Saving old usernames and passwords

Options
markwildmanread
markwildmanread
Community Member

The reason I signed up for this service and paid $30 for it is so that I could get rid of the piece of paper and sticky notes on my wall with about 60 or so logins written on them. As far as I can tell after spending quite a lot of time trying to suss it out, the only way for me to save old login info from that sheet into 1password is to go to each website and login, whereupon I am prompted to save the login. All well and good but not what I thought I was getting. I want to manually save logins, as in, enter the name of the site, and enter my login info, without needing to surf to each URL and get to each login page to make each of these entries. If that's not what I purchased, then I want my money returned. I hope that this is clear.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/saving-a-login, kb:save-login-manually

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hi @markwildmanread,

The most robust way to ensure your username, password and URL information work each time is to do as you've described - go to the site, and allow 1Password to create the entry for you based on the current login page. The reasons for this are a little complex, but 1Password stores information about that page to ensure, for security, that your credentials aren't leaked inadvertently.

That said, it is perfectly fine for you to create your own entries manually, or even via a spreadsheet and import the whole lot of them. You may find that you'll have to tweak some entries whose login page is not at the URL you happen to use and store in the entry, buy most should just work.

Ask if you have any questions about how to most expeditiously get your data into 1Password.

• Hey @markwildmanread,

1Password is a password manager, which can be used to keep all the random characters in your digital life organized. It sounds like you're trying to get started with things by switching over from the sheet of paper that you keep on your desk. Don't worry — it's not as difficult as it seems. The method you're going about it is actually quite effective. If you only have around 60 logins, each time you need one you can type it in manually and use 1Password's automatic prompt to save it in your vault for the future. Once it's there, you don't need to save it again, so you can move on.

There are several ways people choose to get started with 1Password. I've seen some people manually input all the passwords in the app by clicking the + button and selecting Login each time. Some people import an old password spreadsheet they previously used. And still others choose to save the passwords as they go — this can be the least daunting of tasks. It sounds like the best method for you might be just that, unless you have a few moments to sit down and input each username and password into 1Password. It shouldn't take too long if you only have around 60.

Once you have everything in 1Password, the easiest way to use it is with browser extensions, which can fill username and password fields in your browser to make things much more seamless. The shortcut for filling when you're on a site (and your vault is unlocked) is \ Try it out some time and let us know how it goes!

Hopefully that helps you get started with things. I'd be happy to guide you through adding items manually in the 1Password main app as well. Let us know what we can do to help you get things going. :)

This discussion has been closed.