Restore iOS vault using Windows

Options
estivi
estivi
Community Member
edited October 2015 in iOS

Because of a persistent bug on my iPhone, someone at the Apple store told me to wipe it completely without restoring from an iTunes backup. This of course also wiped my 1Password vault. Now I realize I no longer have a vault at all. I did not have 1Password for Windows because when I first bought it there was no Windows version, so I only used iTunes for the data backup. Is there any way to recover the existing vault from one of the iTunes backups on my computer? I realize it can't be easy because otherwise the vault would not be very secure, but I have a lot of passwords I hope I don't lose. Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.1
Sync Type: iTunes
Referrer: forum-search:restore vault on wiped iphone

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@estivi: Since iTunes backups are encrypted and in Apple's proprietary format, 1Password cannot read them. However, if your 1Password data is included in the iTunes backup, you should be able to restore your iPhone with it along with everything else (although iTunes backups have been known to be unreliable — sometimes requiring multiple restore attempts, or not working at all). I know you were told not to restore from the backup, but doing so could allow you to recover your 1Password data, at which point you could save a copy of it elsewhere and wipe the device completely as Apple recommended.

However, if you've previously sync'd or saved a backup of your 1Password data, that may be a better option. Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• estivi
    estivi
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that makes sense. Let me ask and be sure I have it. In essence, I would wipe my iPhone again, restore from the old backup, then back up the 1Password vault to somewhere else. Then I would wipe my iPhone again, re-add to it everything I wanted, data and apps, and then restore the 1Password vault from the location where I'd stored it. Is that correct? Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, that makes sense. Let me ask and be sure I have it. In essence, I would wipe my iPhone again, restore from the old (iTunes) backup, then back up the 1Password vault to somewhere else. Then I would wipe my iPhone again, re-add to it everything I wanted, data and apps, and then restore the 1Password vault from the location where I'd stored it. Is that correct? Thanks.

@estivi: Precisely! :chuffed: :+1:

The one caveat here that might throw a wrench into the works is that (as I mentioned above) iTunes backups inexplicably do not always contain all data, and even when they do, they don't always restore all of it properly on any given attempt. So we'll both have to cross our fingers, eyes, and hearts and hope that your 1Password data is able to be restored, and give it another try or two if it isn't at first. Be sure to let me know how it turns out! :)

• estivi
    estivi
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your help. It turned out that my reason for wiping the iPhone, to try to solve a problem with memory allocation, was not fixed by doing the wipe. So I just restored everything from an older backup and was able to get my vault back. But I'll know what to do if I need to do something similar in the future. Thanks again.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @estivi,

I'm glad to hear this had a happy ending and that you hadn't lost your vault!

This discussion has been closed.