Cannot restore from backup when upgrading from version 3 to version 5 for mac.

jgranik
jgranik
Community Member

I just upgraded 1password from version 3 to the latest version on my mac. I also have been using the app on my iPhone and iPad for sometime, but have not been able to sync them with the mac for about a year - it just stopped working for some reason and i never bothered to fix it. The data on the iPhone and iPad is, therefore, only up to date as of a year ago (I don't think i have added data to the phone/ipad at all - but there is a lot more new data on my mac.) That being said, I have the iCloud setting on my phone/ipad activated and they are in sync.

So, on my mac I created a backup file first and then uninstalled the old version. When I pulled up the new version, I got the set of data that is on my iPhone/ipad from the iCloud. I want to get the data from the old version back on the mac and then sync that up via iCloud so that all three devices are in sync. I tried to restore from backup but it will not let me select the old backup (even after changing the filename to .zip from _zip, as per the instructions on your support site.)
What should I do now?
Thanks - Joel

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Upgraded to the latest version from version 3 and cannot get it to restore the backup.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jgranik,

I'm sorry you've run into some trouble when upgrading to 1Password 5 on your Mac. Thank you for the details on what you've already tried and the results, it's extremely helpful for us! :) I'm sure we can help you get this all sorted out.

Backup files from 1Password 3 are in a different format than backup files in 1Password 5, but you can definitely use a version 3 backup file to migrate your data to version 5. Before doing anything else, you should make a fresh backup of the data in 1Password 5: From the main 1Password 5 app, go to File > Backup. That will open the Backup preferences and show all your backups, including the new one you just made.

Now, your backup file from 1Password 3 should have a ".agilekeychain_zip" extension. To use that file to restore your data in 1Password 5, follow these steps:

• Rename the backup file to: 1Password.agilekeychain.zip
    • Double-click that file to unzip it, and it will now be named 1Password.agilekeychain
    • Open 1Password 5 and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences
    • Select the Sync tab, then change the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu from iCloud to Folder
    • Click the Disable Sync button (do not select the option to delete data from iCloud)
    • Click the Choose button and select the 1Password.agilekeychain file (then click Open)
    • Click Merge with Existing to start syncing (enter your master password if prompted).

The data from the 1Password.agilekeychain file should merge with the data in your Primary vault in 1Password. Assuming all goes well, you'll need to change the Sync setting from Folder back to iCloud:

• Go back to Preferences > Sync
    • Change the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu from Folder to iCloud
    • Click the Disable Sync button (do not select the option to delete data)
    • Choose to merge with your data in iCloud

Please let us know how it all goes and if you have any questions. Thanks! :)

• jgranik
    jgranik
    Community Member

All went well - solution was perfect! Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! I'm glad that solution was helpful for you, @jgranik! :) Thanks for letting us know. If you ever need anything else, we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.