Help cannot sync my mac to my iPhone

iPassword on my iPhone was constantly crashing so I deleted it, reinstalled and now cannot sync to Mac. When I go to Sync iPhone it says wifi status is offline but no way to turn it on. It says to please start and unlock 1Password touch on your iPhone to perform WiFi. Did that but still sync now grayed out and unable to sync.

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: wifi
Referrer: forum-search:wifi on mac is offline can't sync to iphone

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
  • Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Cathryn,

It looks like you're using 1Password 3 on your Mac, so I've moved your message to our "1Password 3 for Mac" forum. I hope you don't mind!

The Wi-Fi sync option in 1Password 3 for Mac only works with 1Password 3 for iOS. So if you're using 1Password 4, 5, or 6 on your iPhone, you won't be able to use Wi-Fi sync with 1Password 3 for Mac. As Stephen said, we'll need to know for sure which version of 1Password you're using on your iPhone. If you're using 1Password 3 for iOS, the version number should be shown in Settings > About.

Also, which version of iOS are you running on your iPhone? If it's iOS 9, 1Password 3 for iOS may not work very well on it, as that's an older version of 1Password that hasn't been updated since 2012.

Once we know the version of 1Password and iOS on your iPhone, we'll have a better idea of your options for syncing. Thanks! :)

• Cathryn
    Cathryn
    Community Member

My iPad 1 Password is version 3.7.2
    My Mac version is 3.8.22
    My previous version on the phone was 3.8.22. I deleted it cause it kept crashing, as does my iPad 1 Password app.
    I can't look up the version on the phone cause I downloaded it today and won't let me look at settings.

When I go to my Mac 1Password and click on sync to iPhone it says Wifi is offline. How do I get it online?

• Cathryn
    Cathryn
    Community Member

IOS version 9.1 on iPhone

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Cathryn,

With the release of iOS 9 and El Capitan we've seen an escalation in reports about incompatibilities between the older 1Password 3 in it's various forms and the latest versions of iOS and OS X. I've heard and seen that 1Password for iPhone/iPad/Pro (the various versions of 1Password 3 for iOS) crashes a lot - iOS has changed sufficiently since we last worked on 1Password 3 for iOS that it has become quite unstable in its old age. It's a similar issue with 1Password 3 for Mac on El Capitan. Enough has changed under the hood of OS X that 1Password 3 for Mac has become that belligerent old family member that refuses to cooperate.

I'm guessing your iPad and iPhone are both running iOS 9.

While I don't like recommending somebody upgrades, I would much prefer the upgraded because they wanted to, I do feel the best way forward would be to consider upgrading at the very least 1Password for iOS (we're current at version 6) and if you're considering El Capitan at all I would strongly recommend upgrading to 1Password 5 for Mac now rather than later.

1Password for iOS currently uses the freemium model. So you can download 1Password 6 for iOS at no cost. If you like it and want the additional features we've hidden behind the Pro in-app purchase it's a single, one-off purchase per Apple ID. In other words as long as you use a single Apple ID on both iOS devices you only purchase once.

1Password 5 for Mac is a paid upgrade over 1Password 3 and there are a couple of routes. Currently the only way to access iCloud Sync is if you purchase 1Password for Mac from Apple's Mac App Store. Only Mac App Store apps and applications are allowed to use the iCloud frameworks of which CloudKit is one of them (CloudKit is what allows iCloud Sync). The downside is we can't offer any form of discount at the Mac App Store for existing customers - the functionality simply doesn't exist in Apple's stores to do so. If iCloud Sync isn't important though you can use your existing 1Password 3 licence key at Upgrades for Existing Licence Owners and get a decent discount on an up to date licence. It pretty much comes down to discount or iCloud Sync. We wish existing customers didn't have to make a choice but that's the state of play at the moment.

I believe we've reached a point where the venerable 1Password 3 for iOS & Mac has had its day. All software reaches a point where it is no longer compatible with the newer versions of whatever it relies on, be it an operating system, key library or even a browser. Now 1Password 3 for Mac can still use Dropbox to sync with the newer 1Password 6 for iOS but if you are considering upgrading to El Capitan it would be a smoother transition to move to 1Password 5 for Mac on Yosemite.

You may have a number of questions so please do ask.

• Cathryn
    Cathryn
    Community Member

I upgraded all with terrific support from 1Password. Am back in business and very happy. Thanks for your help. I recommend upgrading. Solved all the glitchy problems.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Cathryn,

Obviously I wish it was under better circumstances but I'm glad to hear everything is working smoothly again after the upgrades :smile:

You'll find a number of changes so if you have any questions at all about the newer versions of 1Password for Mac and iOS please do ask!

This discussion has been closed.