When upgrading from old format to OPVault, why did some of the passwords dissappear?

I did by-the-book update of the vault format and everything seemed to go well. The issue is that even though I selected to not override duplicates (multiple logins to single destination or passwords generated, due to lazy naming), they did disappear. Why is the new format unable to have to passwords with the same name?

In addition, I have some items that are there, e.g. a Server-entry with a password, but it has no password anymore. Why did the password get deleted from this item?

Also previously I had no issues when syncing through OneDrive. Now it seems only some keys are synced, since I can see them on the computer where I did the migration, but not on the other one. This is quite annoying, even worrying.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro, Windows 7 Enterprise
Sync Type: OneDrive

Comments

• laardi
    laardi
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

I confirmed and this is a bit random, but applies for every type of login, mostly the ones under "Accounts". Even applies to generated passwords.

So all in all: Randomly fields are missing a lot from my records, software keys, passwords and so forth. I have the original data available, so just feels I should migrate back, as this is unacceptable.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@laardi: Sorry for the trouble! There have been some issues with 1Password 4 displaying legacy data from 1Password 1 — where OPVault did not exist. Would that apply to your situation? If you know which items are missing, you can open your .agilekeychain and simply edit those items to update them, and export them to import into the .opvault. Let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• laardi
    laardi
    Community Member

Some of the old items are indeed from years back, I'll try the update again later on. I do have most likely a few hundred old items, so walking through them will not be that fast.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@laardi: Indeed. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience there. It can be a bit tedious, but this method might help you 'manually automate' the process:

1. Put on some music and open 1Password
    2. Select All in the left sidebar
    3. Click the Modified column header to sort the items by Date
    4. Press the Home key to go to the first item
    5. Press Enter to edit the item
    6. Press Enter again to save it
    7. Repeat until you've gone through all of the old items (any date this year will be sufficient)

Thanks to ericsnis for the tip. I hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• laardi
    laardi
    Community Member

Put on some tunes and assigned a macro to my keyboard to avoid messing up the combos. Didn't take too long and the new OPVault seems to now have all the data. I'll stash the old version just in case, but this seems to fix my issues.

Thank you for quick and friendly support!

• On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome.

• mattyd
    mattyd
    Community Member

What is the oldest age that is supported? I've been using the new OPVault for a few weeks and have new stuff in it, so I can't just nuke it and start over. If I open the old one as a second vault, can I update the record and then drag it to the new vault?

This seems extra frustrating, since I exported to the plain text version of the data before reimporting to the new vault. It should have given an error or just dealt with it either on import or by fixing up the output on save.

Also frustrating: I had an entry that wouldn't open on my computer but WAS visible on the iOS version of the app. So, I thought I'd have a nice work around by hitting Edit on the phone and then Done to save. Except that caused the data to be lost from the phone, too. Now I can't see it from either phone or PC.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

What is the oldest age that is supported?

@mattyd: Great question! There isn't actually a specific date, since the date itself doesn't matter; it's simply a matter of the item needing to be either created or modified using 1Password 4.

It would be impossible for an item with a modification date prior to 2013-10-30, but after 1Password 4's official release on 2014-06-17 is more likely. But again, if you were still using 1Password for Windows version 1 in 2015 you may have created 'legacy' items this year as well. 1Password doesn't actually care about the date; it only needs to be able to read the data.

This seems extra frustrating, since I exported to the plain text version of the data before reimporting to the new vault. It should have given an error or just dealt with it either on import or by fixing up the output on save.

Unfortunately, because it can't read the data, it can't know that it's missing something you're looking for and give an error. :(

Also frustrating: I had an entry that wouldn't open on my computer but WAS visible on the iOS version of the app. So, I thought I'd have a nice work around by hitting Edit on the phone and then Done to save. Except that caused the data to be lost from the phone, too. Now I can't see it from either phone or PC.

Now this is perplexing. So, you're saying you viewed an item in 1Password for iOS, and when you edited it there it disappeared before your very eyes? :dizzy:

Since you already had the data on your PC, do you have a backup of it you could restore from (after backing up your current data of course)? It sounds like that would be a good starting point both for that and the other items you're trying to migrate.

You can simply copy items in one vault, switch to the other, and paste them in...but you'll need to edit and save the item first (to update the data, so that it can be added to OPVault), and attached files are not included in copy/paste, so make sure you export any attachments and add them to the item once you've imported it into the new vault.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.