Windows 10 crashing from 1password

Options

After a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro x64, I installed 1password after installing all my other programs. Prior to installing 1password, I was able to sleep and wake my PC just fine. After installing 1password, when I wake the computer from sleep I now get a BSOD with error code (ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY). After restart I performed a clean uninstall of 1password in hopes of correcting the issue. I rebooted and tried to sleep and wake again, and now the problem persists. I've run all hardware tests to verify my memory and other complements and have no errors. This was a fresh install of Windows so no problems there. I have isolated the issue to 1password. Can anyone offer any advice of how to correct this or keep it from happening again.

TL;DR - 1password causes Windows to BSOD waking from sleep on fresh install of Windows 10 Pro x64. Help?

Comments

• Hi @BOSCOtheROCK,

Do you have any anti-malware solution installed alongside with 1Password? If so, which ones?

Can you try this and tell me if it would resolve the issue:

1. Open the main 1Password program, unlock, and go to the File Menu > Preferences > Security
    2. In the Auto-lock section, uncheck everything except Lock after x minutes of inactivity and press OK to save the changes.

Sleep your PC and wake up, does it still crash?

We have not seen this before, we have a lot of Windows 10 users using 1Password now and not a single BSOD report before this thread. I do not think the cause is 1Password solely, it's likely a combination of 1Password with something else on your system. We'll help you figure this out and maybe add a workaround to prevent it from happening again.

• BOSCOtheROCK
    BOSCOtheROCK
    Community Member
    Options

Update: After another wipe and reinstall of Windows 10, I can confirm that the issue is solely related to 1password. I installed only windows updates and 1password. Still getting the same crash as before. Tried to disable the settings you suggested and still the crashing continues. I guess my next step is to try another wipe and use the beta version of 1password and see if there's any luck with that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BOSCOtheROCK: You should't have to do that (unless you want to, for some reason). Just uninstall 1Password completely, and then install the latest beta version instead. There won't be any remnants of the previous app, so that should save you some time compared to a full Windows install. please let us know if that helps! :)

• MikeT
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi @BOSCOtheROCK,

What kind of PC are you using, is it like a tablet or is there anything special about your hardware that most people won't have?

Did you also install drivers before installing 1Password when you did a fresh install? Some drivers can cause memory related issues like this.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2015
    Options

@BOSCOtheROCK,

This is a Windows or Windows driver problem. Apps cannot cause BSODs. They may trigger the issue in a driver or in Windows, but by themselves, they cannot because they do not have this type of low level access.

FYI: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560161(v=vs.85).aspx

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MrC: Indeed, it's been a while since Windows allowed direct hardware access to applications. We've seen many issues like this with input drivers (keyboard, mouse, etc., especially Logitech) since they inherently need to access the hardware (which is why signing has been a requirement for quite some time now). It's too early to call this one, but hopefully we'll be able to gain some insight with the help of @BOSCOtheROCK that might point us in the right direction. :)

• BOSCOtheROCK
    BOSCOtheROCK
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the delayed response, gentlemen. I'm in the process of packing to move so it's been a bit of struggle to find time to troubleshoot.

@MikeT : My PC is a custom build. Specs below.
    Motherboard: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955
    RAM: (4x) G.SKILL 2GB DDR3 1333
    GFX: ASUS AMD R9 280x
    (there's more including power supply, etc, but this will suffice for relevancy)

Also, I did not install any special drivers prior to installing 1password. When I first signed in after the fresh install, I checked device manager to verify missing drivers. To my surprise windows had already found and installed everything on it's own. I then checked sleep/wake to verify if it was working. It was. I installed windows updates and rebooted and tested again, still good. I then downloaded and installed 1password. I created a temporary (blank) database with a basic password as I didn't want to setup dropbox to sync my vault (I wanted a control for my test). After installing 1password, setting up the database, and then rebooting I was unable to sleep and wake my PC properly. Upon wake I received the same crash stated in my initial post.

@brenty : Normally I would just uninstall and reinstall using the beta, but even after a clean removal of 1password, the issue with waking from sleep continues. It's almost as if a driver was modified in the process of installing 1password that is causing this to happen, and I don't know which one is causing it to try and test (or fix) it. Checking my system dumps after the crash reveals that the crash occurs on NTOSKRNL.EXE. As @MrC said, I'm sure this is an issue with windows or a windows driver, but I can't seem to track it down or figure out how installing 1password is causing said driver to break.

Thanks for the replies guys. Any possible workarounds or fixes I can attempt this evening when I'm off work. (after 5pm ET)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2015
    Options

@BOSCOtheROCK: I'm afraid my guess won't be any better than yours. If the crash is occurring in NTOSKRNL.EXE, is there any additional information that might point to a particular DLL (which could then perhaps be tracked to a specific device driver)? If you're able to grab the report, there may be some useful information in there that might point in the right direction.

1Password itself doesn't contain any drivers, since it doesn't access hardware directly (and we wouldn't be able to include one for all available hardware out there anyway). I think what's happening here is that 1Password is making some call (probably the Helper, which runs in the background to facilitate locking and the extensions) which triggers a bug in a device driver.

