i do not see the iCloud sync option in 1Password for my Mac running El Capitan and 1Password 5

Options
microview
microview
Community Member

New laptop. Installed El Capitan. Downloaded 1Password from App Store. Open with I have used it before. Find no option to use iCloud.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: ug:mac/new-computer, ug:mac/new-computer-icloud, kb-search:iCloud sync, kb:icloud-requires-mac-app-store

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @microview,

When you select 1Password > Preferences > Sync from the menu bar, in the drop-down menu after "Sync Primary vault with:" do you not see iCloud as an option there? If not, then you are most likely looking at the AgileBits Store version of the app. The easy way to check that is the menu bar: if the first menu is called "1Password," then it's the Mac App Store version. If it's called "1Password 5," that's the version from the AgileBits Store.

The Mac App Store version is required for iCloud sync, but it sounds like you already knew that.

• microview
    microview
    Community Member
    Options

No. I purchased and downloaded it from the App store. When I click "I've used 1Password before" I see iCloud selection for a second as the first choice then it disappears. There is no iCloud option in 1password > Preferences > Sync. As you can see from the screen shot the first menu bar item is 1Passsword, no 1Password 5.

screenshot

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

If you go to the 1Password menu and click on About 1Password, what does the resulting screen say? It will tell you which store your copy came from. Mine shows that it came from the Agile Web Store:

• midiw
    midiw
    Community Member
    Options

Please excuse me for barging in on this topic.

I am somewhat frustrated that Agile Web Store version excludes my ability from using this great application from using it in iCloud when i am using it in El Capitan ?

I've read the reasons but still baffled why the application it's self can't recognize the Mas OS system and simply zero ( the circle slash ) out that feature if the Mac OS is not El Capitan ( 10.11 ). For example, when i am running ElCapitan and try to run an application that is not programmed for El Capitan it simply will not launch or i see the circle slash on the application. . Or vise versa if i am running Maverick i can't launch programmes that are strictly El Capitan. In other words the systems seems to be programmed to know.

Is there no terminal script to over come the sandbox Apple has in all reality imposed on the user ?

Rant: in my thirty years of using Apple computers/software apple seems to be getting more paranoid with each operating system they bring out.

• Hey @midiw! Sorry for the confusion on the AgileBits Store version and iCloud capability. To clarify: CloudKit sync is not possible with software outside of the Mac App Store. If you'd like to learn more about why, please check out this blog post.

I've read the reasons but still baffled why the application it's self can't recognize the Mas OS system and simply zero ( the circle slash ) out that feature if the Mac OS is not El Capitan ( 10.11 ). For example, when i am running ElCapitan and try to run an application that is not programmed for El Capitan it simply will not launch or i see the circle slash on the application.

1Password 5 is fully compatible with El Capitan. The incompatible symbol you're talking about is for legacy software from OS 9, which is incredibly old. If software is too new for an OS, like in the case of Mavericks, it will not work correctly due to there being new APIs and other capabilities present in the most modern OS that simply don't exist in the older one.

Is there no terminal script to over come the sandbox Apple has in all reality imposed on the user ?

Are you asking about a Terminal command that would defeat sandboxing? It exists to protect the user and their data, so I don't see any reason why this would be necessary.

• midiw
    midiw
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your patience/response to my questions.

I may be getting my Terminal commands confused. For example, i rely extensively on using Default Folder because it's like living without 1Password.

The current version of Default Folder does not work in El Capitan. However until the new version comes out the developer has posted how you turn off System Integrity Protection which i have done and have not suffered from doing so but had complete use of Default Folder.

So i wonder why there is no Terminal command to defeat sandboxing.

I somewhat understand why Apple has made the system safe ( for the crowd that buys there one dollar software ) but it sure makes working with the system a huge pain in the studio. For example, how many times do i have to be asked if i want to open an application even the ones i have purchased.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @midiw,

Even if it was possible to disable sandboxing, we would still have to include functionality in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password that it shouldn't use and that will undoubtedly be grounds for getting kicked out of the App Store. Such an event would mean the complete loss of 1Password for iOS given it's linked to the same Apple ID. I'm sure you can see why we would never risk such an action. I understand your desire but you're exploring a bad route I'm afraid.

You're not wrong, OS X is becoming more and more locked down but the fact is it actually has to. Connect an unknown device to your Firewire or Thunderbolt port and it could completely hose your machine, just over the weekend I read about somebody creating what looked like a USB pen drive but it was designed to administer a massive electric shock to damage the machine and a host of other awful things out there. The world is a hostile place and we sadly need the operating system to glare at everything and ask what the heck do they think they're doing.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @microview,

We lost sight a bit there regarding your plea for help. Are you still having trouble?

