Integration with Launchbar [indexing issue fixed with LaunchBar 6.6]

Options
smollica2
smollica2
Community Member
edited March 2016 in Mac

I have begun to get the message "Integration with 3rd party apps is disabled in 1Password." etc. I have followed instructions and allowed third party apps, but have no success getting rid of this message at restart. What's up? Thanks, Sal

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: 10.11
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:I have begun to get the message "Integration with 3rd party apps is disabled in 1Password." etc. I have followed instructions and allowed third party apps, but have no success getting rid of this message at restart. What's up? Thanks, Sal

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @smollica2,

Here are things to check for getting LaunchBar integration with 1Password working properly:

• Make sure Enable integration with 3rd party apps is enabled under 1Password's Advanced Preferences. Sounds like you've already got that covered.

• Make sure 1Password Bookmarks is enabled in the LaunchBar Index sidebar and that Prefer App Store version is enabled under the Options tab if you're running the Mac App Store version of 1Password.

All 1Password Bookmarks that LaunchBar can use (currently only from the Primary vault) will be listed under the Index tab.

• Make sure LaunchBar's Clipboard History default keyboard shortcuts aren't interfering with 1Password's; see this post for more info.

I hope that helps. Being a LaunchBar user, I'm sure I can help you fix this if you're still stuck. :)

Cheers!

• smollica2
    smollica2
    Community Member
    Options

I believe I've followed all this and still get the message at startup. 1Password shows in Third Party Apps. I do not see option to Prefer App Store version.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Sal

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hi @smollica2,

Yep, I have other ideas. :)

After confirming Enable integration with 3rd party apps is enabled under Advanced Preferences in the main 1Password app, press the ⌃⌘Q keyboard shortcut to quit 1Password and 1Password.

The Prefer App Store version option is under the Options tab of the LaunchBar Index window.

• Open the LaunchBar app
    • Select Index > Show Index from the menu or press the ⌥⌘I keyboard shortcut
    • Select 1Password Bookmarks under Third Party Apps in the LaunchBar Index window sidebar; make sure it's not disabled (with the "No Entry Sign" symbol)
    • Select the Options tab and make sure Prefer App Store version is enabled if you're using the Mac App Store version of 1Password

Here's a newer example from LaunchBar 6.5:

I have Prefer App Store version disabled because I'm using the AgileBits website version of 1Password.

Now open 1Password again; is the Integration with 3rd party apps is disabled in 1Password. error gone now?

• smollica2
    smollica2
    Community Member
    Options

Nope. I still get the same error message. I also find it interesting that in the error message there is a button to open 1Password and it has no effect if I select it.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @smollica2,

Sorry that this is still giving you trouble. There is an explanation for it, just that we need to keep pecking away at the possibilities until we find it.

Let's check if LaunchBar is indexing the 1Password data:

• Quit the 1Password app
    • Quit and reopen the LaunchBar app
    • Select Index > Show Index from the LaunchBar app menu or press the ⌥⌘I keyboard shortcut
    • Select 1Password Bookmarks under Third Party Apps in the LaunchBar Index window sidebar; make sure it's not disabled (with the "No Entry Sign" symbol)
    • Select the Index tab and see if 1Password Bookmark items are listed there, similar to this:

You can close that LaunchBar Index window, then:

• Reopen the 1Password app
    • Click OK in the Integration with 3rd party apps is disabled in 1Password. error dialog if it still pops up (hopefully not!)
      • This doesn't work, as you've noticed:

I also find it interesting that in the error message there is a button to open 1Password and it has no effect if I select it.

I'll have a better idea where the problem is, if it's still happening, once I know if 1Password Bookmark items are indexed in LaunchBar and the specific version of 1Password you're using. Also, do you only have one copy of 1Password installed? And would you be comfortable running some commands from the Terminal app?

Thanks for your assistance with troubleshooting this problem!

• smollica2
    smollica2
    Community Member
    Options

Here's the 1 PW version and a screenshot of the 1PW index. Looks empty to me!?

1Password
    Version 5.3 (530029)
    Mac App Store

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @smollica2,

That screenshot confirms that no 1Password data has been indexed by LaunchBar; thanks! Next we want to make sure it's checking for that data in the right place and that it actually exists.

To do that, please take and a post screenshot of the Options tab for 1Password Bookmarks in LaunchBar, like in my first and second replies? And also one of the Advanced Preferences tab in 1Password.

