Slowness in opening sites using Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10586

Options

I have a dual booting PC running Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 10586. In both instances I have 1Password 4.6.0.592 installed and use Internet Explorer 11 as the default browser.

In the Windows 8.1 environment using 1Password to go to any of the secured sites takes but a second or two to open up.

In the Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview environment (installed 2015.11.06) it can take upwards of 30-45 seconds to open up a bank account site and no less than 10 seconds to open up any other sites. For example, I am currently logged in to Windows 10 and it took 15 seconds to log into this forum.

As a side note, I did uninstall/reinstall 1 Password. No difference.

Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version:
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BobArch2: Can you tell me exactly the steps you're taking? Fromm your description, it sounds like it's taking some time for websites to load, so I'm wondering how you think that might be related to 1Password. Be sure to let me know the browser you're using on each OS, and I'll test this myself to see if we can find a solution for you! :)

• Hi @BobArch2,

I think I know what the issue is. Try this and see if it works better: open Internet Explorer and click on the 1Password icon to go to Settings > Open Login In, select Current tab.

Try again, is it quicker?

• BobArch2
    BobArch2
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: For both Win 8.1 Pro and Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview, my default browser is Internet Explorer 64bit.

Moving from site to site in both O/Ses using Favourites loads any site instantly.

Using 1 Password in Win 8.1 Pro to go to a site, loads the site immediately and fills in the required login information within a second or two.

Using 1Password in Win 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 10586, loads any site immediately and takes an extremely long time to fill in the required login information as per the timings mentioned in the original post. In a couple of cases, the login data is not inserted... the system just sits idle.

If you need more information, just shout.

Thanks for your assistance.

As a separate note, I also have 1Password on my iPad running with Safari and there are no issues. I mention this as everything is using a common Dropbox vault.

At the moment, I am running in my Win 8.1 environment. Later today I will switch to the Win 10 environment and will try a browser other than IE. I have Edge, Firefox and Chrome installed.

• MikeT
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi @BobArch2,

Did you see my post about changing the setting to Open in Current tab?

What you're describing is a known issue with Internet Explorer if 1Password is configured to open in a new tab instead of current tab.

• BobArch2
    BobArch2
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT: didn't see your post as I as typing my reply to brenty. I will be going into my Win10 environment later today and will try your suggestion and will report back.

Thanks...

• BobArch2
    BobArch2
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT: My** Win 8.1** / 1Password setting was to open in current tab... which was fast. I just changed the setting to open in a new tab and I observed the same slowness in logging in that I was experiencing in Win 10. I will try the different settings when I get into Win 10 later today.

It looks like your reporting of the known issue impacts at least Win8.1... perhaps Win10 as well.

Thanks again...

• BobArch2
    BobArch2
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT / @brenty Issue Resolved.

The Win 10 1Password setting was to open in a "NEW TAB". Changed it to "Current Tab" as suggested and all is well.

Thanks to both of you for the fast response... and solution.

• Hi @BobArch2,

You're welcome. The upgrade to Windows 10 must've reset it back to New Tab for you.

What is happening is that when 1Password opens a new tab in Internet Explorer, it has to re-initailize the extension to work on the site, we can't reuse the same session from a different tab. Basically, this means you have a new copy of 1Password for each tab. That's why it is so slow for it to fill in a new tab and by switching it to current tab, it can reuse the current code to fill the data for you.

Hopefully, the good news is that this should be much better in Edge when Microsoft releases an update to support extensions. They said that they would model it after the Chrome's extension model, which means it should be possible to have a global session for the extension with smaller code for each tab that's much faster for us to process.

This discussion has been closed.