Unlink Dropbox Primary Vault

Options
tk3900
tk3900
Community Member

I would like move and rename my primary vault on dropbox to a different folder and share with my wife. Can I unlink my Primary vault in preferences from dropbox, create new shared folder on dropbox then re-sync in preferences to that new folder (changing vault name to "Family"). I assume then I could delete older vault files in dropbox. Then I would have to then connect to the new vault and dropbox folder on other computers and phones with the new files in the new shared dropbox. Will this work or mess things up?

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: 4.4.4
OS Version: OS 10.11.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tk3900,

For the most part you're correct, that is all possible and as long as you remember that all copies of 1Password that are connected to the original will need to be pointed to the new one then you're fine. There are a couple of things I would recommend.

Now 1Password won't allow you to title the Agile Keychain Family.agilekeychain I'm afraid. What you could do is first disable Dropbox sync by setting the sync option to None. Instead of creating a brand new Agile Keychain what you could do is create the intended folder structure in Dropbox and then move the existing Agile Keychain to it's new location and rename it. Then to re-connect 1Password to the Agile Keychain you would select that actual Agile Keychain rather than just pointing 1Password to the folder that contains it. The reason is for your primary vault 1Password will really want to create an Agile Keychain titled 1Password.agilekeychain but as long as you select the actual Agile Keychain you'll be fine.

If you have any doubts or concerns at all before starting then I'd recommend creating backups but these sorts of actions are practically daily shenanigans for me so I'm confident it will be relatively trouble-free.

1. 1Password for Mac. To backup use the menu option File > Backup.
    2. 1Password for iOS. To backup navigate to Settings > Advanced and tap the Create Backup option.

When you move the existing Agile Keychain all the other copies of 1Password will complain of the Agile Keychain, don't worry, just point them to the new location and they'll be fine :smile:

Please do keep us updated but I'm confident here.

• tk3900
    tk3900
    Community Member
    Options

Got it, thanks. So exporting and re-importing records won't fix the naming convention of Primary because that can't be changed? Unless I uninstall and reinstall? Thanks again.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @tk3900,

1Password used to be a single vault solution and the vault was always titled the primary vault. This stuck when we started supporting secondary vaults, partly because the primary vault does hold special significance. The password that unlocks your primary vault, your Master Password unlocks all secondary vaults although things get a bit more complex when a vault that one person calls a primary vault is a secondary vault for somebody else as all of that is only local.

So no matter what you do, if you have a primary vault that you want to call the family vault it won't show this in 1Password. You can title the Agile Keychain family.agilekeychain but 1Password will still call it the primary vault.

Does that help at all?

This discussion has been closed.