How to use 1Password when I travel, on another computer

carrieinholland
carrieinholland
Community Member
edited November 2015 in Mac

Hi. I have 1Password on my iMac and I love it. Easy to use, don't have to remember passwords, secure because I don't have a list of passwords. But now I want to travel and use a different computer for a couple of months. I don't even understand the basics of how this all works, so my question is, "How do I put 1Password - with all my passwords - on a laptop to take with me?" (It's an Apple too.) I have V 4.4.2 and I purchased it from the Appstore Thanks for helping.

1Password Version: 4.4.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.9.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:NEW COMPUTER

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

The simplest way for you to use it on a computer you will be carrying with you is to install 1Password on it and sync your data to it via iCloud or Dropbox. Your license allows you to install 1Password on as many devices of the same platform as you use yourself. If you take this approach, you will be able to use it just like you do at home.

You haven't said how you sync your data or even whether you do so. Establishing syncing will simplify keeping your data coordinated on both of the computers. If you are using Dropbox (or adopt it now), you also would be able to use 1PasswordAnywhere to access your data (read-only) from any standard web browser. (You would only be able to use iCloud for syncing if your copy was obtained from Apple at their Mac App Store.)

The key for you, at least as I understand your question, can be found in the User Guide, here: Sync Preferences

Start there and follow the included links to the solution that sounds best for you.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @carrieinholland,

Did hawkmoth's post help at all or do you feel you need more detail or assistance at all? We will be happy to help but it might be hawkmoth's post was enough for you and that you already have Dropbox sync set up and are happy. 1Password definitely caters for this type of situation though so I'm confident we can get something that works for you.

• carrieinholland
    carrieinholland
    Community Member

Thank you hawkmoth and littlebobbytables for your help. I don't sync. I dislike the idea of syncing (how safe can that be?!) but I see it may be necessary to do what I want to do. Will check the User Guide and use iCloud (or I will try to). You all are great!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Don't worry about the security of sync: be reassured by this knowledge base article: :)

Is it safe to sync my data over the cloud?

Your 1Password vault is always protected by the security of your master password—wherever the vault may be.

Stephen

• @carrieinholland Glad hawkmoth and littlebobbytables were able to shed some light on things. The article Stephen linked to is also a great reference as far as the security of cloud syncing goes. In short: 1Password makes sure your data is secure wherever it's stored. So long as you use a strong Master Password, of course. Everything is protected using that, so make it good. :) Let us know if you have any other questions, and have a wonderful weekend.

• carrieinholland
    carrieinholland
    Community Member

Thank you everyone. We have managed the syncing via iCloud. There is another level of complexity. The computer I will be using is my husband's Apple who has his own 1Password account. Is it possible for each have access to our own 1Password under their own user? Thank you.

• eva_s
    eva_s
    1Password Alumni

Hi @carrieinholland,

Yes, you can each have your own versions of 1Password, with your own data, in separate Users accounts on the Mac.

Please let us know if you have any more questions. :-)

• hskoppek
    hskoppek
    Community Member

Hi eva,

This is Carrie's husband. I have tried to install Carrie's version of 1 password under her user on my MacBook. However, I do not seem to succeed.

What I did is the following:

I log in under her user, open App Store, search for 1Password which appears with the button saying "Essentials".

By clicking on it it downloads ok. When installing I get 2 options: "I am new to 1Password" and "I have used 1Password before". Then I am asked "Please select one of the available options to continue" and I click on "Another device".

However, the options here are either "cancel" or "more information"

This is where I get stuck as the installation does not proceed. Instead, I am linked to the following webpage:

https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/new-computer.html

Where did I go wrong?

I don't even get to the point where I am asked to enter Carrie's passwords to activate her version, let alone proceed with the installation in general???

• @hskoppek I'm a bit confused here because Carrie mentioned above that she wanted to keep the data separate:

The computer I will be using is my husband's Apple who has his own 1Password account. Is it possible for each have access to our own 1Password under their own user?

However you say:

I don't even get to the point where I am asked to enter Carrie's passwords to activate her version, let alone proceed with the installation in general???

"Activating" the app is only a matter of downloading it from the Mac App Store. That's all you need to do. You won't be asked for Carrie's Master Password or anything like that unless you first import her data.

