Westpac NZ internet banking not filling in password field

When I try and use 1P at https://bank.westpac.co.nz/one/app.html#login, it pre-fills the username but not the password.

Looking at the source, they've included the following dummy hidden input fields that I wonder if 1P is getting confused.

<input type="password" disabled="" class="disable-save-password-safari" id="fake-login-password">
<span style="display:none">
        <input type="input" disabled="">
        <input type="password" disabled="">
</span>

The actual login input fields don't have a name attribute but they do have a id attribute.

<input type="text" value="" spellcheck="false" autocapitalize="off" autocorrect="off" autocomplete="off" tabindex="1" placeholder="Customer ID" class="username" id="login-username">
<input type="password" value="" maxlength="200" autocomplete="off" tabindex="2" placeholder="Password" class="password" id="login-password">

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gdhnz,

I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your message to our Saving and Filling in Browsers forum in case you need additional help with this.

I tried saving a test Login item for that site, and it seems to be able to fill both fields properly. Please try manually saving a new Login for that site. Does the new Login item work correctly?

Let us know how it goes, thanks!

• gdhnz
    gdhnz
    Community Member

Manually saving a new login seems to resolve the issue. Should've tried that first.

Interestingly, the ⌘N shortcut to save a new login via 1Password Mini should probably be changed to something that isn't already used by most applications. It'd be nice to hit a global shortcut to save a login without having to open 1Password Mini.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gdhnz ,

I'm glad to hear that manually saving a Login got things working for you! Those steps are handy to keep in your back pocket any time a Login acts up - it's the quickest way to teach 1Password what it should be filling, and where.

With respect to your suggestion about the shortcut, you're right, it did take me a while to get used to it. Turns out, determining keyboard shortcuts is not a simple matter - there are so many other apps and standards to consider ... but, we can make this happen without using the mouse. It requires a few shortcuts (instead of one, which would be awesome), but it works:

• Fill your Login details
    • Use ⌘⌥\ ( Command-Option- \ ) to open Mini
    • Use ⌘, ( Command-comma ) to open the menu
    • Use ⌘N ( Command- N ) for the 'Save new Login' menu item

When the 'Save new Login' pop-up is visible, you can even use ⌘# ( Command-'vault number' ) to change the vault that you are saving the item into.

I'll let our developers know that you're keen for a simpler shortcut here, but I do hope this helps!

• gdhnz
    gdhnz
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

It'd be nice if the ⌘N shortcut (and other shortcuts) was available as soon as the 1P Mini was open without having to then open the menu.

Fill your Login details

• Use ⌘⌥\ ( Command-Option- \ ) to open Mini
    • Use ⌘N ( Command- N ) for the 'Save new Login' menu item
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gdhnz,

Just thinking out loud, I guess the actual option is in the submenu as we assumed people would be accessing the menu for filling far more than creating new Logins i.e. create once, use many times.

Saying that, why is it the only keyboard shortcut that doesn't work from the main 1Password mini menu? That doesn't make sense to me. The lock vault keyboard shortcut and vault switching shortcuts all seem to work from the first menu without having to open the secondary so it's natural to expect ⌘N to do so as well. I've reported that so hopefully we can get that altered/fixed :smile:

ref: OPM-3048

• danielcompton
    danielcompton
    Community Member

Hi folks

It looks like they've changed things around now, that method doesn't seem to work for me when I tried it today. Is there something else I can do?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @danielcompton,

It's hard to say without knowing a bit more about your situation, could you tell us a bit more please. Ideally the following:

1. Which version of 1Password you are running.
    2. Your preferred browser and the version of this browser.
    3. Which version of the 1Password extension is installed.
    4. What you mean by not working. I tried visiting the URL in the first post and I was able to create a new test Login item by following our How to manually save a Login guide. It correctly recorded the test username and password and based on the limited testing I can do as a non-customer the page seems to fill correctly. I do see a fake field intentionally placed to try and confuse Safari but we don't interact with it.

Hopefully with a bit more information we'll understand why it isn't working for you and find a solution :smile:

• danielcompton
    danielcompton
    Community Member

Thanks for the followup. I tried retracing my steps and was able to save and fill a password to login. There must have been some user error in there, or possibly they changed the login screen after I emailed them? Sorry for the hassle.

• danielcompton
    danielcompton
    Community Member

After discussion with another Westpac user with the same issue, it now works for both of us, suggesting they've changed something. Thanks for your help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

After discussion with another Westpac user with the same issue, it now works for both of us, suggesting they've changed something. Thanks for your help!

@danielcompton: Well that's sneaky...but in the best possible way! Thanks for the update. You're very welcome! I'm glad to hear it's working for you now, but be sure to reach out if we can be of any assistance in the future. We're always here to help! :)

• spronkey
    spronkey
    Community Member

Looks like they've changed it again recently. I tried the method above (manually entering details and adding a new login), but whenever I try to autofill, the username fills but the password doesn't.

Their twitter response would tell me they're actively trying to stop autofilling (uugh!). What can I do to defeat this idiocy?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @spronkey,

What I've done today is I visited https://bank.westpac.co.nz/one/app.html#login and I create a new Login item following the standard steps as detailed in How to manually save a Login. I then reloaded the page and tested with the item it seems I created in August as well as testing with the item I created just now.

Now I can't test what happens when the form is submitted but everything seems to be filling okay for me. I tried open and fill and the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ after the page was manually loaded. So from an initial inspection I believe it should work.

I think the best thing to do is learn a little more about your setup as maybe what I've been using to test isn't where you use 1Password or maybe we're not using the same versions. These questions should help answer that.

1. What version of 1Password are you running?
    2. If you are not on a mobile device (iOS or Android), what is your preferred browser and the version of that browser?
    3. As above, If you are not on a mobile device (iOS or Android), what version of the 1Password extension is installed?
  • spronkey
    spronkey
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables thanks for having a look.

I was about to go through and answer your questions after trying it again and it not working - but I was pasting the password into the password field each time I had saved a new login manually, so thought I might try just manually typing it in. Seemed to do the trick!

I guess they're doing something weird on keypresses!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spronkey: Aha! That makes sense, oddly enough. Some websites use scripting to modify input, either to intentionally prevent copy/paste/fill, or it simply interacts in an unexpected way with that since they're expecting you to type each character one by one.

I'm glad to hear that it's working for you now, but we're here for you if you run into any further issues. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.