Feature Request: Automatic Logout

I thought that i would use 1Password in non-usual way. Usually it is used as remember tool, but I do remember all my passwords. I need a login/logout tool.
Situation: I was surfing internet, but i need to leave PC for a while. I press one button "Logout" , so when I left nobody can acces my accounts. When I return - I want just simply sit, type one password in 1Password =) and continue my work.
The last step is already done. Autofill presents in some browsers, not in my favorit Google Chrome but nevertheless. But there is no Logout function, or maybe I was blind.
I think this is difficult to do because plugin must erase cookie. Is it possible, or maybe there is another solution for my issue? Are you guys going to do than in future, or not?
Excuse me for my english. Thank you!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Welcome to the forums, wkolbnik!

I thought that i would use 1Password in non-usual way.

I am always interested to learn about new ways to use familiar tools! :-)

Usually it is used as remember tool, but I do remember all my passwords.

We do hope that you are using strong enough passwords that you don't remember them. That's what 1Password is for. :-D

1Password has a great built-in Strong Password Generator which creates passwords that no one but Superman could remember. The great thing about 1Password is that you don't have to.

I need a login/logout tool.

Unfortunately, there is not a standard way of logging out of sites. Every site is different. I'm not sure that 1Password would be much use in this regard since you would need click to logout anyway. 1Password's real strength is in entering complex passwords on your behalf that you could not easily enter for yourself. Clicking a logout link on a website is about as already easier than I think we could really make it.

Situation: I was surfing internet, but i need to leave PC for a while. I press one button "Logout" , so when I left nobody can acces my accounts. When I return - I want just simply sit, type one password in 1Password =) and continue my work.

You posted this in the 1Password for Mac forum, so I will assume you are using PC in the general sense which would include Mac. The good news is that there are already a number of ways to do this. (party)

This will lock your computer and not allow anyone else to access it while you are away. Some other options:

1. Set an Active Screen Corner for you screen saver and activate the screen saver when stepping away from your Mac (System Preferences > Exposé and Spaces > Exposé > Active Screen Corners).

2. Close the lid of your Mac laptop to put your Mac to sleep.

3. Activate the login window when stepping away from your Mac (System Preferences > Accounts > Login Options > "Show fast user switching menu as…")

The above three options will also secure your entire OS X login if you have enabled "Require password … after sleep or screen saver begins" (System Preferences > Security > General). You are using a good, unique password for your OS X login, aren't you? ;-)

The easiest way — the one that I prefer — is (3) to activate the OS X login window since I don't have a screen saver enabled on my Mac. This will also allow everything to keep running (unlike putting your Mac to sleep).

cCWv.Screen%20shot%202011-04-11%20at%2020%3A33%3A05.png

I think this is difficult to do because plugin must erase cookie. Is it possible, or maybe there is another solution for my issue? Are you guys going to do than in future, or not?

I hope the above solution works for you. Please let me know. :-)

Thanks!
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Or use Keychain Access. Set its preferences to show status in menu bar, and you can lock the screen from there.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Also effective.

It used to not be the case, but now 1Password will lock when the screen is locked in that manner. Old habits die hard, I suppose. I am still pulling up the login window. Somehow I feel safer with the "hefty" login window up instead of just a "thin" black screen. It's all psychological. :lol:
  • wkolbnik
    edited April 2011
    Unfortunately, there is not a standard way of logging out of sites. Every site is different.

I thought deleting cookies of every site will lead to log out, isn't it?
    I find already existing but not perfect solution - extension for Google Chrome Swap My Cookies. It has cookie profiles, and if you change one you'll log out from all your sites.
    BUT in that extension it is imposible to put password on changing profiles, so every smart and curious person can change it back and use your accounts.
    However it tells us one thing - it is posible to make universal log out tool.
    If you add an option for store cookies in 1password and delete from browser and return them back after typing password -it would be perfect.

3. Activate the login window when stepping away from your Mac (System Preferences > Accounts > Login Options > "Show fast user switching menu as…")

Thanks! I'll use that. But I want that everything look like I don't hide anything, without lock screen.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    All major browsers already include a feature to clear all cookies:

• Safari: Preferences > Security > Show Cookies > Remove All
    • Firefox: Tools > Clear Recent History > Cookies
    • Chrome: Preferences > Under the Hood > Clear Browsing Data > Delete cookies and other site data

Also, as you mention, there are browser extensions which will do this with a single click. Have you considered simply using "Private Browsing" or "Incognito" mode?

• Safari: Safari > Private Browsing
    • Firefox: Tools > Start Private Browsing
    • Chrome: File > New Incognito Window

None of your cookies will be remembered outside of the "Private Browsing" or "Incognito" session and will thus result in your logout when you terminate the Private/Incognito session.

The problem with doing this is that there is no simple way to selectively delete "login" cookies. Many sites use cookies for a wide variety of reasons unrelated to the status of your login. (Shopping carts are the first thing that come to my mind.) Clearing all cookies to log out of a few sites will likely result in some "casualties." :-)

At this time 1Password does not mess with your browsers cookies, but anything is possible in the future.

Thanks for the feedback!
This discussion has been closed.