Admittedly, I haven't run into an issue like this for a while. Since most device drivers are supplied by Windows and only rarely updated nowadays, they undergo extensive testing for stability. Problems like this are rarer than when I used to have to manually download driver installers from each vendor's website.

However, while Windows includes drivers for most hardware, vendors still offer driver packages themselves, which are updated more frequently with improvements and bug fixes. If you're a gamer, you'll be familiar with this to some extent. So you may be able to get an updated driver from the vendor's website that will resolve the issue. But that brings us right back to where we started: we don't know which driver it is which has the problem, so it's a bit of a needle in a haystack.

I know there are apps out there that will automate driver updating from the various manufacturers, but I don't know of any offhand that I'd recommend. The only drivers I install manually outside of the standard Windows Update mechanism these days are for my GPU. But it's possible that that is the culprit after all, as a display driver crash will often bring down the whole OS. So in the absence of more information, that's where I'd start my search. Between ATI and Nvidia, you shouldn't have to look far for a recent driver update. :)

Edit: Wow. Showing my age. AMD or Nvidia. :lol:

• BOSCOtheROCK
    BOSCOtheROCK
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty : I am in the same boat as you, I generally don't install any drivers manually anymore other than display drivers. In this case however (for control purposes,) I allowed windows to install the drivers automatically. Now when this problem first started happenening I assumed that it might be linked to the display drivers. Thankfully, I had a spare nvidia card laying around that I was able to switch out with my AMD card and test. Performing a clean driver uninstall with DDU left me with a blank slate to install the nvidia card. After switching into the nvidia card, however, the crashing problem persisted. I find it hard to believe that drivers from both companies, plus the windows drivers all yielded the same crash, therefore I'm left to believe that it has nothing to do with the display drivers. I will upload the system dump from the most recent crash when I get home tonight that way maybe someone can pinpoint something I missed. It would definitely be nice to figure this one out.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2015
    Options

The drivers that Microsoft will install in a Windows update are almost always out of date, and usually not a good choice. Their certification process is cumbersome, lengthy, and costly, so hardware mfgs. only submit drivers for WHQL certification occasionally. A hardware mfg. may turn over a dozen new driver updates before the next WHQL candidate driver has been submitted and accepted. You are almost always going to be in a better position to use a) your system vendor's recommend drivers, and b) sometimes those should be superseded by the drivers provided by the mfg. of the specific hardware component.

The reason for this has to do with risk avoidance, the cost of re-qualification on various platforms, and the decreasing value proposition as you go up the hardware food chain (Microsoft has less incentive than Dell, which in turn has less incentive that Realtek, to turn out new drivers).

• BOSCOtheROCK
    BOSCOtheROCK
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

As promised, below are links to the summary reported by BlueScreenView x64 and the dump file from the most recent crash.

• MikeT
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi @BOSCOtheROCK,

I don't think anyone here asked for the dump file here, please do not upload your dump files to any cloud storage in the future. You're basically including everything in the memory, that means if you had something sensitive in the memory, that'd be included as well.

Unless someone explicitly asks for it, do not ever share it with anyone.

I've edited your post to remove the links as we do not work with dump files nor can we ask for it due to the sensitivity of such files. Please also remove all traces of it in your Dropbox folder as soon as possible.

• MikeT
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi @BOSCOtheROCK,

Can you try rebooting into the safe mode with networking and see if 1Password is working there or is it still causing BSOD with the same message?

Also, do you have any external drives that might be connected?

• BOSCOtheROCK
    BOSCOtheROCK
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT , Sorry about that, wasn't familiar with forum policy. Although, there shouldn't have been anything sensitive as it was setup as a testing environment to replicate the problem.

Unfortunately, booting into safe mode with networking is useless for this situation. Windows does not allow for the use of sleep or hibernate in an environment without video device drivers installed. Seeing as safe mode only runs with necessary drivers, the video drivers are not loaded, therefore I can not sleep to test it. All external drives and devices have been removed with the exception of mouse/keyboard and video.

• MikeT
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi @BOSCOtheROCK,

Ah, thanks, I didn't realize you can't sleep during safe mode.

I would recommend asking for help in the Microsoft's Windows > Hardware forum here, they have a more experienced team that can help.

If there's something we can do to help, let us know but at this moment, considering only you have reported this issue and it is not something that can be triggered by a specific software but rather drivers, there's not much we can do.

• AlexanderArvidsson
    Options

I'm afraid I'm in the same boat. Fresh install of Windows 10 (build 10586.11) and as soon as I download 1password.exe my machine hangs with a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. Basically, as soon as I try to execute the file, my machine hangs. This is ONLY happening with 1Password. The beta made no change at all.

• AlexanderArvidsson
    Options

...never mind :) It turned out to be the BIOS on my MSI AC 97I that needed upgrading. We now return to our normal programming, and thank you for an awesome utility! :P

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Oh wow. Thanks for the update. I'll admit that upgrading the BIOS isn't at the top of my troubleshooting list nowadays either, but it can certainly put a damper on things if there's a bug down at that level! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.