I want to switch to OPVault format....

Options
sfo2nrt
sfo2nrt
Community Member
edited October 2015 in Mac

Read this:

http://myers.io/2015/10/22/1password-leaks-your-data/

Want to switch data store from agilekeychain to OPVault. I'm using 1Password Mac v.5.4 on OS X 10.11

All I could find on this site is this VERY poorly written and out-of-date explanation:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/39875/getting-your-data-into-the-opvault-format

To use .opvault in 1Password 5 for Mac
If you're on the beta track of 1Password 5 for Mac from our online store…

Disable sync, if it's enabled, making sure you enable the Delete data option.

HOW DO I DISABLE SYNCH? WHAT DOES THE "DELETE DATA OPTION" DO? WHY DO I NEED TO ENABLE IT?
YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME HERE. DOESN'T ANYONE PROOFREAD THESE THINGS?

In 1Password 5 for Mac (beta), choose Help > Tools > Enable OPvault for Dropbox and Folder sync.

THIS MENU ITEM DOES NOT EXIST ON 1P V.5.4
CAN YOU PLEASE UPDATE THIS?

Re-enable sync, making sure you don't select an existing .agilekeychain or .opvault folder as the sync point.

HOW DO I RE-ENABLE SYNCH?
WHY WOULD I NOT WANT TO CHOOSE .OPVAULT? THAT'S THE FORMAT I WANT TO USE!!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:After reading this article: http://myers.io/2015/10/22/1password-leaks-your-data/

Comments

• djc
    djc
    Community Member
    Options

I came here looking for some discussion about this blog. Hoping some Agile folk chime in on it.

• sfo2nrt
    sfo2nrt
    Community Member
    Options

https://support.1password.com/switch-to-opvault/

Is this information valid for 1P Mac v.5.x?

Is it really the case that you have to run a terminal command to have 1P use the more secure data format for folder synch?!?!?!!??

1Password Version: 5.4
    Extension Version: ?
    OS Version: 10.11
    Sync Type: folder
    Referrer: kb:data-locations, kb-search:opvault, kb:switch-to-opvault

• sfo2nrt
    sfo2nrt
    Community Member
    Options

OK. After digging around on the 1P support site, here's what I was able to piece together. I'm running 1P v.5.4 on multiple Macs, and I was sharing a synch file among them using a folder I created for this purpose on iCloud Drive.

1. if you used Dropbox or (in my case) an iCloud Drive folder to synch password files across machines (so-called "Folder Synch"), your synch file is probably in the old .agilekeychain format written about in the blog post cited in my original inquiry

2. Here's what I did to switch to the more secure "OPVault" format for synching:

a. Hold down "control" key and Choose "Quit 1 Password and 1Password Mini" from the 1Password menu
    b. Make sure you Quit 1P on all machines before proceeding
    c. Go to the online folder where you have your .agilekeychain synch file saved online, and delete it
    c. Open Terminal, and execute this command to update the default settings for 1P on each machine:
    defaults write 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper useOPVaultFormatByDefault true
    d. Re-launch 1P on one of your Macs, go to the Synch tab in Preferences.
    e. When I launched, it put up a Notification saying that it couldn't find the synch file, and had a "Fix It" button to directly open the Synch Prefs in 1P Preferences.
    f. Choose Dropbox or Folder, then specify the folder path where you want keep the new .opvault format file
    g. Dropbox should start synching right away. It took a few minutes for my synch to finish
    h. Once you have a new synch file in place, go and point the other instances of 1P to the new location (after making sure that you ran the Terminal command to update the defaults to use the new .opvault synch file format)

Of course, your mileage may vary, and maybe 1P support will eventually post an article with clear steps on how to make this switch.

Good luck!

• Malbec
    Malbec
    Community Member
    Options

Glad you sorted this out. Can you confirm that you have exactly the same amount of items on your 1Password OS X app as well as on iOS after switching to OPVault?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sfo2nrt, @djc, and @Malbec,

I'm sorry we weren't able to reply here sooner! It sounds like you found the steps to switch your sync data to OPVault for Dropbox and Folder Sync, but in case it helps (and for anyone else reading this), you can find those steps and additional information in this knowledgebase article: Can I switch to OPVault from Agile Keychain?

