Sync Over Wi-Fi Problems Since Upgrading from 1Password 4 to 1Password5 (OS X)

Options
justinjustice
justinjustice
Community Member

Hi! I am a very big fan of 1Password - I love what you guys do.

Recently I've run into an issue with Wi-Fi syncing.
I have always preferred to use this method of syncing - when I was on 1Password 4 for OS X I'd do the following:

1. Open the Window menu in 1Password 4 and select 'Wi-Fi Sync'.
  2. Use Touch ID to open 1Password for iOS (Not sure of the version here), select 'Settings', click 'Syncing'.
    The sync would automagically happen.

Now I've upgraded to 1Password 5 (I'm on v5.3.2 and OS X 10.10.5) and 1Password for iOS (v6.0.1 on iOS 9.0.2).
Since the upgrade to 1Password 5 I go into Preferences and select 'Wi-Fi Server' and follow the directions and such.
The sync appears to start - it says 'Syncing...'. The problem is, it never finishes, and never ends up updating my iPhone's vault.
It just continues to say 'Syncing'. With 1Password 4 it would sync very fast.

I do not wish to use Dropbox for my Keychain backup and syncing. Is there perhaps something I am missing?
Maybe the reason the iOS app never stops saying 'Syncing' could be that it needs to sync from the ground up this time, and previous syncs were delta increments of changes only? That's all I can think of.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

J

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Wi-Fi

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I'd recommend re-booting both of your devices and trying again. I'm using wifi sync with pretty much the same versions of 1P as you and it's been working flawlessly ever since the latest Yosemite upgrades. If that doesn't work please try re-booting your router as well.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@justinjustice: 1Password 5 uses the same Wi-Fi Sync engine introduced in 1Password, so something else has changed in your network environment.

It is important to remember that there is a lot that can go wrong with Wi-Fi in general. I know you've probably tried some of these steps already, but I want to make sure that we account for every point of failure this time. Please try each of the following:

Make sure your devices are connected to the same network!

1. Reset device Wi-Fi (both devices)
    2. Restart OS (both devices)
    3. Soft-reset router (if possible)
    4. Hard-reset router
    5. Reset sync settings (both devices)
    6. Forget the Wi-Fi network and reconnect
    7. Disable software firewall
    8. Disable security software
    9. If security or firewall software turns out to be the issue, turning it back on and setting an exception for the traffic may work, provided that is an option.*

*You'll need to open UDP port 5353 for both outbound and inbound traffic, which is the port that Bonjour (Apple's zeroconfig implementation) uses for connecting available services on the network.

Keep in mind that you may need to set this up in your router as well if it is blocking traffic, but generally that won't be the case.

You can also set up an ad-hoc connection to eliminate the router as the problem:

How to create an ad-hoc wireless network

And finally, if your Wi-Fi setup is simply not conducive to syncing, you can always use Dropbox Sync instead, which tends to work better since they handle all the heavy lifting, rather than depending on your network configuration. And of course keep in mind that your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data.

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

This discussion has been closed.