Overall feedback for Android app

Options
riyaz
riyaz
Community Member

1Password for mac is 1st class product, well thought and designed for ease of use, however Android app lacks many usability features which makes it less useful.

1. Why do I need to use different keyboard just for auto-fill, I myself Android developer, I know of technical limitations changing keyboard is an over-kill.
    Why not use chat head like button for auto-fill, like 1Password mini.its

2. Due to above issue, only way I can find an account is using search, not sure what you guys thought when you were designing search for Android, to search I need to follow below steps

• launch app
  • click categories
  • click all items
  • click search button
  • type account name
  • press tick

too much for a search???

• can we have a global search as soon as we launch the app in toolbar or as FAB
    • can we auto filter list when i type accounts, note suggestions popup we have now is distracting
    • why app is not searching in URL? I mean if i want to search for facebook, account should have name as facebook else its not listing
    • can we have a shortcut to copy the password instead of going inside an account to copy the password
    • even inside an account can we have one touch copy for password?
    • edit is inside a menu? why not a edit button in toolbar
  1. please integrate with Google now for search so that I can use voice search and go inside the app

2. Now and then app asks for master password even though I set PIN, typing a long, complex password in mobile is cumbersome , can we store the master password of-course after encrypting it with pin or hardware backed keys supported by Android.

Sorry for the long list, I really want to use 1password for android, but it seriously lacks lot of thinking in terms of usability.

1Password Version: 4.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• peri
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hey @riyaz. Thanks so much for providing this helpful and thoughtful feedback. :)

Why do I need to use different keyboard just for auto-fill, I myself Android developer, I know of technical limitations changing keyboard is an over-kill.
    Why not use chat head like button for auto-fill, like 1Password mini.its

We went with the custom keyboard for a number of reasons which one of our developers, Michael Verde, explains here. Essentially, the keyboard allows us to bypass the limitations of other filling implementations, without automating use of the clipboard.

We've been tracking the feedback we've received from our users, and we're hoping to improve our keyboard in the future. That said, we've also gotten requests for alternative filling solutions, as you've described, and we're tracking those requests as well. :)

Due to above issue, only way I can find an account is using search, not sure what you guys thought when you were designing search for Android, to search I need to follow below steps

Search is definitely one area that we're working on improving. This is one of the improvements most often requested by our users. Our developers are currently looking into this, and working on making searching from within 1Password easier and more painless.

In fact, we're working on a complete Material Design redesign of 1Password, which should include a number of improvements on UI and workflow. We can't promise when you'll see some improvements here, but we're hoping to release this soon.

please integrate with Google now for search so that I can use voice search and go inside the app

I'll pass this along to our developers for their consideration. This would be a neat feature to have with Android M!
    ref: OPA-656

Now and then app asks for master password even though I set PIN, typing a long, complex password in mobile is cumbersome , can we store the master password of-course after encrypting it with pin or hardware backed keys supported by Android.

If you have a PIN code enabled, 1Password 4 for Android will prompt you for that PIN code for as long as 1Password stays running in the background. However, as soon as the app gets fully exited from the background, you'll need to unlock it with your Master Password again. If device resources are low, sometimes the device will boot the app from the background running processes to conserve. This may be what's happening to you when you're expecting to login with your PIN, but being prompted for the Master Password.

However, there are certain times that you will always be prompted for the Master Password, regardless of whether the PIN is enabled or not. Any time the app is fully exited, or the device is rebooted, you'll be prompted for the Master Password the next time you launch 1Password.

If you notice that the app has been running in the background and you're still being prompted for the Master Password instead of the PIN, please let us know.

Let us know if you have any questions, or further feedback! Thanks!

• riyaz
    riyaz
    Community Member
    Options

@peri Thanks for the followup.

I understand app will prompt for password when its cleared by memory, but why can't we use key derived from hardware to store password so that it will not be compromised and also we can prevent this prompt of master password entry.

Main reason, we are suggested to create a strong password for 1password, its awesome for deskstop but in mobile devices typing these complex password is a real pain.

We need a way to avoid this reprompt of master password atleast in non-rooted devices.

More info on Android's hardware backed key - http://nelenkov.blogspot.in/2013/08/credential-storage-enhancements-android-43.html

• peri
    Options

I see, thanks for the clarification. :)

I'll pass this suggestion along to the team. However, the encryption of the vault is based on the Master Password (which is why it's called 1Password :lol:), so I'm not sure that we'll get rid of the requirement to enter it to decrypt the vault anytime soon.

At any rate, I'll go ahead and pass this along. Let us me know if you have any more questions! :)

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    Options

These are all good suggestions except for exposing the passwords to Google search (voice or not). I can see the convenience, but from a security perspective I would never be comfortable with ANY other app having access to my passwords no matter how that access is controlled.

Also, when will we get OPVault support in Android? (Or OPVault2 given how old OPVault already is now)

• saad
    edited November 2015
    Options

Agreed with that! On iOS, we allow searching an item by the title in Spotlight Search, but tapping on an item launches the 1Password app to actually reveal the content of the item. This feature is disabled by default and you need to explicitly enable it.

I commented on OPVault on a different thread. The team has plans to look into the implementation, but I don't have a timeframe of its availability. :( If you like to switch away from the Agilekeychain format, I recommend using Wi-Fi sync until OPVault is supported for Dropbox and local storage sync.

• sfotyler
    sfotyler
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to all of these comments. +100 to easier search. Really surprised you guys haven't improved this yet! You need more Android users in the agile bits office to feel the struggle with the rest of us! :)

• Thanks for the vote, @sfotyler. We're certainly hoping to get search improved no Android soon. :)

This discussion has been closed.