Answers to these question would still be helpful:

Also, do you only have one copy of 1Password installed? And would you be comfortable running some commands from the Terminal app?

Thanks for methodically and patiently working through this to reach where the trouble spot actually is.

• smollica2
    smollica2
    Community Member
    Options

I believe I have only one copy of 1PW installed. My data is kept in Dropbox and yes, I would be able to use the terminal.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @smollica2,

Thanks for those new screenshots and answers to questions. The first screenshot clearly shows where the trouble is: the Prefer App Store version is missing under the Options tab. The oldest reference I've found for it is in this July 27, 2012 Macdrifter post: Launchbar, Mountain Lion and 1Password. That was in version 5. Which version of LaunchBar are you running and are you able to upgrade?

Glad we've now identified why this hasn't been working for you. :+1:

• smollica2
    smollica2
    Community Member
    Options

Launchbar 6.5. It appears to be the latest.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yup, 6.5 is the latest version of LaunchBar right now.

I do not know why Prefer App Store version isn't showing up for you under the Options tab. Your best bet would be to contact Objective Development directly for assistance with that, referring them to this forum discussion if you'd like.

Something you could check is if the bookmarks-default.json file for 3rd party app integration has been created by 1Password, even though LaunchBar isn't indexing it yet. You can do that by copying this single line and pasting it into a Terminal window:

ls -l ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/3rd\ Party\ Integration

Output will look similar to this if the file exists:

total 8 -rw-r--r--@ 1 agilebits staff 844 Oct 16 08:31 bookmarks-default.json

If it doesn't exist, try toggling Enable integration with 3rd party apps off and on under Advanced Preferences. It wouldn't hurt to do that in any case.

Wish I had something else to offer that could get this working. Hopefully Objective Development is able to help you on the LaunchBar end. Please let us know how that goes!

• rdonle
    rdonle
    Community Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I'm having the exact same symptom, and I have the App Store version of 1Password (5.4) as well. "Enable 3rd party apps" seems to be working fine and I have the bookmarks-default.json 3rd party file.

Interestingly, things work great with LaunchBar version 6.4.1-- it's just version 6.5 that poses the problem.

I've started a thread on the Objective Development forum here:
    https://forums.obdev.at/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10098

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for starting that Objective Development Forums discussion, @rdonle. Hope you'll get some feedback there!

The image in my earlier post of the Options tab from LaunchBar shows the Prefer App Store version option. I have not found any way for it not to be there.

@smollica2 might be a bit relieved not to be the only one with this problem. :)

• smollica2
    smollica2
    Community Member
    Options

This is what I got using the terminal command.

• smollica2
    smollica2
    Community Member
    Options

This looks like my problem and was found at the Launchbar Forum.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @smollica2,

Thanks for verifying that 1Password has created the ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/3rd Party Integration/bookmarks-default.json file.

At this point it's out of 1Password's hands and all up to LaunchBar to properly access and index data from that file. I suggest following up with Objective Development, perhaps in the same thread that @rdonle started on their forums:

I've started a thread on the Objective Development forum here:
    https://forums.obdev.at/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10098

As his reply here mentions:

Interestingly, things work great with LaunchBar version 6.4.1-- it's just version 6.5 that poses the problem.

You could try temporarily reverting to LaunchBar 6.4.1 see if that helps, although it and other earlier versions don't seem to be available on the Objective Development site.

Disabling and reenabling 1Password Bookmarks under Third Party Apps in the LaunchBar Index window sidebar is worth a try so see if that gets Prefer App Store version to show up under the Options tab. Or something more drastic like removing LaunchBar preferences to reset it.

Objective Development support or folks on their forums more familiar with LaunchBar than I am might have other ideas. I'm afraid I've now run dry on all of mine and do hope you're able to find a solution!

• rdonle
    rdonle
    Community Member
    Options

I worked with Benjamin at obdev support and he asked if I had a 1Password prefs file at ~/Library/Preferences/com.agilebits.onepassword4.plist. Turns out I had quite a bit of 1Password prefs files:

rdonle-mbp::~/Library/Preferences$ ls -la *agile*
    -rw-------  1 rdonle  staff  1133 Oct 21  2014 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper.plist
    -rw-------  1 rdonle  staff   132 Jan 14  2012 com.agilebits.onepassword-osx.plist
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 rdonle  staff     0 Jan 14  2012 com.agilebits.onepassword-osx.plist.lockfile*
    -rw-------  1 rdonle  staff   125 Oct 21  2014 com.agilebits.onepassword4.plist
    -rw-------  1 rdonle  staff   260 Sep  9  2011 ws.agile.-PasswordThumbs.plist
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 rdonle  staff     0 Sep  9  2011 ws.agile.-PasswordThumbs.plist.lockfile*
    -rw-------  1 rdonle  staff  2398 Nov 28  2011 ws.agile.1Password.plist
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 rdonle  staff     0 Sep  9  2011 ws.agile.1Password.plist.lockfile*
    rdonle-mbp::~/Library/Preferences$

