Do I have to de-install my Agilebits 1Password before I download the App store version?

Options
David_Current
David_Current
Community Member
edited November 2015 in Mac

I own 1Password 5.4.1 from Agilebits, but need to purchase the App store version so I can sync through iCloud. Do I need to de-install the Agilebits copy before I download the App store copy? Is there any way to port all of my passwords and other data from the old copy to the App store version when I download it?

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.1
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:Do I have to de-install my Agilebits 1b before I download the App store version?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@David_Current - No, you don't need to uninstall the AgileBits version before you download a copy from the Mac App Store. But the best thing for you to do is consult this knowledge base article before you make the jump: Switching to the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store. Be sure to ask questions if anything needs clarification.

• David_Current
    David_Current
    Community Member
    Options

Great. Thanks so much hawkmoth. I'll check it out.

• David_Current
    David_Current
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I've downloaded the new app and am trying to set up iCloud sync. I guess I don't totally understand how this works. I have a copy of 1Password with my own vault. My wife also has a copy of 1Password with her own vault. I turned on iCloud sync in her machine a few days ago. When I try to set up my copy now, I get a dialogue box listing my Primary Vault and next to it, "Vault found in iCloud" which is asking for her password. The only choices are "Cancel" or "unlock and merge." I don't think we want to merge the accounts.

We do share some common accounts and logins, but mostly they are separate. I know there is some way using the new Tools, I think it's called, to share some common info, but I don't want to pay $4/mo per person to do that. I think we could use independent vaults and for the accounts of hers that I use I would just have a copy of her login info in my Vault understanding I would have to update the username/password manually every time she changes hers. I can live with that. But do we need separate iCloud drive accounts to do this (we have separate Apple IDs). Can you advise please? thanks. d

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @David_Current,

Sorry for any confusion about this! It sounds like there are a couple issues here: One is that iCloud sync only supports the Primary vault in 1Password. It sounds like you're currently signed into your wife's Apple ID on your Mac, so 1Password is finding her Primary vault in her iCloud account. You won't be able to add that as a secondary vault in 1Password on your Mac - the only way to sync that on your Mac would be to merge it with your own Primary vault, which would also merge all your own data into your wife's Primary vault on her Mac. Assuming you need to keep some data separate, you definitely don't want to do that.

The other issue is that iCloud does not let you share your data with a different iCloud account. So if you are normally signed into your own Apple ID on your Mac, and she's logged into her own Apple ID on her Mac, it's not possible to sync/share you vaults with each other via iCloud.

If you and your wife want to share any vaults with each other, you'll need to use Dropbox sync/sharing for that. You can still each use iCloud sync for your Primary vault (you'll need to be signed into your own Apple ID on your Mac). Then you can create a secondary vault for the items you and your wife want to share with each other. You'll be able to share that vault by following the steps here: Can I share an entire vault with my family or co-workers?

I'm sorry again for the confusion! I hope this helps, but if you have any questions about that, please be sure to let us know. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.