mas ipass4 2nd vault subset of prime - how sync - then how update it on iphone 1pass6

Options
mrsscr9
mrsscr9
Community Member

i run 1pass 4 on mac and set up second vault to be a subset of the primary vault which i put on my iphone running 1pass6 -
1) I only add to and make updates to primary vault - how can i sync primary and secondary so that i dont have to duplicate updates or new logins etc.
2) how do i then keep this synced 2nd vault synched to my iphone which ONLY HAS 2nd vault
I ONLY USE WIFI FOR sync fro security - DO NOT WANT TO USE CLOUD OR ITUNES to sync as i want local database ONLY>

1Password Version: 4.4.3osx and 6ios
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: osx 10.85 ios9
Sync Type: wifi
Referrer: forum-search:mas ipass4 2nd vault subset of prime - how sync - then how update it on iphone 1pass6

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @mrsscr9,

We only introduced Wi-Fi syncing of secondary vaults in 1Password 5 and even there the primary vault must be synced due to the original design decisions. Any change would require a complete re-write and would only happen in the current version of 1Password. There is also currently no way to keep items that span vaults linked in such a way that an edit in one is reflected in the other.

If you are willing to relax the requirement that additions and updates are only made to the primary vault there is maybe one approach (with a convoluted variant) that might work for you. Instead of viewing the primary vault as the secure one, what if you swap them around so that the secondary vault stores the items you don't want to leave your Mac? Then your primary vault becomes the storage location for the items you do want to see on your iOS device and WI-Fi Sync can handle this. This would allow for some items to remain Mac only. The relaxation in the requirements is that each item has to remain unique and stored in the correct vault for your purposes. For filling purposes this would mean swapping between the two vaults on the Mac as is required. The one risk here is by default 1Password will want to save items to the primary vault and if you don't want them there it could be quite frustrating that the default vault is the mobile one.

The convoluted variant would solve this but it is convoluted. Your primary vault stays as the non-synced items and your secondary is the mobile vault. Any item in the mobile vault shouldn't appear in the non-synced one to eliminate confusion, just as above. The difference here is as 1Password defaults to saving new items in the primary all new items would be default or even accidentally start off life in the non-synced vault which should reduce mistakes. You would then synchronise the secondary vault using Folder Sync locally on your own drive. You would then create a secondary OS X user account whose single purpose is to sync to the same Agile Keychain. In this new user account the primary vault would be same as the secondary vault on your working copy of 1Password. As it is the primary vault here this would allow the use of Wi-Fi Sync. It's convoluted for all of the above and the fact that you would have to swap OS X user accounts each time you wanted to sync via Wi-Fi.

Neither is a great option but as it stands 1Password isn't capable of what you want to achieve. We have had the occasional request to sync only a secondary vault but it isn't a small change, it would mean throwing away the entire code for Wi-Fi Sync as it stands and starting from scratch based on the explanations I've heard. As such there would need to be sufficient interest to justify the time in compared to the many other feature requests that it has to compete against.

I have added your vote to see this happen.

ref: OPI-2320

This discussion has been closed.