Explanation of how inter platform Dropbox Sync works

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited June 2015 in Lounge

I hope that someone will be able to answer how Dropbox works across various devices. I have Mac, Windows and iOS versions of 1Password. A lot of times, the changes aren't immediately detected on the iPad if I had created them on other devices first. How do I keep all devices synchronised?

Thanks

1Password Version: 4.5.0.575
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to know how Dropbox syncs and what is the frequency. There are times when I change some data on my Mac or PC but it doesn't get displayed on the iOS devices or the reverse. I didn't actually time the discrepency.

1Password Version: 4.5.0.575
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Windows 7 x64
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@wkleem I've merged your two similar posts into one thread because I think it's helpful to keep the posts, and answers, together.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

Great question. Dropbox is generally an instantaneous sync. Here's how it works across each platform:

Mac

When you change an item on your Mac: 1Password for Mac will update the local database and the .agilekeychain in the Dropbox folder on your Mac. When Dropbox detects that an item in the Dropbox folder has changed, it syncs those changes up to the cloud.

When an item is changed and synced to your Mac: Dropbox syncs that changed .agilekeychain to your Mac, 1Password gets notified, and it will look inside the .agilekeychain for the change. That change is then imported into your local database.

Windows

When you change an item on your PC: 1Password for Windows will update the .agilekeychain in the Dropbox folder on your PC. Dropbox will detect this change and sync the changes to the cloud.

When an item is changed and synced to your PC: 1Password for Windows will receive an event when the .agilekeychain has been changed, and it will update the necessary items.

iOS

When you change an item on your iOS device: 1Password for iOS will update the local database and use the Dropbox API to sync the changes to the .agilekeychain file in Dropbox.

When an item is changed and synced to your iOS device there are two ways that 1Password keeps an eye out for new information:

1. Background app refresh periodically wakes 1Password for iOS to give it a chance to download new changes
    2. When the app is launched 1Password will download new changes from Dropbox. Also, while 1Password is running it will periodically (every 30 seconds or so) check for new changes.

While 1Password can download changes while it is running in the background, the app must be open in order for those changes to be applied to the database.

Android

(You didn't mention wanting to know about Android, but in the interests of full disclosure)

When you change an item on your Android device: 1Password for Android will update the local database and use the Dropbox API to sync the changes to the .agilekeychain in Dropbox

When an item is changed and synced to your Android device, how 1Password for Android responds depends on the type of sync you have selected:

1. If automatic sync is enabled, 1Password for Android will perform a sync after an item is modified or created locally (when the 'save' button has been tapped.) Sync will also be performed when the app is opened.
    2. If automatic sync is not enabled, 1Password for Android will check for changes when the 'sync' button in the action bar is tapped.

A lot of times, the changes aren't immediately detected on the iPad if I had created them on other devices first. How do I keep all devices synchronised?

As mentioned above, the iOS app must be open in order for changes to be applied. You can also initiate a sync by opening the Settings pane, selecting 'Sync' and then tapping the 'Sync now' button. This should get all your changes synced across.

I hope this answers your question, but you know where to find us if you need any further clarification!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I apologise for the double post. I thought I had deleted the saved draft of the OP instead of posting it. iOS unlike the Mac and Windows version, has a sync now feature that I don't see in Mac or Windows. How do I do an immediate sync from the desktop?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

As I understand this, with Dropbox, you do get instant sync whenever you make a change to your data. As soon as you make the change, it alters the sync file in your local Dropbox folder, and that change is detected by Dropbox on the spot and transmitted immediately to the cloud. With iCloud, however, Apple processes are in control of when syncing occurs. Developers can't control this, so there isn't a way for 1Password to do so. And there sometimes can be a delay before changes propagate.

I'm hopeful that this isn't too far off from how things really work. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: While Megan gave a good overview, AgileBits doesn't actually run Dropbox or develop their (great!) software, so it may be more appropriate to ask them for more detail. I know they have an active forum community as well (that I believe has some crossover with ours).

In my own experience, Dropbox data syncs over within about 10 seconds of a change...but a lot will depend on your own local network and your internet connection as well; so while I can give you a 'for instance', it's hard to offer specifics. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I need to learn patience, especially with everything at our fingertips...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Haha I hear you! I easily fall into the same trap: when everything works so well we learn to take them for granted. Today I downloaded an update and it took ten whole seconds -- like watching paint dry!

Of course when I check the file size the same update would have taken hours a few short years ago. :lol:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Haha I hear you! I easily fall into the same trap: when everything works so well we learn to take them for granted. Today I downloaded an update and it took ten whole seconds -- like watching paint dry!

Of course when I check the file size the same update would have taken hours a few short years ago. :lol:

LOL. So true. :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

;) :+1:

• dk0
    dk0
    Community Member
    Options

Megan's comment should be added to your documentation. I was looking for that information in the docs, before coming here and finding it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dk0: I think you may be right about that! While it is always best to to 'to the source' for detailed technical information — in this case, Dropbox — I'll see if we can incorporate some of this information into our knowledgebase (without becoming a Dropbox knowledgebase, of course). Thanks for bringing this up! :chuffed:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

There is this issue when practically everything online these days: Seeking help from an offline device is a near impossibility!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No kidding! I lost power the other day for a few hours, and it's amazing just how many things don't work without internet. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.