Sync with iCloud

Options
eattie
eattie
Community Member
edited November 2015 in Mac

Hello 1Password team,
I have 1Password almost since it born, and it does not seem fair that I have to buy it again to sync with iCloud. When I bought it years ago the App Store for the computer did not exist, there was no way to buy it from there.
I want to sync with iCloud my computer, there is any way that you will send an update for resolve the problem?

Kind regards,
Eduardo Attie

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 6.1 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eattie,

First, I want to thank you for being such a long-time customer, we really appreciate it! :)

Now, the situation with iCloud sync is certainly not ideal, and I completely understand that it doesn't seem fair. Please know that it's a bit out of our control: The reason iCloud sync is only available in the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac is because it uses Apple's CloudKit technology, which can currently only be used by apps sold through Apple's App Store. We'd absolutely love to be able to include that in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password as well, but unfortunately that's not currently possible. We have more information here: Why does iCloud require iOS 8, OS X 10.10, and the Mac App Store?

Unfortunately Apple doesn't currently provide a way to convert a license for the AgileBits Store version of 1Password to the Mac App Store version. Therefore, if you wanted the Mac App Store version of 1Password, you would need to purchase that separately.

I wanted to mention that Dropbox sync is also a great sync option. It's how many of us here have always synced our 1Password data. 1Password is secure by design and your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so with regard to security there's no difference between syncing 1Password data with Dropbox or iCloud. 1Password simply doesn't depend on the security of either to protect your data.

Dropbox also has the advantage that it can be used to sync secondary vaults, and also share vaults with friends, family, and co-workers (it's not currently possible to share anything between iCloud accounts). And it's the only sync solution that works across all platforms supported by 1Password: Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android.

I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer for you about all that! Hopefully this helps to explain the situation a bit. If you have more questions about that or need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know - we're here for you! :)

• eattie
    eattie
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the explanation Drew

• @eattie Glad to hear Drew was able to help you out here. If you ever have any other questions, feel free to let us know. We're happy to help out. :)

This discussion has been closed.