I am having issues Wi-Fi syncing with 1Password 3.8

I have version 3.8.222 and cannot sync at all from my iPhone. Also, I tried to sync via IP address and will not update any of my new passwords on from my iPhone. I also downloaded the new 1Password from the app store and still cannot get it to import my old data into the new app. It takes me there but it will not transfer or prompt me to transfer anything. Please help!

1Password Version: 3.8.222
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Yosemite
Sync Type: Wi-Fi
Referrer: kb:bundle-license, kb:diagnostics, kb:legacy-wifi-sync

Comments

• Hi @juju82385,

Can I ask, what version of 1Password for iOS are you running? If you're unsure at all this page, Which version of 1Password am I running? will help.

Wi-Fi Sync though changed drastically in 1Password 4 on both OS X and iOS Indeed it changed so much that the two are incompatible. It means Wi-Fi Sync in 1Password 3 is only between copies of 1Password 3 on both platforms while Wi-Fi Sync in any combination of 1Password 4 and 5 can communicate via Wi-Fi Sync.

Once we know what version you're running on your iPhone we can detail your options.

• Mac_Mom
    Mac_Mom
    Community Member

I have iOS 8.4.1 with 1Password 3.7 and a legacy version of 1 Password 3.8.22 but cannot sync by wi-fi to the Mac because there is no sync menu in the Mac version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mac_Mom: Sorry for the confusion! There is no sync menu in 1Password 3. Rather, compatible devices detected on your local network will appear under the ▼ Sync option in the sidebar on the left. Please follow the instructions in this guide to set it up:

Wi-Fi Sync setup (1Password 3)

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• Mac_Mom
    Mac_Mom
    Community Member

That worked great! I was able to sync the data & 1Password 4 for iOS worked perfectly until...
    To correct some issues on my phone (non AgileBits related) I reset my iPhone 5s running iOS 8.4.1. From what I've read, that deletes 1Password data so it no longer recognizes my master password. Should I delete my 1Password 4 on my iPhone and reinstall it then sync my data again? (And what is the format of that data so I can find the file again? I have 1Password 4 on my Mac as well.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mac_Mom: Ack! Well, you'll need to do it all over again then, I'm afraid. Yes, deleting an iOS app also removes all of its data. :dizzy:

Fortunately it sounds like you have your 1Password vault safely stored on your Mac (hopefully), so you'll just need to install 1Password on your iPhone and set up sync between your devices again to get your data over there.

If you can tell me definitively the OS and 1Password versions you're using now on all devices and where you have your 1Password data I'll be happy to give more specific instructions! :)

• Mac_Mom
    Mac_Mom
    Community Member

I have 1Password 4.5.3 for iOS on iPhone 5s and am running 1Password 4.4.3 on a MacBook Pro running OS 10.9.5. I also have a legacy copy of 1Password 3.8.22. I actually located the backup I made before installing 4.5.3 on my iPhone! I saved it to a folder just in case. :) This is the file name: 1Password0100-20150928.1ptbackup in that folder.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I actually located the backup I made before installing 4.5.3 on my iPhone!

@Mac_Mom: Yesss! The .1ptbackup is just what we need! :love:

Please follow the steps in this guide, starting with the section called "Rename your 1Password 3 backup", since you already have this:

[How do I upgrade from 1Password 3 on iOS?(https://support.1password.com/upgrade-ios/#1password-3-7-1-or-earlier)

To be clear, you will need 1Password for iOS version 5.3 or higher (you can run 5.5 on iOS 8, and version 6 once you upgrade to iOS 9) to import your data in this fashion, so be sure to update if you haven't already. That will also make things much smoother for you, since you won't need the copy of 1Password 3 on the Mac and you can stick with 1Password 4 there (although upgrading to OS X El Capitan will allow you to use 1Password for Mac version 5).

Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• Mac_Mom
    Mac_Mom
    Community Member

Thanks for the help. I may have downloaded 1Password 6 for iOS because it wouldn't do anything and I realized there was no way to download 1Password 5 for iOS anymore (unless you guys have a way for me to do that). Finally I deleted 6 and restored my 1Password 4.4.3 from iTunes. I put the renamed Password 3 into Tunes but neither version (4 nor 6) would read it. I also tried uploading the renamed file to Dropbox, but (I think it was the 1Password 6) a msg said it couldn't find it.

I was also able to restore my 1Password 3 for iOS and eventually synced it w/ my Desktop version 3. However, even tho v3 for iOS offered to migrate to v4 for iOS it didn't, and when I asked v4 for iOS to get it from v3 for iOS it wouldn't do so, either. Although, after trying several times I noticed the data from my v3 for iOS was there in my v4 for iOS and I have no idea at what point that happened. I never saw anything to confirm the transfer. At this point I restored my v3 for iOS from my original backup file so I could manually move the info over to v4 for iOS. Luckily I only had 17 files. Even I was astonished by that but I guess I had stopped using it much due to the actual interface and only used it to look up passwords. I manually copied over the 5 pieces of data I didn't already have from my v3 for iOS onto my v4 for iOS.
    I also noticed that my v3 for desktop seems to be updating itself somehow. Is there a way I can save its data AND move it from my Mac so if I have to do this again for some strange reason I'll have it? Likewise, can I save my versions 3 & 4 for iOS along with their data?
    I know this is a lot but I find having backups is lifesaving!
    Thanks again for all you've done.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Mac_Mom,

You will never hear me say a bad word against backups, like all 1Password users, my life is stored in a vault and should I ever lose it I am totally screwed. I use a unique email address for each site so I can't even reset a password. So backups are vital.

What I'm a little puzzled by is the number of backups you seem to want. If you're running iOS 9 then your iOS device is capable of running 1Password 6 for iOS. I fully understand ensuring you have a good backup for that but why 1Password 3 and 4 as well? The only reason I keep older versions of 1Password for iOS around is for when somebody can't upgrade their iOS device and are using a specific version. If it wasn't for this need I would only keep the most current version.

Assuming you've now made the transition from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4 (or newer), then assuming your Mac and iOS devices remain synchronised, backups of your vault from 1Password 4 for Mac are all you need. The reason why is you can restore a copy of 1Password 4/5 for Mac or 1Password 4+ for iOS using a backup from 1Password 4/5 for Mac - basically they share code here and so the backups are identical.

If you still have a need for 1Password 3 on either an older Mac or iOS device I can certainly see a possible usefulness although 1Password 4/5 for Mac can always easily create a Agile Keychain.

So I certainly won't dissuade you from backups, but I'm wondering if we can simplify a bit to make your life easier. What do you think?

This discussion has been closed.