Windows converter keepass to 1password

Hi,

I've seen some converters around to import a keepass db to 1password but they all seem to be for linux/perl systems.
I am searching for an easy Windows tool to get my Keepass db into 1password. I hope anyone can help here?

Kind regards
sparky

1Password Version: 4.6.0.586
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Hi @sparky76,

We'd love to help you get your data into 1Password, @MrC wrote the scripts that you're referring to and he will make sure the script works for you. At the moment, we don't have an easier GUI tool but it is something we want to add to 1Password in the future.

Perl is not restricted to Linux, it can work on many popular platforms and our converter scripts work on Windows as well. There is a tutorial PDF file included in the download for the scripts, which you can find here here: https://github.com/AgileBits/onepassword-utilities I'd recommend reading the bottom of the page to see how to proceed.

If you're stuck on anything, let us know and we'll help you.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi @sparky,

I'm here to help. The latest version of the converters is always at this location. Start with post #1 there. Those on the site linked by MikeT above are awaiting update to the 1.06 version.

Are you using Keepass 2 or KeepassX ? I just updated the Keepass 2 converter to both fix an issue, and to support converting attachments. See the 1.07 version in the _testing folder of my AgileBits Utilities folder.

• simonides
    simonides
    Community Member

Hi Sparky: Keepass 2 has a function to export a .csv file which can easily be imported into 1Password. I wonder if you already tried this? From Keepass, just select File | Export and select Keepass CSV (1.x) format. Then in 1Password, File | Import.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2015

@simonides,

Keepass 2 can export to CSV, and 1Password for Windows can import that data. However, you must convert the exported file to UTF-8 (Using Notepad is sufficient) to avoid some characters from being botched due to Mojibake.

Besides the newly added attachment support, the converter will also place into Secure Notes items that have no username/password/URL (e.g. they are essentially just notes-only entries), it can set the Last Modified date of the item, handle the Keepass 2 groups (into 1Password Folders and Tags), and include the Custom Fields from an Entry. The CSV version will not do these things, and it will fail to import some items that have empty fields.

• simonides
    simonides
    Community Member

Hey MrC, sounds like you've added an impressive set of benefits. Thanks for putting the record straight.

• That's MrC for you!

• TheThor
    TheThor
    Community Member

I have well over 400 entries in keepass. so how do i make sure it gets everything without retyping it? I tried SafeinCloud but it won't let me wifi sync. But it did migrate keepass properly including place entries into the folders i had. I like this app. i bought the android app too. but i really need the migration ability.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@TheThor,

Which format are you wanting to import - the KeePass 2 exported CSV? Are you OK with the limitations mentioned above?

If you want to be sure you get everything, with the best possible migration, you really do want to use the converters. There might be other ways, like importing into some other app, and exporting that app's data, but you're kind of on your own exploring how well that will work out. Don't let the number of steps or length of the instructions overwhelm you. They were written so that folks like you can do one thing at a time, and get the job done reliably, and to suite the needs of both Mac and PC users, for all the different password managers. Most of the stuff won't apply to you.

Ask if you want help.

• TheThor
    TheThor
    Community Member

I would like to import keepass v2 so the best choice to get everything possible modified date? is to use your converter app. but i see mention there's a 1.0.7 to fix some bugs. So which should i use 1.0.6 or 07? Need something stable and not need to do this multiple times.
    Also will it put all login/websites/bank etc.. into their respective folders or do i need to move things? I tried moving some around in 1password. There's no way to change it from login to something else once i imported using csv.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2015

@TheThor,

Use the 1.07 version. It fixes one rare bug which would only trigger if you are using the --modified option to set the records last modified time. The other change was to support attachment decoding.

It is "stable". I place it under _testing because I generally like to group a few fixes, improvements and changes together as a batch before I push it out for general consumption. This allows me to work with users to find the best solutions for them.

KeePass 2 supports essentially Login items. You can of course customize a record to add custom fields, place records in folders (aka Groups), but their is not specialization to to KeePass' record types - they are all records that have Title, URL, Username, Password, and Notes fields. The converter will categorize your items into Login or Secure Notes, depending upon the values stored in those fields.

The converter cannot know in advance about your own personal KeePass customization, and what you intend by that customization. For example, if you have added some custom field named Card #, and place such records into some Group named My Credit Cards, the converter cannot know that you've intended these to be your Credit Cards. It cannot take such records and convert them into 1Password Credit Card records. Not without teaching it about your records. If you have many records with custom fields, and those fields have some uniqueness about them, then it is possible to customize the converter to do many additional things. Ask more about this if you are interested.

You are correct - 1Password does not yet support a means to move a record from one category to another. You'll have to create a new record and copy/paste the data to the new record.

• TheThor
    TheThor
    Community Member

I don't have custom fields but i do have separate folders for email, websites,game logins and such. so I'm guessing i lose all those custom folders only and without the move option i can't fix that without copy and pasting. So this app doesn't support creating types records. i would have to add fields to current records? Is there a new version coming out soon perhaps? Thanks for the quick responses.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2015

@TheThor,

Ok, so no custom fields. So all you have are a bunch of Login records, or possibly Notes.

You will not lose your groupings. The converter will retain your Keepass 2 groups (folders). It will reproduce your folder hierarchy as Tags. You can also use the converter's --folder option to create Folders in 1Password. Tags will still retain the hierarchy too.

You can create Smart Folders, based on those Tags. You are confusing KeePass' "groups" (which are nothing more than hierarchical tags, where records are shown in the folder tree) with 1Password's specific Categories where some categories are used for specific actions in 1Password (i.e. logins, credit card fill, identity fill).

You can create Folders and move your entries into whatever folder as you see fit. A folder is where the entry lives, a category is the type of thing selected when you created the entry. It is the category that can't be changed.

1Password has much more richer Section and Field customization than Keepass 2 does.

You can create a template entry, which you duplicate, that acts as your custom entry. Add the sections and fields you want to a record, save it, and duplicate it later when you want another item of that type.

• TheThor
    TheThor
    Community Member

I needed categories able to be changed. Does the IOS version have it and win not or did they just never work on it? I will try your converter thanks. Do you happen to know if the Win/Mac version includes 5 family members and if Win alone does as well? i seen this:

"Quote from abrenty View Post :
    Anything from Google Play or the iOS and Mac App Stores are separate purchases, since these are owned and operated by Google and Apple respectively.
    2. The bundle is 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows. If you purchase it, it will entitle you and up to 5 other family members to use 1Password on all of your Macs and PCs. Android and iOS are completely separate, as the purchase is tied to your Google Account and Apple ID respectively; there is no license. But since it's tied to your store account, if you're using the same one on multiple devices, the in-app purchase will be unlocked for each as well.

Sharing a 1Password for Mac or Windows license with a family member does ~not~ share your data (although that is optional with Dropbox Sync [1password.com]). You only need to share a Master Password if you share a vault, as the Master Password is used to decrypt it.

I hope that helps clear things up! And no worries, it can be a bit confusing with different stores involved depending on the platform. :)
    "

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TheThor: Hello again! :lol: 1Password does not currently have a custom categories feature, if that's what you mean. Please see my answer to your licensing question here. Cheers! ;)

This discussion has been closed.