Sync Multiple Vaults Over iCloud [Not yet possible, might be in the future]

Comments

• Eze
    Eze
    Community Member

Thanks, but how does that give me anymore protection than having one vault? My mac makes you sign in to the vault you want, while restricting you from others.

• @Eze‌

Could you please elaborate? I'm not sure I have a full picture of what your question is.

Community Member
    edited December 2014

Guys can you accelerate the development and release of multiple vaults syncing with icloud - thanks age ps your statement "might be in the future" worries me a little.

• mskreis
    mskreis
    Community Member

Completely agree. Please accelerate multivault syncing with iCloud.

• Thanks for the feedback. :)

• richardc020
    richardc020
    Community Member

Ditto most of the above, a greatly desired/needed feature. Kudos to all developers working on it & the much work ahead, thank you sincerely!

• Thanks for letting us know this would be useful for you!

• richardc020
    richardc020
    Community Member

v5.1 (Mac App Store) Syncerrific Version takes a huge leap! Still awaiting the multiple non-primary vault syncing via iCloud though DropBox is a great leap, great congratulations to the hard work at AgileBits.

• n00b
    n00b
    Community Member

I wanted to know if there is any update on this topic? I'd also like to see a sync with another vault via iCloud, as I'd like to keep my private passwords and passowrds I need at my job apart. could you tell me if this found a place on your to do list or will this feature ever be released? I love the app and I think this would make it even a lot better. thank you for making such a great app and all of our lives easier (just signed up for this :) )

• Hi @n00b,

Currently the only supported ways to sync multiple vaults are via Dropbox, or WiFi sync w/ 1Password for Mac.

Unfortunately I don't have more information than that at the moment.

Ben

• Omid
    Omid
    Community Member

Hi @bwoodruff

That 1Password unfortunately does not support this feature yet, is no news. We would really appreciate it if the dev team consider this widley wished feature. Not only in this thread, but also in many other ones the users are asking for more flexibility in syncing through icloud and wifi.

Thanks for your effort. This product is really wonderful. It could be more wonderful with this feature!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Everyone who wishes for multiple vault syncing over iCloud should remember that you can do that now by Dropbox, and also that security depends only on the strength of your master password, and in no way is tied to the cloud solution you use for syncing. In fact, you can post a database that has a strong password here in this public forum and have no more worries about it being cracked that where ever else you decide to deposit it for syncing.

• Omid
    Omid
    Community Member

Hi @hawkmoth,

Thank you for your respond. You however explain alternative options which is not really an answer to the question. I would like sticking with iCloud (for whatever reason) and would really love to have more flexibility in 1Password to sync multiple Vaults through iCloud (and WiFi).

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@Omid said,

I would like sticking with iCloud (for whatever reason) and would really love to have more flexibility in 1Password to sync multiple Vaults through iCloud (and WiFi).

I understood that and I didn't mean to suggest that asking for the ability to sync multiple vaults by iCloud isn't a reasonable request. It is a reasonable request, and the AgileBits folks have said that it may come in the future. I just meant to point out that Dropbox does provide this function now. If syncing multiple vaults is more important that the use of iCloud for a particular user, that's an option until such time as multiple vault syncing comes to iCloud. And if that isn't helpful to you, it might be to another user who happens to read this thread.

• Also, multiple vaults can sync via WiFi (with 1Password 5 for Mac).

• Omid
    Omid
    Community Member

@bwoodruff,

Unfortunately if the primary Vault is synchronizing via iCloud, it is not possible to set up a WiFi sync for the other Vaults.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Omid,

At this time, your best option is to choose the sync service that works the best for you, and sync using just that. We've found in previous versions of 1Password that enabling multiple sync solutions at once leads to potential conflicts.

I would be happy to let our team know that you'd like to see more flexible options in the future. :)

• Muddles17
    Muddles17
    Community Member

I would like to voice continued interest in the ability to sync multiple vaults via iCloud. Since I use iCloud Drive for everything, it didn't make sense to me to use Dropbox for 1Password alone, so I've been syncing my main vault with iCloud and then turning sync off and syncing my secondary vaults through wifi when I make changes to that vault.

• Hi @Muddles17,

Sounds like more work than setting up Dropbox. ;)

But thank you for the feedback.

