Forgot Master Password (iPad)

lizabright
lizabright
Community Member
Can't unlock 1Password on iPad
Hi there,

Two questions

a) this could be total user error but I thought that my ipad master password and password on laptop were the same but when I enter the password I use everyday on my laptop, desktop, it won't let me sign in.

B) if the issue is that I am an idiot and somehow gave myself a different password on my ipad and now can't remember it -- how can I get access to either my existing password or change the old one or will I be permanently locked out? My laptop just went kaput so I can't reinstall right away so I am hoping that is not the answer. (the laptop freeze-up called question on ipad lock-out)

thanks!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, lizabright. I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

For access within the app, the Master Password does not have to be the same between 1Password for Mac/Windows and your 1Password iOS app(s). Many users like to have a less-complicated one for 1Password iOS apps because of the interaction using the much smaller virtual keyboard. Because they do not have to be the same, they are never synced from one device/platform to another.

Your master password is used to encrypt all your confidential information stored within 1Password; without this password your data cannot be recovered. Your 1Password master password is known only by you, and we cannot reset it for you; if we could, that would be a security hole that criminals could use to steal your data.

If you cannot remember the master password, you will need to delete the 1Password app from your iPad and start over. This will also delete all of your your 1Password data from your iPad, but there are several ways you might be able to recover that data, after you reinstall the 1Password app:

* If you've been using Dropbox to sync your data with 1Password for Mac or Windows, just set up Dropbox syncing again in the reinstalled app, and your data will start syncing to your iPad automatically. Please see this guide for instructions:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/cloud_syncing_with_dropbox.html

* If you've previously sync'ed your 1Password data with 1Password for Mac using Wi-Fi syncing, you can easily restore your data during the next Wi-Fi sync:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/sync_to_ipad.html (iPad)

* If you've used the built-in "backup and restore" feature to save a backup copy of your 1Password data, you can use it again to restore that saved backup file. You can read more about our backup and restore option here:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password_iPad/backup.html

Please note that you don't have to repurchase 1Password in order to reinstall the app, providing you're still using the same iTunes account that you used to purchase the app originally, then you will be able to download the current version for free. Unfortunately, it won't look like it's free until you choose to "buy" it and enter your password. You don't have to take our word for it, though. Here is Apple's official support document:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2519

Please let me know how it turns out.
  • I've forgotten my Master Password for my iPad. I don't remember changing it. The application on my MacBook Pro works fine. I've just received my iPad replacement from Apple and downloaded and sync my files without problems. When trying to login to my 1Password on my iPad it doesn't accept the Master password. Thank you for your assistance.
  • I just got my new iPad 2 today and restored everything from my old iPad using iTunes. When I try to login to 1Password it says my password is wrong. I know it's right because I can login to 1Password on my Mac. I had 1P set up to sync thru DropBox. What's wrong?

- Steve
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I'm sorry that you are having this trouble. I have merged your post with the appropriate thread. Please see above and let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns!
  • I forgot my password on my 1password on my iPad. Can I delete program and download it again and begin with a new password. I know I will lose current data. SLebin
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    SLebin wrote:

I forgot my password on my 1password on my iPad. Can I delete program and download it again and begin with a new password. I know I will lose current data. SLebin

Yes you can delete the app which will remove all its data.

You can either hook it back up to itunes and reinstall it or if you are using it standalone you can always go to the app store and re download it. Please note the app store will ask you if you want to purchase the app, click yes it will then tell you that you already have and allow you to proceed from there.

A good friend told me a little trick if you dont want to take our word for it attempt to add the app to a wish list if you already own it itunes will not allow you to add it to the wish list. Thanks khad. :D

ps this is an incorrect forum for this so I will be moving it to the iOS forum, no harm done just letting you know incase you go hey thats not where I put it.

This discussion has been closed.