I deleted everything but the 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper.plist file, and restarted LaunchBar. No error about missing 3rd party compatibility file, and all of my 1Password bookmarks are indexed! I'm guessing LaunchBar had trouble determining which version of 1Password I had installed with all of those pref files.

Thanks to Benjamin at ObDev and @sjk at AgileBits for creating the two most important apps on my Mac and supporting them well!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Wow! Thanks for the update. On behalf of sjk, you're most welcome! I'm not quite sure how you ended up with so many of those, but I'm glad that it's working now after a bit of autumn cleaning. it sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

• sgmiller
    sgmiller
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem with 1Passwork bookmarks not being indexed but I ran the command above and manually checked and there is no ~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/3rd Party Integration/bookmarks-default.json file. I tried checking and unchecking the "Integration with 3rd party apps" box with no luck.

Please help.

1Password 5
    Version 5.4.1 (541003)
    Agile Web Store

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sgmiller,

When Enable integration with 3rd party apps is enabled in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac it creates the bookmarks-default.json file in a different location than with the Mac App Store version. You can check if it exists by running this command in a Terminal window (instead of the one in my earlier post):

ls -l ~/Library/Application\ Support/1Password\ 4/3rd\ Party\ Integration

Output will still look something like this if the file's been created:

total 16
    -rw-r--r--  1 agilebits  staff  5244 Nov  5 00:24 bookmarks-default.json

Also make sure Prefer App Store version is not enabled under the Options tab of 1Password Bookmarks (which does need to be enabled) in the LaunchBar Index window, seen in the image of another earlier post. Click the circle-arrow at the bottom to update the index after disabling that.

Hoping that's successful for you; please let us know. :)

• sgmiller
    sgmiller
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I verified that the .json files exists but there is not 1Password Bookmarks listing nor even a Third-Party Apps section in the LB Index window (see attached screenshot).

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sgmiller,

If you click the + in the bottom right corner of the LaunchBar Index window you might by able to add the Third Party Apps > 1Password Bookmarks indexing rule from there.

If that doesn't work I'm afraid it's an issue with LaunchBar beyond my understanding so you might want to contact Objective Development for help with that. At least we now know 1Password has successfully fulfilled its part of the bargain by creating a bookmarks-default.json file; thanks for confirming that. :)

• sgmiller
    sgmiller
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.....

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sgmiller,

I was able to add missing Third Party Apps and 1Password Bookmarks to the LaunchBar Index using Add a new indexing rule.

Before:

During:

After:

Hope that works for you, too! :+1:

• sgmiller
    sgmiller
    Community Member
    Options

I just received the same answer from LaunchBar support and yes it works....I don't know why I never tried that. Oh well!

Thanks again for outstanding support.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of sjk, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that did the trick — and that the LaunchBar folks were equally helpful! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• oshloel
    oshloel
    Community Member
    Options

As I understand it, only the items in the Primary Vault show up in LaunchBar currently. I can understand that limitation when the vast majority of 1pw users had a single or truly primary vault; however, now that 1PW supports Teams and display of multiple vaults, it's a more significant limitation. I've moved a large number of login and other items I had been manually sharing with my wife to a new true Shared secondary vault. Doing so means that now those items are not available in LaunchBar.

I presume this is a limitation imposed by 1PW vs LaunchBar. Are there any plans afoot to expand what 1pw writes out to the json file to include all selected visible vaults?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @oshloel,

Like you've mentioned, the bookmarks-default.json file that 1Password can optionally export only includes overview data for items from the Primary vault for indexing by LaunchBar (and other third party app usage). We have an open request for secondary vault item data to also be included so I've noted your interest and reasons there. Being a LaunchBar user, I have a personal interest in this as well. :)

ref: OPM-3322

• smollica2
    smollica2
    Community Member
    Options

How do I correct this?

Thanks

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @smollica2,

Do you happen to have more than one 1Password app installed on your computer? Try a Spotlight search for 1Password to check that.

This discussion has been closed.