1Password not working on El Capitan

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: [icloud-faq] how to sync different browsers.

Comments

• ruki1996
    ruki1996
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

S.O.S.!

I have just installed El Capitan on my Mac laptop - and 1Password has stopped working. Your help is appreciated!

Regards,

Julius

• Jacob
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hey @ruki1996! I moved your post to the Mac forum just so it's among good company. :)

I'm sorry to hear 1Password is having some issues in El Capitan. What seems to be the particular issue? We've had one known issue with the version of the app from the AgileBits Store that causes the app to not connect to 1Password Mini. Here's the solution for that:

1. Ensure you only have a single copy of 1Password on your Mac, you will want it to reside in /Applications/.
    2. Use the following command in a Terminal window. The command is :

xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 5.app

If you're not running the AgileBits Store version of the app, let us know what the particular issue is so we can figure out what's going on. :)

• ruki1996
    ruki1996
    Community Member
    Options

Can you pse provide some screenshots on exactly how to do this? Thank you.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hi @ruki1996,

Does this help?

Click the Spotlight icon in your OS X menu bar as highlighted in this image. This is from the top right hand corner of the screen.

In the window that pops open type the word terminal. It should look something like this.

Select the Terminal application and it will open a window that looks like this (I've shrunk the window for the screenshot, yours will be more square).

You then copy and paste the following command (all a single line)

xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 5.app

and press enter. It won't say it's done anything, it will just return you to another prompt but you should find that 1Password will now launch.

Should you still have problems please do let us know.

• ruki1996
    ruki1996
    Community Member
    Options

It's working. Thank you! :-)

• Mdoerfer
    Mdoerfer
    Community Member
    Options

Great!!! It worked!!

• @ruki1996 @Mdoerfer Glad to hear everything is up and running for you guys, and that littlebobbytales' screenshots helped guide you through the process. If you have any other questions, feel free to get in touch with us.

• DoctorWhiteface
    DoctorWhiteface
    Community Member
    Options

Many Grateful Thanks for this neat little work around. Did the job like a charm!
    :) :) :) :) :)
    Cheers!

• @DoctorWhiteface No problem at all. That's why we love our forums — you can find some answers on your own very quickly. Have fun with 1Password, and we're here if you need us.

• MacDamien
    MacDamien
    Community Member
    Options

Ça marche !

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @MacDamien,

Excellente!

(I used Bing but I think I got it right).

• MacDamien
    MacDamien
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent !

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1:

• logaan
    logaan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! We're here for you if you need anything else. :chuffed:

• aiellol
    aiellol
    Community Member
    Options

Ugh.... I tried going into terminal and doing that, but it didn't work for me. Help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aiellol: I'm sorry for the trouble! It sounds like you may be having a completely separate issue than the one which is the topic of this discussion, since the Terminal command didn't help. Please follow this guide, as it will help narrow down the cause:

Extension troubleshooting

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• aiellol
    aiellol
    Community Member
    Options

So frustrated, I can't tell you. It will not load the "mini" helper. So I am starting from scratch. I moved the existing application to the Trash and downloaded it once again from your site. It STILL won't load... I'm frankly concerned that I am losing all my data. I'm crossing my fingers that the copy on my phone is good enough.

• aiellol
    aiellol
    Community Member
    Options
  • Hey @aiellol,

Have you tried following the steps mentioned in this post? If you did and they're not helping, what version of the app are you using and when did this issue start?

• aiellol
    aiellol
    Community Member
    Options

I did the terminal command to no avail. I rebooted several times. I looked for extra copies and didn't find any. I put the app in the trash and downloaded the new one... and can't even open it to get into preferences.... I recently downloaded El Capitan, although it seemed to work last week. I frankly can't remember if I used it in between then and now. I just tried the terminal command again and nothing. Question #1~ am I losing my data with all this rigamarole or am I okay that I have a copy on my phone (please say, I'm okay). Question #2. How can I fix this? I'm obviously not an IT professional :/

• @aiellol Thanks for the additional info.

am I losing my data with all this rigamarole or am I okay that I have a copy on my phone (please say, I'm okay).

As long as you didn't use an app cleaner or anything when you deleted the app, your data is safe. Even if you did, if you have everything on your phone it's safe on there as well.

How can I fix this? I'm obviously not an IT professional :/

At this point it sounds like you've tried all the troubleshooting steps, so the best option is to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac,

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• aiellol
    aiellol
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @penderworth~ I sent the diagnostics report and breathed a sigh of relief about the back-up. Crossing my fingers we can get this resolved. :)

• @aiellol Thanks for sending it! We can continue the conversation via email. :)

• aiellol
    aiellol
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for all your help. Problem resolved for those reading this thread. I had another copy, put it in the trash, and magically all was good again. I'm a happy camper... Ooooh, that might make a fun Halloween costume. gotta go... ;)

• Jacob
    edited October 2015
    Options

Anytime @aiellol. :) :+1: Have fun getting that costume sorted.

This discussion has been closed.