how do I import my vault to my wife's vault so she can share my passwords?

raroman
raroman
Community Member

My wife and I have our own accounts on our shared iMac. We would like to have my vault imported to her vault (she only has two passwords in her vault) so we can sync new/changed passwords in each vault.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: wi-fi
Referrer: forum-search:how do I import my vault to my wife's vault so she can share my passwords?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @raroman,

If I may, I'd like to ask a couple of questions and then we should be able to get this all working for you :smile:

1. Do you want to basically use your vault in replacement of hers and she just adds her passwords to your vault or do you want to add your vault as a secondary vault on her copy of 1Password for Mac?
    2. You state that you use Wi-Fi Sync at the moment. Do you prefer to avoid cloud services when it comes to syncing? We can use Folder Sync to sync between the two accounts on the Mac but there's a step or two involved in doing so. It is possible but Dropbox would also allow you to easily share a vault between the two accounts as well.

With those answers we can get you all sorted out :smile:

• raroman
    raroman
    Community Member

Sorry it took this long to respond to your prompt reply to my query. To answer your two questions:

1. I want to basically use my vault in replacement of hers and she can just add her passwords to my vault. She would have a complete duplicate of my vault.
    2. I'm trying to visualize how we would sync both of our vaults on my iMac (as well as on our iPhone). In your opinion, what would be the best and maybe easiest way to do this?

Thanks.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2015

Hey @raroman,

It sounds like you and your wife want to consolidate down to one vault that you both share across each of your devices, so that's what I'll outline here. Let me know if that's not quite what you're after and we could figure something else out.

I'm thinking Dropbox sync will be the easiest way to accomplish what you're after, considering that you have separate user accounts on one Mac.

1. Since there are only two, go ahead and manually add your wife's logins as new login items in your own vault.
    2. Sync your vault to Dropbox.
    3. Have your wife follow this guide to start over and, if you two share the same Dropbox account, she can sync to the keychain you just created in Dropbox.
    4. On your iPhone, follow these steps to sync to that same keychain in Dropbox.

Then you should be all set sharing one vault. And each time a change is made, Dropbox sync will automatically update that change across all your devices.

Let us know how that goes for you. We're here to help if you have any other questions along the way. :)

This discussion has been closed.