Windows Hello Support [Not supported at the moment, will research]

Jason_G
Jason_G
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Haven't seen any reference to this yet and not sure if the API in windows supports this feature yet, but will 1password be updated to support biometric authentication in Win 10?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited July 2015

Hi @Jason_G,

Nothing we can share at the moment, we would love to but it depends on how all of these works, we have to study how they store the secrets and so on.

Just so it is clear how this would work, in order for 1Password to support this, it has to store your master password or the decrypted encryption key in the clear, which would be protected by Windows. In other words, the protection by Windows has to be really solid for us to consider it.

We like iOS because of the secure enclave on the processor holding the hashed fingerprint data. We might be able to do the same on Android but it's not clear how they protect the fingerprint data yet.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any update on this? Windows hello is now becoming more widespread especially now with the launch of the new surface pro and surface laptop. The surface pro has a fingerprint reader in the type cover and the laptop has eye recognition. Seems like a great time for 1password to take advantage of these great technologies

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wasgij6: Well, I would say that perhaps a better time would be once there's a broader install base with the necessary hardware. ;)

We don't have anything to announce at this time, but it's something we're exploring. Thanks for your interest! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

Developers are waiting for a larger user group and users are waiting for developers to implement the features they want. its a vicious cycle :)

• It is and there's the case that none of us have the hardware right now to test it either. That might change in the near future as more cheaper devices are coming with the support.

• Michael Stockwell
    Michael Stockwell
    Community Member

I see some Windows Hello fingerprint scanners for around $25 on Amazon. I will gladly send you guys one or more if that means support comes soon ;)

• Hi @Michael Stockwell,

We appericate the offer. :blush:

We'll look at it and see what we can do with them.

This discussion has been closed.