1Password via an authenticated proxy?

paulnojustpaul
paulnojustpaul
Community Member
edited April 2011 in iOS
Your papers, please.
Hi there,

At my work our wireless access to the internet is via a proxy using authentication. I've just noticed that while MobileSafari can get out fine after prompting for credentials, 1Password's built-in browser can't get out. Trying to use fill and go from 1Password (forgive me if that's not the right term) I get a blank web browser window, whereas the same 1Password record will work fine on a non-proxy/auth network.

Taking a look at the proxy logs while 1Password is trying to do its thing indicates that it's getting to the proxy but not understanding the 407 (auth required) status code it gets back so continuously tries the same URL. Temporarily turning authentication off at the proxy (did I mention I'm one of the sysadmins? :-)) results in the page loading immediately.

This is a university with the same wireless network used by staff and students, the latter with quota charges, so while I'd like to, I can't just turn authentication off across the board. So, I was wondering whether you guys had any plans to implement the capability to go out via an authenticating proxy or whether it was an issue with iOS? i do see a fair number of other apps also having the same issue but I'm not a developer so don't know where the underlying cause lies.

Thanks for your time and your awesome work!

cheers,

Paul.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Hello Paul!

Thanks for bringing this up (and for your kind words of encouragement). :-)

i do see a fair number of other apps also having the same issue but I'm not a developer so don't know where the underlying cause lies.

My understanding is that the WebView provided to third party iOS apps in the SDK is a very barebones affair. Mobile Safari actually has a lot of code added to the WebView which makes it the browser that it is. So…in order to support these kinds of proxies we need to write the code from scratch which is sad because Apple already has great code for this in Safari. :S

I don't have a time frame for this at the moment, but, while it would be no small endeavor, it is an issue we are hoping to resolve in a future update. (Maybe Apple will just add this to WebView soon. That would help a lot of apps!)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.