5s phone erased & new software loaded

Options
cccdaly
cccdaly
Community Member

Apple erased phone and loaded new software. When I open the app it is
asking to either create a new vaults or sync with iCloud, dropbox or Wi-Fi.
When I choose sync with iCloud,
message says no existing data. How
do I get all my passwords back?

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @cccdaly,

By default your 1Password data is only stored on the device you create it on. Deleting the 1Password app from the device, erasing the device, or otherwise losing access to the device will cause you to lose access to your 1Password data (as will forgetting the Master Password). To help prevent this sort of data loss we offer a number of sync options, plus a backup option for those who either do not wish to sync or recognize that sync is not truly a backup and want a backup on top of sync. You can read about syncing here:

https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/syncing.html

And you can read about backing up here:

https://support.1password.com/ios-itunes-backups/

Note that any of these options would need to be completed prior to losing access to the data on the phone. Once the data is lost, unfortunately it is likely completely gone.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• cccdaly
    cccdaly
    Community Member
    Options

I still have the same device. My phone software had to be erased.

It would have been nice to know that everything I put in this app would be lost. I think this is terrible that I was not told by Apple or it was never mentioned when I initially created my original vault.

I want to make sure that everything that I had in this app is not stored and available to get by anyone?

Please tell me what is the advantage of having this app if it will be erased when there are problems with the phone? I was a big fan of this app and have gotten a lot of people to use it but now that everything is lost I can't say this anymore.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @cccdaly,

I'm really sorry the consequences of erasing the device were not explained to you.

There are a number of measures that can be taken to avoid any data loss in the event of a problem with a device (lost, stolen, broken, erased, ...). You can sync your data, and/or back it up, so that it exists elsewhere besides just the one device.

Unfortunately any of these would've needed to have been completed prior to the issue requiring your phone be erased.

My apologies.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.