When can 1Password for Android be updated?

BXIA
BXIA
Community Member

Hi guys!

I'm a 1Password user across Mac, iOS and Android. Compare to the Mac and iOS versions of 1Password I have, the Android version seems outdated and have not been updated for a while.

So how long should I wait for a major update? The function of 1Password for Android is limited (can't support OPVault, cannot customize recipe for new passwords, etc), so I'm looking for another update desperately.

I know you guys are focusing on Apple platforms, which works really great (maybe it's the best software I've ever bought). But considering of 1Password for non-Apple devices... uh, it's not great actually.

I know you guys can absolutely make it better, so please make it happen!

Comments

• BXIA
    BXIA
    Community Member

Or maybe it's just because of you developers are using iOS so you can't notice that?

• Thank you for your support, @BXIA! We have an active development team dedicated just for 1Password on Android. We are working on a couple of things that are really awesome! We can’t wait to share them once they become ready.

I noted down the two suggestions you brought up. If you have anything else you want us to look into for Android, please feel free to share them here.

Also, if you would like to get into a faster release cycle and want to help us beta test 1Password before it comes to the Play Store, please join our beta team:

https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/androidnewsletter.html

Thank you.

• BXIA
    BXIA
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

@saad Thank you for your reply! I think you guys really should make the progress faster to reach the position of 1Password for iOS.

Another question: once I changed my master password on my Mac, it automatically synced to my other devices without asking my new password, how could that happens?

• You’re very welcome. Feature parity is one of our top priorities right now and our team will review features available on the iOS version of 1Password.

When you change your master password on one device, your older master password is still active on your other devices until sync completes. After sync, if you enter the new master password, the old master password will no longer work. Is this what you see?

• BXIA
    BXIA
    Community Member

@saad Yes! That's exactly what I see. You mean the old master password is active until sync process is completed, after that it will be automatically deactivated so the data is secure even if others get my old master password?
    Thank you!

• That's right! Great to hear you are seeing the same on your devices. :)

• dnm
    dnm
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

I am also one of those user that have multiple operating systems, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux (wine, wish there was a native app but that is another topic).
    So an updated android version would be nice. Specifically one that does not
    expose the metadata (notably URLs) in contents.js. Some of these URLs from what I can see sometimes contains a session cookie otherwise hidden by https.

• Thanks for your feedback, @dnm. :) We're working on some changes to 1Password on Android, and we're hoping to get the app updated soon on this platform.

Only our Agile Keychain format has metadata in plaintext, so you could switch to OPVault on your Windows and Mac devices if you like. OPVault isn't yet supported on Android, but we recently introduced Wi-Fi sync on Android which uses an internal version of the OPVault format. You could certainly switch to OPVault format on your other devices, and then sync your vault to Android using Wi-Fi sync, if you like.

Let us know if you have any other feedback! Thanks!

• SteBae
    SteBae
    Community Member

I switched to 1Password last week and started to set everything up on various PCs using OPVault. I now learned that all the Android devices I'm using don't support this format with cloud sync. That's really disappointing. And Wi-Fi sync is honestly not a great alternative in my mind. It requires a manual start and I apparently have to install a Bonjour printer driver from Apple on all my PCs (really?).

I really hope this will be added soon.

• Thanks for the feedback! I'll pass this along to our team. OPVault is something we'll certainly want to revisit very soon. :)

This discussion has been closed.