Moved items to Team vault, items disappeared!

I've just got my invitation to Teams and finally decided to do some spring cleaning of my Primary vault. Sorted up a group of items using tags and tried moving them one by one to the vault using the share menu. All the while having "All vaults" selected in the upper right corner so even though moving my items to another vault they still appeared in the tag list I was currently viewing. Then I realized I can move them all so I boldly did CMD-A and chose Share->Move to vault. Tadaa. Half of them disappeared! Not to be found anywhere in either vault.

I think it was the ones I'd already moved that disappeared, but I'm not sure. I've now restored a backup and started sorting them all over again.

Just thought you might wanna know of a potential data loss bug.

1Password Version: 5.5.BETA-23 (550023)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OSX 10.11.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:share already shared item with vault

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@esbjorn: Yikes. (Un)fortunately, I wasn't able to reproduce this. I'm not sure I completely understand what steps you took that resulted in this. Can you break it down for me?

I think it was the ones I'd already moved that disappeared, but I'm not sure. I've now restored a backup and started sorting them all over again.

This almost sounds like you were expecting to have duplicates of the same items. Is that the case? If you had moved the items, you should still only have one each, just in another vault. Also note that when you move items from one vault to another, they're effectively copied and then deleted: they will be in the Trash of the original vault, in addition to in the new vault. Let me know what you find! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@esbjorn: I wanted to follow up here after coming up with a theory about what might have happened in case it helps you or anyone else.

In the latest betas of 1Password for Mac, the vaults shown in the All Vaults view are optional (Preferences > All Vaults). Sit if you have the All Vaults view selected and you move items to a vault which is disabled for the All Vaults view, they will seem to 'disappear', since all items an excluded vault are excluded from the All Vaults view. You can, however, find the items in the original vault's Trash, and also switch to the specific vault they were moved to in order to view them there.

I did this myself a bit ago while doing some reorganizing and though of your case immediately. I still haven't encountered a case of items actually being lost, just a bit of confusion on my part from tim to time due to this new feature. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.