How to Hide Private Notes on the Menu Bar

SupermanLeo
SupermanLeo
Community Member
edited November 2015 in Mac

Recently I decided to use 1Password on my Mac to help me take care of all my passwords. I also enabled mini 1Password on my menu bar, knowing it will bring me plenty of convince.

However, as I clicked mini 1Password on my Mac and hovered the cursor over the notes I have created in 1Password, I found that those notes can be seen without protection (or encryption). Since some of these notes are private, I'm wondering if there is any way I can prevent those notes from appearing in mini 1Password on the toolbar - or any other alternative ways to keep it not public while still using mini 1Password.

Appreciate any advice.

Thank you in advance.

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: 4.4.4
OS Version: OS X 10.11.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• SupermanLeo
    SupermanLeo
    Community Member

Any ideas? This is important.

• Jacob
    edited November 2015

Hey @SupermanLeo! Just so you know, posting again in a thread bumps you to the top of the list. We respond oldest-to-newest. ;)

However, as I clicked mini 1Password on my Mac and hovered the cursor over the notes I have created in 1Password, I found that those notes can be seen without protection (or encryption).

You are correct: 1Password mini provides very similar functionality to the actual 1Password app. There are two important things to note here. First, even if you disabled mini entirely, your Secure Notes would still be perfectly visible in the main 1Password app. Second, your vault is fully encrypted, but you can see the notes because you've unlocked it. If you would prefer to have more strict security in 1Password, such as requiring a password every time you want to access your vault, that's totally possible.

To set up some additional security measures, open 1Password, click the 1Password menu in the menu bar, and select Preferences, then switch to the Security tab. You'll notice there are a few checkboxes and fields here. First is Conceal passwords, which simply makes passwords appear as ••••• bullets. You can reveal them by clicking the down arrow and selecting Reveal or by holding Option on your keyboard. Next there is the Lock on sleep option, which simply locks your vault when your computer goes to sleep. The next option is self-explanatory as well, locking your vault when your screen saver is triggered. One option that may be of specific interest to you is Lock when main window is closed. Each time you close the main window, your vault will be locked. You can then unlock it from the mini app if you'd like. Lastly is the Lock after computer is idle for x minutes. You can set this to 1 so the vault is locked whenever you leave your computer for more than a minute.

That being said, I've also forwarded your feedback regarding the concealment of Secure Notes to our developers. I can't promise anything, but they will take a look at it and assess whether it's feasible. We've had a few other requests for it in the past, so your vote is with them. :) If you have any other questions, feel free to let us know.

ref: OPM-1841

• SupermanLeo
    SupermanLeo
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

Hi @penderworth, thank you very much. Actually I have been tweaking the preference and Googling solutions for the similar concern before I wrote the this post. What I'm looking for is separate security for notes. Passwords are encrypted and can be made appear as bullets, like you said, so I'm not quite worried about that.

Anyway, thank you for forwarding my feedback, that would be a huge favor.

• @SupermanLeo Ah, that's what I suspected. No problem at all! Be sure to keep in touch and we'll see if there are some surprises for you in the future. :) Have a wonderful day.

This discussion has been closed.