3.5GB 1Password Folder in Application Support folder in User Library. Safe to Delete?

napes
napes
Community Member

Hi I have an iMac running 1Password 5 Version 5.4.1 (541003) Agile Web Store, and have been for years. Using CleanMyMac 2 I ran the Uninstaller and there is a sub heading "Leftovers" which shows a 3.5gb folder in the Library under "Application Support". The folder contains headings, Diagnostics, Fill, Backups, Agent, Extensions. I am trying to regain space on my drive and wonder if it is safe to delete this entry. 3.5gb seems awfully large. Thanks.

1Password Version: 1Password 5 Version 5.4.1 (541003) Agile Web Store
Extension Version: 1Password 5 Version 5.4.1 (541003) Agile Web Store
OS Version: OSX 10.10.5
Sync Type: DROPBOX
Referrer: forum-search:Hi I have an iMac running 1Password 5 Version 5.4.1 (541003) Agile Web Store, and have been for years. Using CleanMyMac 2 I ran the Uninstaller and there is a sub heading "Leftovers" which shows a 3.5gb folder in the Library under "Application Support". The folder contains headings, Diagnostics, Fill, Backups, Agent, Extensions. I am trying to regain space on my drive and wonder if it is safe to delete this entry. 3.5gb seems awfully large. Thanks.

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @napes,

I wouldn't suggest deleting that folder unless you want to lose all your 1Password data. We do not recommend using cleanup utilities with 1Password because of the risk of accidentally deleting your entire 1Password vault.

That said, I agree that 3.5 GB is awfully large. Do you have a lot of large attachments saved in your vault? We can help you look into this with a Diagnostics Report from your Mac if you'd like to send us one. That would be an easier way for us to identify any duplicate or extraneous files that may be there (without revealing any of your sensitive data).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015

I've replied via email, but I wanted to follow up here in case it helps anyone else in the future.

Vee made the right call, because, well...better safe than sorry! But in this case there's a simple answer, so long as you sweat the details:

• For a 1Password 4 or 5 user, ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/ can be safely deleted, as this is where 1Password 3 stored its support files.
    • However, ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ is used for both 1Password 4 and 5 support files, so this is something you almost certainly want to keep around.

It's a small difference, but it can be absolutely critical. As always, simply moving a folder to the Trash temporarily is a good move, just to be sure you don't need something before deleting it permanently. Cheers! :)

ref: ZSY-36598-381

This discussion has been closed.