Ben

• brianbustos
    brianbustos
    Community Member

I'm going to put in my vote for multi-vault support using iCloud. Now that iCloud Drive has an iOS app (iOS 9), the only thing keeping me from deleting my dropbox account is the multi-vault feature using dropbox. Thanks for creating such a fantastic product. 1Password was a game changer for me :)

• Thanks for the vote. :)

• alex_rn
    alex_rn
    Community Member

All this looks like an advertisement of the Dropbox. Didn't you hear that some people (including me) don't want to use Dropbox and decide themselves what the type of sync to choose? And the repeat - the better is when the user PER EACH vault can choose what the type of sync he want. Your software is not so cheap and I hope you have the power to implement this.

Do you have any plans to implement iCloud sync for multiple vaults? If yes - When?

• Hi @alex_rn,

I don't disagree at all, and the power to choose is one of the great things about 1Password. Unfortunately not all sync methods are created equal, so the capabilities and limitations of each have to be factored into the decision.

I'm not aware of any definite plans to bring multiple vault syncing to iCloud. It is definitely something we'd like to do, but I cannot make any promises at this point. There are certainly a fair number of folks who would like to have it though, and that is factored into our decision making process as we make determinations as to what features to include in future versions.

Even if we did have definite plans, unfortunately I couldn't say "when." Many of the factors that affect development timelines are time variable and not necessarily something we have control over (Apple's review process for iOS apps being one example). As such we almost never give even rough estimates on "when" unless a feature is done and nearly ready for release.

We definitely appreciate the feedback, and as I mentioned it is one of the factors we consider when choosing what to implement.

Thanks!

Ben

• alex_rn
    alex_rn
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

Hello Ben (@bwoodruff).

Thank you for reply and explanation. I saw that this topic is created more than a year ago. And this is the first thing I had to look for when move to your great software from one of your competitor. I want to say and point your attention to have more attentive look at the users messages and feature requests. Because in this topic, the most I saw from you is a lot of recommendations to use another ways or software, but nothing was implemented on your side since your users start asking you about this on September 2014. Now the end of 2015 is coming.

I hope on your understanding. Thank you.

Alexander

• Alexander,

I only offer recommendations of other sync methods A) in case folks are unaware of alternative options that already have this capability, and B) as I have no idea when or if what is being requested will be possible, and I'd rather give folks something they can use now vs empty promises.

All I can promise as far as any feature request goes is that it will be taken into consideration, on an ongoing basis, by our development team.

There are a huge number of factors that go into determining if a feature is chosen for inclusion in any given version, including but not limited to:
    Technical feasibility
    Demand
    Effect on the overall usefulness of the product
    Cross-platform compatibility
    Amount of development time / resources required to implement
    Likelihood of causing problems or confusion
    Etc

As you can see there is a lot that goes into it, and demand is certainly factored in. But there are many other considerations as well.

All of this to say: we do appreciate the feedback, and will continue to take this request into consideration as we evaluate what to include in future versions of 1Password.

Thanks for reading.

Ben

• ldopson
    ldopson
    Community Member

Agile team,

Your comments are non-committal and try to pacify, "yes we hear you", "tell us how important it is to you".

I'm wondering when "you" see the issues more directly?

Do you use the tool, and what feedback do you give your developers?

What exactly is on your roadmap?

Leo

• Hi Leo ( @ldopson ),

Your comments are non-committal

Yes, they are, intentionally. We're not making a commitment to add this feature. That said, as you've read in this thread, we do certainly take customer requests into consideration when making determinations regarding development priorities.

Do you use the tool, and what feedback do you give your developers?

I use 1Password every day, and I give feedback to our developers based on both customer requests and my own experience. I don't use iCloud sync as it does not meet my needs. The whole point of having multiple vaults, for me, is so I can share some of those vaults with different people (e.x. I have a vault that I share with my immediate family, and another vault that is shared with some of my colleagues). Even if iCloud had the ability to sync multiple vaults, it would not have the ability to share them. This is the reason most people use multiple vaults, and as such is part of the reason why iCloud multiple vault syncing has not made the top of the priorities list. If Apple ever implemented the ability to do this type of sharing with iCloud it would probably move up the list a bit.

What exactly is on your roadmap?

We do not publicly share any sort of a timeline/road map.

Thanks!

Ben

• ldopson
    ldopson
    Community Member

Agile team,

I think it may be useful to share highlights of new features to help mitigate some of these questions.

I'm absolutely an avid user of 1password and really love the tool, that said I think it's falling short on some features (like importing a photo from the phone) and it would be nice if I could even get the sense if any of the user community suggestions was being considered?

Leo

• They are certainly being considered, however, as a rule we do not pre-announce features. They are announced as they become available. You can get a little bit of a heads up by participating in our beta program, though it should be noted that the fact a change exists in the beta is not a guarantee that it will be present in the next (or, any) release.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.