• midiw
    midiw
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks very much for the clarity and providing me with a different/proper perspective.

I'm OK at this time littlebobbytables.

• microview
    microview
    Community Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Proving for the third time, the version I'm having issues with is from the App store. imgur.com/mxlpzT3 I know, shocker right?

Like I mentioned at the beginning. I see the iCloud option the moment I click "I've used 1Password before" but in a split second it disappears.

• @microview Thank you for posting that screenshot and getting back to us about this. Are you currently signed in to iCloud on your computer, and are other apps syncing to it okay? Could you try giving this guide a read and seeing if the info there helps move things along? The option disappearing may mean that your account simply isn't signed in properly or that iCloud Drive isn't enabled.

Let us know how that goes!

• microview
    microview
    Community Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Yes, I'm signed into iCloud and none of the other apps are having issues syncing. I also have iCloud drive enabled and is visible in my Finder sidebar. The iCloud drive, Photos, mail, contacts, calendars, reminders, Safari, Notes, and Keychain are all syncing in iCloud on my iMac. Only the 1Password app is having issues.

From the guide:
    Are you using iOS 8 or 9 and OS X 10.10? Yes 10.11
    Is iOS and OS X running the latest version? Yes
    Are you running 1Password 5 or 6 on all your devices? No, I am using 1Password from the App store on all devices.
    Are you using the 1Password version from the Mac App Store? Yes
    Are you using the most up-to-date version of 1Password? Yes
    Is iCloud Drive enabled on all of your devices? Yes
    Are you signed into the same Apple ID on each device? Yes
    Is iCloud enabled within 1Password on all of your devices? Yes, *see "Notes" below.

Try toggling iCloud Drive off and then turn it back on again. Completed. All folders were recreated and filled with items. But no agile bits folder is seen.
    Log out of your iCloud account and then log back in. This is a great time to triple check that you’re using the same iCloud account everywhere. Completed
    Reboot your device. Completed
    Try Disabling and re-enabling cellular data on your iOS device. Completed.
    Create a brand new item on one of your devices with a title like Testing iCloud Sync. Wait a few minutes and then see if it appears on your other devices.

• I created a new Note on my phone and it appears on my iMac notes.

I'm still not getting an iCloud option to check on 1Password.

Notes:
    On my iPhone I look under iCloud Drive and see 1Password is enabled. 1Password works on my iPhone.
    On my iMac > System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Options. I see 1Password listed as an App that store documents and data in iCloud.

• yes i unchecked it, saved, returned and rechecked it.
      On my iMac > System Preferences > iCloud. I click the manage button and I see 1Password under Manage Storage is using 865KB.
      On my iMac > Finder > iCloud Drive I do not see any folder related to 1Password or Agilebits.
  • peri
    Options

Hey @microview. I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports from your Mac and iOS devices:

--Mac--
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

--iOS--
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• microview
    microview
    Community Member
    Options

Sent.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @microview,

Thanks for sending that Report in! I took a quick look in our system, but I was unable to find an email from the address you have listed in your forum profile. You should have received an automated email response when you sent the Report in. If you could let me know the Support ID that you received from our BitBot assistant, I'd be happy to track it down and ensure that it gets answered quickly. :)

• microview
    microview
    Community Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Oh I see, I used a different email when I sent those in. Sorry about that.

[#XDJ-79155-644] for iOS
    [#IBP-24927-922] for Mac OSX

ref: #XDJ-79155-644
    ref: #IBP-24927-922

• Jacob
    edited October 2015
    Options

@microview Just wanted to let you know that we have received your diagnostic reports and we'll move this conversation over there for now. :)

• alex517
    alex517
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I think I've made a dreadful mistake! Apparently I needed to buy the 1PSsword licence from the Apple App Store, in order to get the version that syncs with iCloud---that's an absolute requirement for me. I've just bought the Agilebits Mac-Windows bundle to save $20, but Windows is very much secondary and longer term.

I read there was a 30 day money-back guarantee when I purchased earlier today. What can you do to help? Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alex517: If you'd prefer the Mac App Store version of 1Password, simply purchase it there, and then email us at support+licenses@agilebits.com and we can take care of any necessary refunds. Cheers! :)

• alex517
    alex517
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I'll do that. Thanks so much.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! :pirate: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.