no vault icon to switch to when i want to change my password

Options

In your manual you describe how to change a password starting in 1Password vault. I understand this process but... in my apps (Android and IPad) i do not see a possibility to switch between browser and then back to the vault, the only icon is the key.
I therefore try to go to the 1password app myself (switching between apps instead of not leaving 1password), but then I cannot copy the password, just generate a new one. I use the Pro version. Help?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jacco_schimmel,

I can't speak much about Android I'm afraid as I don't have an Android device right now but I do have iOS devices though. So can I just confirm, is the goal that you want to change the password for a given account via their website's password change form and what you want to know is how to do this nicely using 1Password for iOS?

• jacco_schimmel
    jacco_schimmel
    Community Member
    Options

Correct!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @jacco_schimmel,

I love 1Password for iOS, I wouldn't want to be without it but it wasn't until you asked that I realised I don't think I've ever tried changing a password from my iOS device. What I found was it isn't as elegant as it compared to how it should work on the Mac but it wasn't bad. I'll describe what I tried and we'll see what you think.

1. I opened iOS Safari and visited Amazon.
    2. I used the 1Password iOS Safari Extension to to fill using my Amazon Login item.
    3. I visited Amazon's change password form.
    4. Using the extension again, I filled using my Amazon item and it correctly filled the right password field with my existing password.
    5. I brought up the extension page but this time tapped the information 'button', the blue i to the right hand side, to bring up the items details.
    6. I tapped the Edit button in the top right hand corner.
    7. I tapped the Generate New Password option to let 1Password create a new password and then tapped Done in the top right hand corner. 1Password copied this new password to the clipboard.
    8. I pasted the new password into the new password fields and saved the changes.

Even if something foes horrifically wrong all previously used passwords are kept and stored in a Login item. You can access them via the Previously Used Passwords option in a Login item's details. It will only be visible if you have changed (and saved) a password in the past for this item.

So it isn't as automated compared to how it should work on the Mac but this current version of the extension is about version 2/3 in my mind. I think it's making great progress and who knows, in the future maybe it can make this process even easier.

Do those steps feel like they're any better than what you're already doing? We do welcome the feedback.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

and I've just now realised I've essentially written the contents of Changing a saved password page, it might be that post isn't of much use... Instead it might a little more knowledge of the extension is what would assist for iOS?

• jacco_schimmel
    jacco_schimmel
    Community Member
    Options

Thnx for reply! Indeed I noticed the same thing: changing password goes very smooth on Mac or Windows desktop, not in apps. For iOS I agree without the above, not so nice but ok. For Android however it is a complete different story since there is nog extension available. I know the 1password keyboard but that really does not come close to the usibility I like so much in 1password. It does not provide all the functionality that the extension in iOS does AND you need to always use this keyboard, bringing in other cons since it lacks the other functions a Google/Samsung keyboard provides...

Then my other question remains: I do not have the possibility to use the switch between Vault and Globe icons since they are not visible, neither in iOS as in Android. See the manual: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios/5/en/topic/changing-a-saved-password where I can fully understand this process of switching in the 1Password app, but not on my mobile devices (Galaxy S6, Iphone5 and Ipad Air). The only visible icon is the key icon...??? Drives me nuts. What is it I do wrong?

Maybe you can help me on these two issues, any suggestions?

The good news is that on desktop everything works flawless, the extension simply available in all websites AND starting directly from 1Password4 (on Windows desktop/laptop).

Regs,
    Jacco

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jacco_schimmel,

I'll continue working with you on the iOS side and once we've reached a satisfactory point I'm going to grab one of my colleagues to chat with you regarding Android - any attempt for me to cover Android will only do it and you a disservice.

I think the confusion here may stem from the screenshots being out of date. I believe all the confusion starts with this image, am I correct?

So you're looking for the icon I've highlighted in red and thinking to yourself, hang on, my screen looks like this.

It turns out we've shifted the share button from next to the address bar to the bottom of the screen and the return to vault button has gone from a not very obvious icon (just my opinion, not sure how that really screams vault to me) to replacing it with the word done which I've highlighted in the second image. On the iPad the icons are reshuffled too and stretch vertically instead of horizontally like those images. So on the iPad the globe icon is in the bottom left hand corner instead of the bottom right hand one and all the icons are in the address bar inside of 1Browser instead of there being a line at the top and bottom. In both the vault icon is replaced with the word done though.

Now this is a different approach to the one where I did everything from inside the iOS Safari and 1Password iOS Safari Extension as here it uses the built-in browser that we call 1Browser. With the steps I wrote everything happens from inside the Share menu and our extension.

Hopefully I've understood correctly and this explains the iOS side. If it does then we're one step closer and as I say, I'll ask one of my colleagues with more Android experience to step in and help on that side. If it doesn't it's likely I'm misunderstanding some aspect. Hopefully with your assistance though we can correct my misunderstanding and I can start talking about the right thing :smile:

This discussion has been closed.