If you need any help with those steps, please let us know!

To address some other questions/comments here:

All I could find on this site is this VERY poorly written and out-of-date explanation:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/39875/getting-your-data-into-the-opvault-format

That forum post was written for our 1Password for Windows Modern Alpha forum, although the steps for Mac & Windows there should still be correct. That post was just updated earlier today, and although I don't know exactly what was changed or how it looked before, hopefully the steps there are clearer for you now. But assuming you're using 1Password 5 for Mac, you don't need to refer to that post (just use my link above for our knowledgebase article).

HOW DO I DISABLE SYNCH? WHAT DOES THE "DELETE DATA OPTION" DO?

To disable sync in the main 1Password app on your Mac, go to the 1Password menu and choose Preferences, then click on the Sync tab. Choose a vault on the left and change its sync setting to None. The "Delete data from..." option can be used to delete the sync data from Dropbox (or a folder, if you're using Folder sync), which would previously have been a .agilekeychain file. Deleting that won't affect the 1Password data saved on your Mac, it only deletes the sync data, which will be re-created when you re-enable sync for that vault.

THIS MENU ITEM DOES NOT EXIST ON 1P V.5.4

As the steps in that forum post mention, that menu option can be found in the beta version of 1Password for Mac. It should eventually be an option in the stable release, but for now you can use the Terminal command to do the same thing. You should only need to do that one time, so it's not an option you'll normally need to access again.

HOW DO I RE-ENABLE SYNCH?

You can find steps to enable Dropbox or Folder sync at these links:

WHY WOULD I NOT WANT TO CHOOSE .OPVAULT? THAT'S THE FORMAT I WANT TO USE!!

OPVault will become the default at some point, but it's not yet fully supported in all current 1Password versions (the current version of 1Password for Android uses OPVault for Wi-Fi sync, but still uses the Agile Keychain format for Dropbox sync). Most older versions do not support OPVault for Dropbox/Folder sync, so you would need to use the Agile Keychain format if you still sync with 1Password 3 for Mac, 1Password 4 for iOS, 1Password 1 for Windows, or 1Password for Android.

Also, OPVault does not have the 1PasswordAnywhere feature. But if you're not using 1PasswordAnywhere, that's not a problem for you.

If you're only using the latest version of 1Password for Mac, iOS, and/or Windows, and you don't use 1PasswordAnywhere, you can certainly switch to OPVault for Dropbox or Folder sync.

https://support.1password.com/switch-to-opvault/

Is this information valid for 1P Mac v.5.x?

It sure is! :)

Can you confirm that you have exactly the same amount of items on your 1Password OS X app as well as on iOS after switching to OPVault?

I know this question was meant for someone else, but I wanted to mention that when I enabled OPVault for Dropbox sync, I had no trouble with the item count on Mac and iOS. Just remember that you'll need to re-enable sync on your Mac(s) and iOS device(s) after making the change via the Terminal command.

Sorry for any confusion about all that, but hopefully this helps to clear things up! If you have more questions about that, just let us know - we're always glad to help! :)

• sfo2nrt
    sfo2nrt
    Community Member
    Options

Reply to Malbec's question on 10/19 -- yes, all items synched back to the shared folder on iCloud Drive and everything appears to be working normally now.

Note on Drew_AG's post on 10/20 -- I have been running 1P 5.x betas for over a year now. It appears that the "use OPVault" menu item only appears in the Help > Tools > menu on the Mac AFTER you run the terminal command to update the defaults file for the app. Otherwise, that menu option is not available. It wasn't there before I ran the defaults update command, it does appear now.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sfo2nrt,

I'm glad to see that you were able to get that command working. I'll let our team know that we could clarify the docs in that regard.

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any other questions or concerns, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.