Custom Toolbar Buttons

2»

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    bpwhistler, please see post #2 in this thread for instructions and a link to the file you need to download.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2010
    bpwhistler, I'm not sure what you mean by "the standard toolbar buttons"; this thread is about changing the default "1P" label on the 1Password button (in the browser toolbar) to a key or a keyhole or one of the other choices.

If you're asking about changing the Mac OS X menu bar, I'm not aware of a way to add a button to that menu bar.

Perhaps someone else can jump in and help...
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2010
    (doh) D'oh!

You're right, of course. I'd completely forgotten about that option.

That's mostly because I disabled the option as soon as I noticed that it's less useful than the button in the browser toolbar, which can be modified by the Option or Shift key to allow different behaviors. As far as I can tell, those keys don't affect the optional 1P menu you're talking about.

I was also thrown by the references to it as an icon, but I should've made the connection anyway--sorry about that!
  • sonicdeviant
    sonicdeviant
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    bpwhistler wrote:
    Not a problem. I get the impression that it is not nearly as common in usage as the browser toolbar button. I just prefer it's location. I'd probably use the toolbar buttons and their associated more "useful" actions if I was more of a power user with 1Password. I've been using this program since its inception, and yet still typically only take advantage of its most basic features.

Oh well.

I also prefer the key menu bar item instead of "1P." Weird thing for me is that the key is still there on my MacBook's menu bar in Safari (same version of 1Password) but not on my Mac Pro.

1Password: Version 3.0.3.BETA-8 (build 30471)
    Mac OS 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard)
    Safari Version 4.0.4 (6531.21.10): 1P, Glims, Cooliris, Adblock

Model Name:	Mac Pro
      Model Identifier:	MacPro3,1
      Processor Name:	Quad-Core Intel Xeon
      Processor Speed:	2.8 GHz
      Number Of Processors:	1
      Total Number Of Cores:	4
      L2 Cache:	12 MB
      Memory:	6 GB
      Bus Speed:	1.6 GHz
      Boot ROM Version:	MP31.006C.B05
      SMC Version (system):	1.25f4

• xairbusdriver
    xairbusdriver
    Community Member
    edited February 2010
    Maybe I need to go to a FF or Safari NooB forum but...
    I get nothing but the php document when using the link in post #2. The displayed name is BrowserButtons.zip[/b] and the actual link is: http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=702&d=12502

I've tried FF, Safari 4.0.4 (Download Link File, Download Linked File As..., etc.). All I can get is either the php file, itself or a "attachment.php.html" file. Of course, opening that html file in a browser results in Agile not seeing me logged in and I have to start over, entering the data manually since that is a local file not on the web. After succefully "logging in' I am taken to the forum index...and the cycle starts over, again.

As I have asked so many times in my life, "What am I doing wrong?" :lol:

Obviously, I really like to get the zip file, not the php file...
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    xairbusdriver, I'm sorry you're having that problem.

When I clicked the link in your message above, just now, the BrowserButtons.zip file was downloaded to my Downloads folder almost instantaneously.

Is that where you're looking for it?
  • xairbusdriver
    xairbusdriver
    Community Member
    edited February 2010
    DBrown wrote:
    I'm sorry you're having that problem.

When I clicked the link in your message above, just now, the BrowserButtons.zip file was downloaded to my Downloads folder almost instantaneously.

Is that where you're looking for it?
    Well that's great, the forum software makes a url into a link, automagically. No, Jim, you made it a url with the forum software... :rolleyes: However, to answer your question, I was using the link back in post #2. I even tried the one in my last post and I still get nothing but the php file.

I thought I might have set that type to open in BBEdit, since that's what happens when I double-click them. A get info still says it's a 'php' file. DOH!

I also have Default Apps and checked it to be sure I hadn't set BBEdit to open those type files. It says the System should use Safari. Well, of course, Safari opens the file, but it is presented only as raw source, html created by the php engine. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it's something on my system and I can always use my wife's "less modified" computer! :LOL: I was just hoping that it wasn't ME this time! I know I visited sites that generate pages via php and I've viewed them with no problem...Heck, even this thread is built that way...
    I'll try a few things, starting with clearing Safari cache...holding my tongue differently...etc. Thanks for verifying that the file is still available! :)

I also have installed/use the php/mySQL tools on my Mac, when I thought I might actually learn how to use them! But I don't think that's a problem, since even the forum pages here open correctly...
  • xairbusdriver
    xairbusdriver
    Community Member
    edited February 2010
    OK, I got it. I downloaded Camino, Chrome, iCab, Lynx (source code only), BumperCar (also needed Terminl?) and Sunrise. :eek: Camino was the first one I tried and it worked. Anyone want some completely unused browsers?! :lol:

Now I'm too tired to install those icons!!!

Uhmn...guess what I found that had downloaded at 9:13 AM today...yep, the BrowserButton.zip file. [headbash] So, now I've got two copies plus every Mac browser in the knonw universe, well almost... I feel like a fool! I know I don't have any money anymore, that was my first clue... :P
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Glad you got things sorted out, thanks for the update!
  • supermurph
    edited December 1969
    I just did this and it worked great. I have one question though. I put in the Key icons for Safari and Firefox and they work. However, the Key folder from your BrowserButtons.zip file also included Firefox buttons called Firefox16.png and Firefox24.png that look like the dock icon. What are these for? Is it possible to make these show up on the toolbar? If so, do I just need to rename them? Thanks for your help!
  • binaryeric
    binaryeric
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Perhaps I missed something in the details of this thread but this entire thread makes me think WTF? Why did 1Password lose the ability to do this itself??? Why is everyone having to download files and place them in the application package and then count from 14, backwards, while waving some burning sage around... in order to get the icon back that they prefer?

What did I miss?
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    All I know on the subject is in co-founder Roustem's post.
  • candsrr
    edited December 1969
    "For now, you please download the attached archive..."

It took me a while to work my way to the forum and then this thread, but the change worked great.

However, I suggest putting a link or something in the regular Help faq's.
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the feedback, candsrr, and welcome to the forums. Glad to hear you got things sorted out in the end.
  • NovaScotian
    NovaScotian
    Community Member
    Some time ago (many versions ago) there was a way to choose the 1P browser icon. I'd like to change it. How do I do that in 3.5.8Beta?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2011
    While custom browser toolbar icons were a feature in 1Password 2, they have not been present in 1Password 3 since it began development over a year ago.

Check out Roustem's post at the beginning of this thread for a method to manually change the icons.

I hope that helps. Please let me know. :-)
  • Oaxaca_One
    Oaxaca_One
    Community Member
    I'm trying to get the 1P icon in Firefox v. 4.0 to change to the keyhole icon. I downloaded the files as instructed way above, and they now happily reside in Application Support/1Password/Custom/ToolbarButtons.

But... now what? Surely I have to do something else to tell Firefox to change the 1P to the keyhole.

I'm sure this is totally obvious to everyone else, but what am I missing?

Thanks in advance.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Oaxaca_One!

At this time Firefox 4 and Chrome do not support custom 1Password toolbar icons. We may consider this in the future. Thanks for letting us know you would like to see this feature added!
  • gary
    gary
    Community Member
    Hope the custom icons return in some form, even if in the one used before if something better will take more time. Miss it a lot !
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the vote, gary. As of right now custom toolbar icons in the browsers is no longer supported due to the nature of the new extension technology. I don't know the feasibility of doing this going forward, but I will pass your request along to the developers.

If we can be further assistance, please let us know.

We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.