reformatted computer, now cannot sync with dropbox

I recently reformatted my computer (XP) but retained my 1password info on my iphone and Dropbox. I successfully reinstalled the information and program on my new desktop (and can still access it on the iphone and Dropbox), but when I did so it will not allow me to sync the desktop information with Dropbox. In fact, the "Move to Dropbox" button is greyed out. Can you tell me if I have installed the software incorrectly? I had the same issue the first time I used 1password as well and had to reinstall it to get it to work properly. I do not want to do that this time as I have many password logins saved...

Thank you in advance.

D

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Welcome to the forum, duionm38764!

Even if you had to reinstall 1Password, it wouldn't affect your 1Password data, which is stored separately from (and independent of) the program itself.

The easiest way to proceed is for you to send us the diagnostics report (Help > Diagnostics Report > E-mail to Agile) and to include a copy of your description of the problem (or a link to this forum thread, http://forum.agile.ws/index.php?/topic/4443-reformatted-computer-now-cannot-sync-with-dropbox/) at the top of the e-mail message body.

Please do not post your diagnostics report to the forum.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I recently reformatted my computer (XP) but retained my 1password info on my iphone and Dropbox. I successfully reinstalled the information and program on my new desktop (and can still access it on the iphone and Dropbox), but when I did so it will not allow me to sync the desktop information with Dropbox. In fact, the "Move to Dropbox" button is greyed out. Can you tell me if I have installed the software incorrectly? I had the same issue the first time I used 1password as well and had to reinstall it to get it to work properly. I do not want to do that this time as I have many password logins saved...

Have you installed Dropbox on your reformatted computer? That is your 1st step. Then after you have installed Dropbox, launch 1Password and click: File > Open 1Password Data (Ctrl+O). Now navigate to your Dropbox folder and select the 1Password.agilekeychain folder.

If your 1Password keychain is already in your Dropbox (I get the impression that is the case in your situation), then there is no need to click the "Move to Dropbox" button.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    ...all of which will be easy for us to determine from the contents of your diagnostics report, D, so I still hope you'll send it to us.

• Have you installed Dropbox on your reformatted computer? That is your 1st step. Then after you have installed Dropbox, launch 1Password and click: File > Open 1Password Data (Ctrl+O). Now navigate to your Dropbox folder and select the 1Password.agilekeychain folder.

If your 1Password keychain is already in your Dropbox (I get the impression that is the case in your situation), then there is no need to click the "Move to Dropbox" button.

There is a keychain from the old version of 1password. When I reinstalled it on the new machine I was able to get the old keychain on the new program. All was cool except that now when I add new passwords to the new computer, it no longer syncs with DropBox or my phone.

I sent the diagnostics to Agile.
  • duionm38764
    edited April 2011
    All is good guys. Turns out I did not yet reinstall DB and once I did, the button returned to normal so I could sync. I apologize for the stupid question but really appreciate the help.

D
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    That's good news, D! Thanks for updating the thread.
This discussion has been closed.