Autologin does not work

I have installed and configured 1Password (Trial version for now) for Windows, running on Vista 32-bit. When I go to a new web site that requires a login, I am indeed prompted by 1Password to save my login info. I always accept, then type in my Master Password, and login.

Next time I go to the same site (e.g. Amazon.com), nothing happens, even if I go to the login page manually. It just sits there as normal waiting for me to enter my credentials as if 1Password doesn't exist.

I have 1Password open and running in Windows (does it have to be in order for it to work, by the way?). Sync is finally working with Dropbox on both my computer and my iPhone.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I think I'm just very confused as to how it should work. My colleague who told me about 1Password (he's on a Mac and iPhone) showed it to me and it worked seamlessly and FLAWLESSLY on his setup.

Thanks.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Sorry for the confusion, but 1Password doesn't automatically fill in your credentials unless you tell it that's what you want it to do. Please see the following articles from the user's guide:

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    If you want 1Password to fill your login, you need to click the 1P button on your web browser's toolbar, or press Ctrl+\
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

If you want 1Password to fill your login, you need to click the 1P button on your web browser's toolbar, or press Ctrl+\

...as described in the documents linked to, above. :)
  • SparrwHawk
    edited August 2011
    DBrown wrote:

Sorry for the confusion, but 1Password doesn't automatically fill in your credentials unless you tell it that's what you want it to do. Please see the following articles from the user's guide:

Hi David,

I understand that 1Password doesn't automatically fill in usernames / passwords by design, but I just wondered why exactly this is. I have recently switched from LastPass to a trial version of 1Password and having to press a keyboard shortcut every time I visit a log in site is a bit frustrating to be honest.

I just wondered why the design decision was there when LastPass don't seem to think it's a problem to provide a true autologin facility.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Is Ctrl+\ (or the 1P button on your web browser's toolbar) really that much of a hurdle?
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    SparrwHawk wrote:

I just wondered why the design decision was there when LastPass don't seem to think it's a problem to provide a true autologin facility.

Welcome to the forum, SparrwHawk!

I wasn't around for the early design decisions, having been a 1Password user for only about three years, myself.

One possible rationale is that I don't always want to log in to a site, just because I have a Login saved for that site. A perfect example is Wikipedia: I look up 5 or 10 things a day, but I actually log in to my Wikipedia account only once or twice a year. Most of the time, I just want in and out—waiting for a login would just be a waste of my time.

Such things can be designed around, of course, and there's always a chance that such a feature might show up in a future release—we never say "never"—but I know of no plans to add an "auto-detect-and-fill" feature to 1Password.
This discussion has been closed.