Multiple iOS devices using the same iCloud account do not all sync together.

Options
jfellows
jfellows
Community Member

I recently replaced my aging MacBook Pro with a newer model. Since then, I noticed a 1P syncing issue among my five iOS devices. All use the same iCloud account to sync 1P. Four devices (i.e., iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPad, and iPod touch running 1P v5.4.3 for iOS) sync together but the MBP (running 1P v4.4.3 on OS X 10.9.5) does not. I've verified that all are 1) logged into the same iCloud account and 2) 1P is configured to sync via iCloud. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.9.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:sync

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The reason the MBA is does not sync is that iCloud sync requires OS X 10.10 Yosemite and 1P5 (the Mac App Store version). See this knowledge base article:

Why does iCloud require iOS 8, OS X 10.10, and the Mac App Store?

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @jfellows,

You may have some follow up questions after reading the article Stephen_C has linked you to, please let us know and we'll do our best to answer them. With your current setup your best option would be Dropbox as it is compatible across the versions where iCloud changed (in other words you can sync 1Password 4 and 5 easily with Dropbox).

• jfellows
    jfellows
    Community Member
    Options

I submitted a question earlier about why my MacBook Pro (running 1P v4.4.3 on OS X 10.9.5) stopped syncing with my four iOS devices (running 1P v5.4.3 for iOS). I upgraded the MBP to OS X 10.11 and the mobile devices to iOS 9 and learned that the 1P version we bought from the AgileBits website did not support iCloud sync anymore. My only other syncing options were via 1) Wi-Fi, an impractical option, or 2) Dropbox, which is blocked by my work firewall for security reasons. iCloud sync provides critical functionality for my use of 1P, and it worked fine until I upgraded to 1P5 for Mac. If I had known this, I would have gladly bought from Mac App Store instead. I was led to believe I was buying from the AgileBits website the same version as what was available at the Mac App Store.

I have been a loyal customer since purchasing 1P 3.5.9 in July 2011. I understand the logic for forking into two versions with 1P5. However, that does not lesson my problem. I read here that the only option I have is to pay $50 to re-purchase a license from the Mac App Store. Considering that I've already bought 1P, I respectfully ask that you consider one of two options:

1) Credit back my earlier purchase of 1P for Mac from the AgileBits website so I can apply those funds towards purchasing the fully functional 1P5 from the Mac App Store. OR

2) Grant a way for me to download the fully functional 1P5 from the Mac App Store for free.

I appreciate your assistance in addressing this unfortunate situation.

Respectfully,
    Jonathan

1Password Version: 5.4.1
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OS X 10.11
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: forum-search:sync

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jfellows,

I'm very sorry for any confusion about this! Since your new post is a continuation of the thread you opened a few months ago, I've merged it into that thread to avoid confusion. I'll be happy to elaborate on the answers you were given back then in order to clear up a few things.

As you already know, iCloud sync is only available in the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac. That's because it uses Apple's CloudKit technology, which can currently only be used by apps sold through Apple's App Store. We'd absolutely love to be able to include that in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password as well, but unfortunately that's not currently possible (if we're able to re-add it at some point, I'm sure we will). We have more information in these knowledgebase articles:

The iCloud sync option in 1Password 4 used the older iCloud Document syncing feature (which unfortunately was very troublesome for many customers). Apple introduced CloudKit when they made big changes to their iCloud service in iOS 8 and Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). CloudKit is a much better solution, which is why we started using it in 1Password 5, but the drawback (aside from being exclusive to Apple's App Stores) is that it's not backwards-compatible with previous versions of iOS or Mac OS X, or with 1Password 4. So even when you were using 1Password 4 on your Mac, it wasn't able to sync with 1Password 5 on your iOS devices.

I understand the logic for forking into two versions with 1P5.

Actually, this has always been the case ever since we started selling 1Password 3 for Mac in the Mac App Store. Due to the way the Mac App Store works, there have always been necessary differences between that version of 1Password and the AgileBits Store version. But before 1Password 5, most of those differences were minimal (for example, how licensing works, or how updates are downloaded). iCloud sync is the first time a major feature has been in one but not the other. And again, it's because it isn't currently possible to include that same option in apps sold outside the App Store.

1) Credit back my earlier purchase of 1P for Mac from the AgileBits website so I can apply those funds towards purchasing the fully functional 1P5 from the Mac App Store.

I searched our system for the email address from your forum account, and I found 2 licenses for 1Password for Mac: your 1Password 3 for Mac license was purchased in July 2011 (as you mentioned), and your 1Password 4 for Mac license was purchased almost 2 years ago in December 2013. 1Password 5 was a free upgrade from 1Password 4, so you wouldn't have needed to make a new purchase for that - and I don't see any other purchases for your email address.

We do have a 30 day money back guarantee, so if you used a different email address to make a separate purchase of a 1Password 5 for Mac license within the last 30 days, we can definitely refund that! Just send us an email at support+licenses@agilebits.com with the email address you used to make that purchase from our AgileBits Store so we can find it in our system. On the other hand, if the purchase you referred to was the one from December 2013, I'm afraid we aren't able to process a refund for that.

2) Grant a way for me to download the fully functional 1P5 from the Mac App Store for free.

We'd love to! But unfortunately Apple doesn't currently provide a way to convert a license for the AgileBits Store version of 1Password to the Mac App Store version. Also, we don't have the ability to give individual discounts on the Mac App Store (which is why we're only able to give upgrade discounts on our own site). So if you wanted the Mac App Store version of 1Password, you would need to purchase that separately. We do occasionally have sales, so you could wait for the next one if you want, although we don't announce sales ahead of time.

Now as far as your current syncing options go, you said you're blocked from using Dropbox, and Wi-Fi is impractical. Is there a reason Wi-Fi sync would be impractical for you? If you're only using 1Password on one Mac and multiple iOS devices, Wi-Fi sync is a very good option, and has the advantage that it doesn't require the use of any cloud sync service.

I'm really sorry these aren't the answers you wanted to hear! But I hope it at least helps to explain the current situation. Please do let us know if you have more questions about any of that. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.