    chrlswtt
    Community Member

Just for clarification, here is a picture of 1Password's window behind the menubar.

• amors
    amors
    Community Member

Yes. For me on El Capitan the same problem with 1Password windows.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Another me too. Running 10.11 (15A284) on a 13" MacBook Pro. 1Password Version 5.3 (530029) Mac App Store
    Extension 4.4.0, Safari Extension Gallery
    In my case the top of the window is OK, but the bottom is behind the dock

• Jacob
    edited October 2015

@chrlswtt Thank you so much for sending over that diagnostics report, and for posting a screenshot to help us with troubleshooting. We'll continue this conversation via email and someone will get back to you as soon as possible. :)

ref: PYR-63194-311

ref: OPM-3145

• amors
    amors
    Community Member

Support ID is [#MRI-31277-676]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@amors: Thank you! I see that we've received your email, so we'll take a look at the diagnostics and see if we can find a fix for this issue! :)

ref: MRI-31277-676

• chrlswtt
    chrlswtt
    Community Member

I'm just checking to see if this issue was addressed in either of the two recent 1Password updates? I still have the UI problem. When it is fixed, will it be listed in that version's changelog?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chrlswtt,

Thanks for checking in on that! Unfortunately that particular bug was not been squashed yet. I'm sorry for the inconvenience! To answer your other question, yes: When it's fixed, it should be listed in the release notes for that version.

We're here for you if you need anything else!

• Vethrfolnir
    Vethrfolnir
    Community Member

Just wondering if you have a beta version that fixes this problem, and if so, where I might be able to download it. If not, no worries (it is a very minor annoyance).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Vethrfolnir,

Thanks for asking! However, I'm afraid we don't have this fixed in a beta version yet. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience and annoyance (even if it's minor). I don't know when to expect a fix for this, but we've heard from a bunch of customers about this, so it's something we'd really like to fix as soon as we can.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that! But if you have more questions or need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. We're always happy to help! :)

• chrlswtt
    chrlswtt
    Community Member

I just updated to 10.11.2 and magically the window problem seems to be fixed.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Very interesting, @chrlswtt. I should try updating to 10.11.2 before we push the beta with our own fix and see if that resolves it for me as well. :)

• chrlswtt
    chrlswtt
    Community Member

Update: The Master Password and password list retains their window position and size until you do a restart. After restart, the Master Password window still retains it size and position but the password list window reverts to its menu bar to dock position. The good news is, so far, the top of the window doesn't go behind the menu bar and the lower part of the window isn't behind the dock.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update, @chrlswtt!

As Khad mentioned earlier, our developers hope to include a fix for this in an upcoming beta. So hopefully that goes well and makes its way into a stable release (no timeframe yet, though).

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I can commiserate, chrlswtt. You got my hopes up thinking that 10.11.2 could have resolved this, but they were dashed soon after I installed the 10.11.2 update. LOL

We have a fix on the way, though. You and my 13-inch screen will have something to celebrate soon. :)

• lylewaters
    lylewaters
    Community Member

I just noticed the same problem today as well. I have a 12" Macbook running the latest patches and everything (only release software no beta or developer software). I am running 1Password version 5.4 (540046). I may have had this problem for a while, but I just noticed it today and searched for a cause when I found this forum. Please let me know. Thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lylewaters,

As Drew mentioned that I mentioned earlier, our developers hope to include a fix for this in an upcoming beta. So hopefully that goes well and makes its way into a stable release (no timeframe yet, though).

• lylewaters
    lylewaters
    Community Member

@khad,

Ok, thanks. I was reading through the comments and it wasn't clear to me that you folks had identified the root cause yet so I just wanted to post that I was also having the problem. My problem is also that it doesn't remember the last saved size and position and that results in about 1/4th of the program being below the dock and me having to move the window up quite a bit or revise it on each use. Thanks for letting me know a fix is in the works. I will wait patiently for this to be resolved. Thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015

@lylewaters, yeah it's pretty frustrating for those of us with smaller screens. I'm on a 13" myself.

Thanks for your patience, and I hope you have a great holiday!

ref: OPM-3145

This discussion has been closed.