We want all our 1Password 3 because it is better than v4, here's why

Options

I've been using 1Password 3 for a while now and I recently upgraded to 4 1Password installed and the new extension. Unfortunately it's a big step backwards Compared to the 1Password 3 extension. Right now, my 4 main issues are as follows.

Use Chrome on Windows 7 (From Italy)

1) You can not edit your logins directly in the extension. It was so convenient with 1P3, if I needed to make a change I just pressed edit. Now I need to open the app and re-log in cui is slow and annoying. and very frustrating, I had to put a master password only 2 letters! This is paradoxical for a password protection program!

2) Can not create new logins directly in the extension. Again, it was super convenient with 1P3, but once again I need to switch over to the app and re-log in to make a new account

3) Clicking to login does not open a new tab / window. It does nothing with the new extension Unless you're on the page you want to log into. However it does work from the search popup but That is still so much slower than just pressing the login That the extension has Already displayed.

4) Can not login to mouse over to display its contents. Every time I need to change or update something I have to switch over to the app, Which is so much slower. To display logins content in the extension you have to right click on it before it pops up Which is super annoying and slow.

5) When the time to one minute for the automatic lock, it blocks even When using the app after 1 minute

6) How can I see the password directly from the extension

7) The graphics are more dispersed and not intuitive as the old 1password 3

8) Waste of money to upgrade, I paid for downgrade

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of rollbacks 1Password 3 and ask for the money back because this new extension is so uncomfortable and frustrating.

1Password Version: 4.6.0 beta 590
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: windows 7 64
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Hi @Crimccallan,

I’m sorry to hear you’re having so much issues, it sounds like the upgrade didn’t carry over many of the configurations properly and you’re seeing issues that should not be happening.

1) You can not edit your logins directly in the extension. It was so convenient with 1P3, if I needed to make a change I just pressed edit.

If you right-click on the Login in the extension and select Open in 1Password, the main program will open this item for you and you can then edit it.

This is due to the major change we did with 1Password extensions for both platforms. Instead of previous extension where the HTML/JS interface and the database are included in the browser extensions itself, we had to make the difficult decision to remove the UI and database from the extensions and instead build our own native UI that runs from the main 1Password program’s companion such as 1Password Helper on Windows and 1Password mini on OS X.

Right now, 1Password Helper’s UI is a bit limited but we do plan to update it in the future to make it more flexible with inline searching, inline editing and so much more. 1Password mini went through the same process but it was updated much quicker to support these features than the Windows version.

Just to be clear, the previous extensions will be phased out in the near future due to changes being made in the browsers, which means that even if you decide to downgrade to 1Password 1.x for Windows, you won’t be able to use these older extensions either. Firefox 40 no longer supports the previous extension after removing the outdated widgets framework that we were using.

Now I need to open the app and re-log in cui is slow and annoying. and very frustrating, I had to put a master password only 2 letters! This is paradoxical for a password protection program!

1Password should be syncing the lock/unlock status between the program and the extension, just like the previous versions, we did not make any changes here.

Please open the main 1Password program, unlock, and go to the File Menu > Preferences > Browsers. Make sure this checkbox is checked: When unlocking the application, also unlock 1Password in the browser.

Now, try to unlock the extension, does it also unlock the main 1Password program and vis versa?

In addition, please do not weaken your master password to make it easy on yourself. If you did in fact change it to 2 characters, everyone with access to your hard drive or to your sync account will be able to figure out your master password in a second. Please change it back immedaitely to a strong password or your data would remain at very high risk.

2) Can not create new logins directly in the extension. Again, it was super convenient with 1P3, but once again I need to switch over to the app and re-log in to make a new account

The 1Password 4 extensions does save data just like the previous version and in fact, it is actually more accurate with more powerful and smarter algorithms than the ones we had in previous version.

If you mean creating Logins manually instead of letting 1Password save the data, click on the 1Password icon and go to the Settings > Save New Login menu to save your data directly.

Make sure your auto-save setting is turned on to let 1Password auto-save your data. It is in the Settings > Auto-Save Logins of the extension.

If you’re still having issues, please let us know, so we can help you fix this.

3) Clicking to login does not open a new tab / window. It does nothing with the new extension Unless you're on the page you want to log into. However it does work from the search popup but That is still so much slower than just pressing the login That the extension has Already displayed.

Can you tell me which browser you’re using? I am not able to reproduce this issue. Clicking on a Login item does open a new tab for me or if you’re already on the page, it does fill it in as expected after clicking on it.

Does it work if you press Control + \ to fill?

4) Can not login to mouse over to display its contents. Every time I need to change or update something I have to switch over to the app, Which is so much slower. To display logins content in the extension you have to right click on it before it pops up Which is super annoying and slow.

This is a known limitation in 1Password Helper’s UI, there is no hover support on a menu item. You must right-click on the item to show its details, it is slow because we have to build a new menu on top of the menu you’re seeing, then decrypt your item and show it to you.

5) When the time to one minute for the automatic lock, it blocks even When using the app after 1 minute

I haven’t seen this issue, is it locking automatically while you’re doing something in the program or if you’re leaving the 1Password alone for a minute? Auto-lock timer starts as soon as you’re not using your mouse and/or keyboard, not when you stop using the program. This is the same behavior in the previous version, we have not changed this behavior.

6) How can I see the password directly from the extension

Right-click on the Login item to show its details, which includes the password. You can also click on the password field to copy it to your clipboard, so you can fill it in.

7) The graphics are more dispersed and not intuitive as the old 1password 3

A redesign is something we want to do in the future but again, this is due to using native Windows components now instead of the modern HTML/CS interfaces that we can’t use anymore in our extensions.

8) Waste of money to upgrade, I paid for downgrade

I’m sorry you’re not happy with this, we do have a 30-day money back promise, you can email us at support+licenses@agilebits.com to get a refund.

Please note that eventually, the older extensions will not work and you will need the upgrade to maintain support with future browser versions. Hopefully by then, we should have a better experience for you.

This discussion has been closed.