Data exported from Roboform 7.9 is corrupt in 1Password 4.6

Options
simonides
simonides
Community Member
edited October 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I did "Print List" from Roboform 7.9 to create a very presentable html file with 620 cards. I imported to 1Password 4.6 and the result was unusable for example what was called "Paragon-Software" in RF, appeared as "Par" "ampersand shy semicolon"­agon-sof"ampersand shy semicolon"­tware" in 1Password.

What do I need to do differently to migrate successfully from RF to 1Password?

thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @simonides,

Instead of using 1Password to import, please try using the data converter scripts here: https://support.1password.com/import/#other-programs-data-converters-

@MrC is our community moderator who has been helping with our customers with the import process and he will be happy to help you here as well.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hi @simonides ,

I have not created a RoboForm-specific converter because 1) RoboForum beyond 6.99 does not export the full URL for the site, and 2) the 1Password converter was able to read the older version which did support a full export of your data.

If you still find value in importing the data without the full URL, I'm happy to create a converter anyway. What are your thoughts?

• simonides
    simonides
    Community Member
    Options

MikeT, MrC, thanks for prompt replies! My own was not so prompt as I wanted to investigate further.

I now understand that the html export file generated by Print List from versions of Roboform since May 2007 lacks the full url information so even if passcards had been properly imported into 1Password, eg via a third party tool, they would have lacked the full path.

I was able to download and install version RF 6.9.3 from oldversions.com and use RF's Print List feature with the Full HTML box selected before saving the html file and importing to 1Password. I believe the Full HTML feature was removed after 6.9.3. I had to create separate html files for each of Logins, Identities and SafeNotes. I used Eraser to erase the intermediate files securely after importing to 1Password.

MrC, I see no value in importing data without the full URL - but thank you for the offer to create a specific converter for 1Password !

Ideally, I would have imported Identities and SafeNotes separately to 1Passwords's Identities and Secure Notes but was unable to find a way to do that? Is there a way?

I think I'll be uninstalling Roboform soon.

thanks guys
    Simonides

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@simonides,

No worries. It seems like you've done some good detective work.

I believe the last Roboform version to support full export was 6.9.9.

1Password for Windows only supports importing Login items via CSV, so without a converter, you'll need to manually enter this data. How many Secure Notes do you have?

• simonides
    simonides
    Community Member
    Options

MrC, interesting, I had no difficulty importing Logins, Identities and SafeNotes via HTML file. I've around 50 secure Notes. They are currently all in Logins. Can I drag and drop from Logins to Secure Notes?

Simonides

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options

@simonides,

No, unfortunately, you can't change an item's category, so this will be a copy / paste operation.

What I meant to say aligns with your experience. 1Password for Windows will only place the CSV-imported items into Login entries. This differs from 1Password for OS X, which can place items from CSV into the categories Login, Credit Card, Software License, and Secure Note.

• simonides
    simonides
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, and what may be the last question from me related to exporting data from Roboform to 1Password, is that I'd like to understand if the everhelpful MrC's data converter scripts are in any better than, or differerent in end result, from a simple Print List from Roboform 6.9.x followed by Import to 1Password.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options

@simonides,

Besides the obvious goal of making it possible to import data from various password managers, another goal was to provide as rich a transfer as possible, taking the password manager's data types and converting them into the appropriate 1Passwords categories. Occasionally this is a one-to-one mapping, but most of the time it requires transferring a source category to a different 1Password category. And other times, a single record might be split into as many as four 1Password records, each with a different category.

EDIT: Version 1.08 of the converter suite now contains the roboform converter that supports RoboForm for OS X and versions 6 and 7.x of RoboForm for Windows.

-
    In the case of Roboform, given their refusal to output complete data, I had not bothered to look deeper into creating a converter and evaluating their various data types. Since the old 6.99 version was required to output all data, I had assumed the native 1Password converter for that format would be sufficient. But I can see from your post above that your Identities and Safe Notes went into Logins, so my thinking was that perhaps there is still value in creating a more robust converter.

I typically wait for user demand before creating a converter.

-

• simonides
    simonides
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again MrC, for your prompt and informative reply. Recognizing that many of my Safe Notes are probably no longer current, I am ok to copy and paste the ones I need between categories when required so I while I don't really need the converter you describe, I'd be more than happy to help user test it, if you ever decide that enough user demand exists for you to move forward with its development.

• Feel free to discuss this stuff here :)

This discussion has been closed.