I can't get 1Password to give me a copy of the password it just generated.

Options
Denise1985
Denise1985
Community Member

I can't get 1Password to give me a copy of the password it just generated. I have "fill and copy to password" checked but If I use command V on my mac, it is never there. Also, if I try command C to copy the password before I "fill", it deletes the password and when I open 1Password again, I get another password. Grrrrr.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:You fill my password, but I can't get a copy of it, so I can't log in!

Comments

• Denise1985
    Denise1985
    Community Member
    Options

I don't know how to tell which version of 1Password I have.
    My OS is 10.11.1
    I am using Safari

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Denise1985,

Any time you interact with the Password Generator and do something that hints at using one of the generated passwords we do make a record of it because of the importance behind the. There is a category titled Passwords where the Password Generator will store each password you'd 'used', either by clicking fill or by selecting the password and copying it. I suspect you have a number of entries there now. You are correct, if you copy a password we do close the Password Generator window but the password should now be in the clipboard and remain there either until you copy something else or if you have the Clear Clipboard feature enabled for the next X seconds (that option is set in the Security tab of 1Password's preferences).

So any password you generate and use should be retrievable. I am curious as to why it isn't being stored in your clipboard though. Have you tried this in multiple locations and it's happening everywhere or has this been for a particular site? I ask as some sites disable pasting which might lead to thinking the clipboard is empty.

This might help with the question of Which version of 1Password am I running?

• Denise1985
    Denise1985
    Community Member
    Options

How can I open this clipboard where all of my passwords have been stored?

• Denise1985
    Denise1985
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. I am using 5.4

Do you answer the response that I left above, or do I need to post a new question? Can I call you?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Denise1985,

How can I open this clipboard where all of my passwords have been stored?

When you copy something to the Mac OS X clipboard, it only stays there until you copy something else (or until the clipboard is otherwise cleared). Therefore, it doesn't store all of your passwords - the clipboard only stores one copied thing at a time. To see the current contents of the OS X clipboard, go to the Finder, then click on the Edit menu and choose Show Clipboard.

If you'd like to find the passwords you've created with the Password Generator in 1Password mini which haven't been saved to Login items, open the main 1Password app on your Mac, and select the Passwords category in the Sidebar (you can sort the list of Password items by Date Created if it helps). We have more information in this knowledgebase article: How can I recover an unsaved password?

Does that help? If you're still having trouble with the Password Generator, or have more questions about any of that, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.