Feature Request: Password Exchange / Your Vault Access

Options
joram
joram
Community Member

In the past we used different vaults + dropbox for sharing passwords, there were group or customer related vaults and "shared team member" vaults. So a team of 5 people +1 teamleader results in 5 shared vaults:

Member1 <-> Teamleader
Member2 <->Teamleader
etc.

So that the teamleader could exchange individual passwords for each team member, like new editor-logins, mailaccounts, hipchat/slack accounts, etc. This are individual accounts which should'nt be shared with an entire group.

With the announcement of 1password for team we hoped we could kill the described tedious additional-vault-per-member-process, but it seem 1password for team doesn't support the ability to "manage" the individual "your vault".

With 1Password for team the workflow is quite the same, except there is fewer process overhead like dropbox/additional vault passphrases etc.

So we would really like to see the following feature in 1Password for Teams:

The ability to exchange individual member passwords:

• As a teamleader, i want to send individual accounts to team members, so that the member could use their personal account.
  • As a teamleader, i want to manage individual accounts of a team member, so that i can revoke a personal account/remove the password.
  • As a teamleader, i want to manage accessrights of my "your vault", so that team leaders or other members could access my personal vault.

To be not misunderstand: 1Password for Teams is a big step forward.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• random_31731ec7aea
    Options

Hi @joram,

Currently you can give any Teamleader Admin Permission and they can create Vaults (deselect All Admins option). So Teamleaders don't see the Vault of each other.

They wouldn't have access to personal Vaults but you can simply make addional Vaults the act as a second personal "Your Vault".

See my White Paper Thread for more details.

Random

• joram
    joram
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, this is exactly what we do currently. It's a "okayish" solution - but there should be a better way. to keep it simple: some kind of "send item to user" functionality which would'nt depend a secondary vault per user.

• random_31731ec7aea
    Options

Hi @joram,

for me your solution wouldn't be simple. Cause then I don't see who has access and it's all clutter up.
    But it's just my opinion.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@random_31731ec7aea: I agree. That can certainly complicate things.

@joram: That said, if we can find a reasonable way to share individual items I think it could be useful. Thanks for letting us know you'd appreciate that feature! :)

I may be misunderstanding your original posts though. It sounds like you want to be able to manage other people's personal vaults ("My Vault"). Is that correct? We have this in the first place because in the future we envision people (ourselves, especially!) using only 1Password for Teams, and in that case we really need to have a personal vault there since there won't be one elsewhere (like we have now in 'classic' 1Password).

This is deceptively confusing now, because we're all using 1Password for Teams in beta and hanging onto our existing vaults. But down the road we should all be able to pare things down to the essentials. Let me know what you think! :)

• random_31731ec7aea
    Options

@brenty I'm using 1p4t just like you intend. Important would be if you dropping primary Vault that you still have a way to save masterpasswords and accountkey in a primary vault light, so you can still have a local masterpassword.
    The primary vault light would be usefull if you have more then one Team Membership and don't want to type in all the masterpasswords.
    But it should stay optional for which Team it should applied, cause so user can decide what he likes to do.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty I'm using 1p4t just like you intend. Important would be if you dropping primary Vault that you still have a way to save masterpasswords and accountkey in a primary vault light, so you can still have a local masterpassword.

@random_31731ec7aea: I understand this concern under the circumstances, as you already have a Master Password for your Primary vault in the app, so having another to remember for 1Password for Teams is cumbersome. After all, I'm in the same boat. ;)

However, down the road when a person is using only 1Password for Teams, that Master Password (the one we might have difficulty remember now in addition to the original 'personal' one) will be the Master Password. We'll know it, type it numerous times a day, and hopefully even grow to love it. And of course then the Master Passwords for ancillary teams can be stored in your main 1Password (for Teams) vault. I hope that helps. :)

• random_31731ec7aea
    Options

Good Morning @brenty,

no Understand me wrong: I have no trouble to rember the masterpasswords. :-) I used to use a 15 up to 25 character password a long time, now I'm down to 6 up to 8 diceware words, takes long to type, but easy to remember :-)

and of course then the Master Passwords for ancillary teams can be stored in your main 1Password (for Teams) vault. I hope that helps

That what I was looking for. Maybe the user should be able to select the main vault (Which Team) by them self.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@random_31731ec7aea: Sorry about that! I guess my point is that remembering more than one really strong Master Password isn't impossible, but it's certainly difficult! We'll definitely look into ways to make it easier to manage vaults — especially the ones we use most. Thanks again for the feedback! :)

• random_31731ec7aea
    Options

@brenty, no reason to say sorry.

I see it the same way like you, and your Solution would be perfect.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.