Please allow WiFi Sync between OSX devices (and not only iOS) and/or Folder Sync (in offline mode)

Options
Kraal
Kraal
Community Member

I have 1 iMac, 2 MacBooks (1 Pro, 1 Air) they are never used simultaneously and need to sync 1Password 5 vault among all these devices.
I have my vault file shared on a NAS.

• Folder sync works fine for the iMac
  • Folder sync does not work at all for the MacBooks as when I am on the move, the folder is not reachable anymore -> this causes multiple messages and 1Password is just unusable (cannot unlock it, multiple popups)
  • When activating the wifi Server on the iMac, I cannot reach this server from the MacBooks...
  • DropBox is not a solution (do you really think that users having sensitive data, banking information, credentials will put them in dropbox ?)
  • iCloud is not a solution either (btw I dont have access to iCloud as I bought the non-AppStore version)

So what's the solution in such a situation ?

• Please at lease allow non iOs devices to access a Wifi server
  • As an alternative allow manual folder sync (i.e. sync manually, use synced data on the move, then sync back manually when the folder is available again

Thanks in advance

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11
Sync Type: Folder, Wifi
Referrer: forum-search:Please allow WiFi Sync between OSX devices (and not only iOS) and/or Folder Sync (in offline mode)

Comments

• Hey @Kraal! Thanks for providing such detailed feedback.

When activating the wifi Server on the iMac, I cannot reach this server from the MacBooks...

You are correct — it is currently not possible to use WiFi sync from computer to computer. WiFi sync is only supported between a Mac or Windows machine and an iOS or Android device.

Folder sync works fine for the iMac
    Folder sync does not work at all for the MacBooks as when I am on the move, the folder is not reachable anymore -> this causes multiple messages and 1Password is just unusable (cannot unlock it, multiple popups)

Could you describe how you're using Folder Sync in a bit more detail? I would be happy to help you out with this issue.

As an alternative allow manual folder sync (i.e. sync manually, use synced data on the move, then sync back manually when the folder is available again

This is an interesting concept. The fact that it's completely manual, though, is difficult to justify building as a feature because it could confuse some people. Could you describe the ideal implementation of this feature? I would love to hear a different perspective and will need a bit more detail to make a note of it for our team. ;)

We really appreciate it when people talk about use cases and why features mean a lot to their workflow. The examples of why you need to use WiFi sync over Dropbox and iCloud are very useful for our developers when they read through and consider this feature.

I've passed your feedback along to our developers, but I also wanted to address your concerns with Dropbox sync.

DropBox is not a solution (do you really think that users having sensitive data, banking information, credentials will put them in dropbox ?)

While it is the cloud, and some people consider it to be a dangerous place for your data, 1Password and encrypt things so well that it's extremely difficult for anyone to access your data. I would recommend giving this article a read:

Is it safe to sync my data over the cloud?

Hope that helps answer some of your concerns, and thanks again for taking the time to give us this feedback.

ref: OPM-2091

• Kraal
    Kraal
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Could you describe how you're using Folder Sync in a bit more detail? I would be happy to help you out with this issue.

Here is how I was expecting to be able to use Folder Sync:

• iMac syncs vault with a folder on my NAS (this is my "master vault")
    • MacBook Air syncs vault with the same folder on the NAS (MBA has a copy of this master vault)
    • Whenever I (re)launch 1Password on the iMac / MacBook Air or ask manually a sync I would like 1Password to Sync local vault with the one in selected folder
    • If the NAS is not available I would like 1Password to continue working with data retrieved during last sync, without complaining
    • when folder is available again i would like to be able to sync again and resolve eventual conflicts (4 possible strategies, trust local, trust remote, keep both, always ask)

Currently however if folder is unavailable (when I'm on the move with no wifi available for instance), I cannot even log into 1password, and 1password mini keeps spamming me with popups.

Concerning iCloud / Dropbox, it's not a matter of "is it safe" but a matter of philosophy. Having worked as a researcher in the security, trust and data analysis fields I know what is doable and what kind of data I refuse to put in the cloud (credit cards, secure notes, social security numbers, passports, etc...). Moreover I also worked for the government in Switzerland on personal data privacy and no I don't trust US companies / laws / government while I trust the EU / Swiss laws. Let us select cloud providers other than US ones, i.e. companies that guaranty that data won't leave my country and even then I won't put all data in the cloud).

Meanwhile, I prefer to be able to sync over my own network my secure data.

Kind regards,

Kraal

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey Kraal,

Jacob is away today, so I thought rather than leave you hanging, I'd jump in here and see if I can help. My name's Lars.

So, regarding Dropbox (because this will be much easier, if you are willing to do it). I understand that currently, you're not comfortable with it, and that's fine. Actually, that's why we offer the combination of folder sync and wi-fi - so people who want to keep their data away from any and all cloud services can still use 1Password.

However, there are some limitations to that combo sync method, and you're starting to bump up against one of the main ones: the inability to sync via wi-fi from desktop-to-desktop. We designed the wi-fi sync as a server/client model, so one desktop could sync with any number (theoretically) of mobile devices (iOS or Android). It works pretty well, but as soon as you add another desktop Mac or PC to the mix, then you have to rely on Folder sync for your desktop-to-desktop sync capabilities, while still using wi-fi for desktop-to-mobile.

When it comes to Dropbox, we feel comfortable as a security-focused company offering it as a recommended sync solution because even if you as a customer don't trust Dropbox with your sensitive data, you can feel comfortable leaving your 1Password data there because it's encrypted at all times with our AES-256 and protected by your Master Password. In other words, if someone were to be able to breach your Dropbox account, all they would get - in terms of your 1Password data - is the same encrypted data they'd get if they hacked into your computer directly. It's a debatable point whether it's easier for someone to hack into your Dropbox account than it would be to hack into your Mac or PC...but the resulting "score" would be the same: an unreadable mass of cipher text. To sum up: in order to compromise your data if you sync with Dropbox, an adversary would have to first crack your Dropbox account and then also break into your 1Password vault.

I can of course (and will, if you ask me to) add your vote to altering the way wi-fi sync is done, so that it allows for desktop-to-desktop wi-fi sync. But until such a thing happens - and I don't have any information for you on when or even whether you might see such a change - your life (at least as far as your password management goes) will be made much less complicated if you're willing to consider Dropbox. Your data is as secure there as it is on your local Mac -- the only real difference is how accessible it might be to an adversary, and what you consider your threat profile to be. I can't answer that for you, and if you're dead set against Dropbox or any other cloud service as a sync method, then we can continue with working to get you a workable wi-fi/folder sync solution. But I'll close for now with this: both Dave Teare and myself (as well as many of the rest of us here at AgileBits) use Dropbox as our own primary sync method. Not only would we not recommend you do that if we thought it was inherently insecure or even substantially risky, but we wouldn't trust our own data to that sync method. Let me know what you think.

This discussion has been closed.