If you've changed your mind and would like to import the data from iCloud (which is where she said she decided to sync things), you'll need to choose iCloud during the setup process. If that isn't the case either, could you please explain what you're trying to accomplish so we have a better idea of how to help out?

• hskoppek
    hskoppek
    Community Member

Hi Penderworth,

trying to clarify: I have downloaded 1Password on my MacBook under Carrie's user, but it does not show up in the menu bar on top. This is what I want to do, so that Carrie can use her version, so I expect that at one point during the "installation" process (downloading her data, if I understand you correctly) I expect to be asked for her password. I hear that this will work via icloud. Let me give this a try and I get back to you.

• hskoppek
    hskoppek
    Community Member

OK, I have checked icloud. When I log in under any user and open the respective icloud account, I do not see any reference to 1Password. When I check 1Password under my user (under the pulldown menu on top) it tells me that my 1Password was synced.

so far so good

However, when I log in under Carrie's user, I can't seem to open 1Password. I have access to the (downloaded) appliction, but can't access, i.e. download her data?

I don't seem to be able to 'activate' this version of 1Password.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hskoppek,

I'm so sorry to hear that it has been a bit of a process getting all of this set up! I can tell you that we're working on revising the new user process, as we've had other users who have run into similar problems. I know this doesn't help you right now, but I'll be sharing your experience with our team so it can guide us in making this better for everyone moving forward.

So. Let's get you sorted out!

If I understand you correctly, we're signed in to Carrie's user account on your computer, and 1Password is installed, but you're having trouble accessing her data in iCloud. Our first step then is to ensure that you are logged into iCloud with the same account that she has previously synced her data to. You can check which iCloud account you're signed into in System Preferences.

When I log in under any user and open the respective icloud account, I do not see any reference to 1Password.

Are you looking for 1Password data in System Preferences? Once you're signed in with the appropriate iCloud account, when you open 1Password it should detect that there is data present in iCloud and prompt for Carrie's Master Password. If it does not, you can follow the steps in our User Guide to select iCloud sync. If you're looking at this guide and seeing something different on your screen, we'd love to see a screenshot of what you see. (Just be sure that you're not displaying any personal or sensitive information when you take the screenshot!)

To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks so much for your patience as we work through this.

• hskoppek
    hskoppek
    Community Member

Hi Megan,

thx for the long explanation. I think I am a step further, but 'no cigar's yet.

Reason being: I have double checked Carrie's computer, that icloud is syncing 1password and it does (last sync 1 min ago). Yet when I sign out of Carrie'c computer and move over to mine and log in under her user name, I open 1password, drop down to systempreferences, but I have no option to sync, as it does not show ANY vault.

This issue is becoming urgent now, as we will be leaving tomorrow on a trip and need access to our passwords from abroad !!!

I trust we can get this sorted today.

Thx

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hskoppek,

I'm confident we can get this sorted out today! I'll make sure I keep a close eye on this thread to monitor for your responses.

I think a screenshot would help here, as I'm not 100% sure what you're seeing in 1Password's preferences. I also note that Carrie has shared her version information, but I'd love to confirm the version details for your computer as well (just to be sure that I can give you the best instructions.)

• What is the version number of 1Password that you have installed? (Please look in the 1Password menu, under 'About 1Password'.) It's also important that you confirm that you're using the Mac App Store version of the app for iCloud sync.
    • What is the version number of your operating system?

It occurs to me that you cannot view or change the sync preferences for 1Password while the app is locked - is 1Password unlocked while you are viewing the Preferences?

• hskoppek
    hskoppek
    Community Member

Hi Megan,

thanks for your commitment to sort this out adrenaline pumping

password version 5.4 540046 downloaded from MacAppStore

operating system OSX Yosemite 10.10.5

here is a screenshot of the spot where I get stuck:

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hskoppek,

Yup! That's the trouble. 1Password is locked. You'll need to unlock 1Password to change any sync settings.

When you look at 1Password without the Preferences screen, do you see this?

(from our User Guide.)

If you're seeing this, 1Password has located the iCloud data and is looking for you to enter Carrie's Master Password.

This article will walk you through the process of setting up sync.

Again, if your lock screen looks different, snap a screenshot and show me what you see. :)

• hskoppek
    hskoppek
    Community Member

no I don't see what you see - and for some reason I cannot attach a printscreen right now

• hskoppek
    hskoppek
    Community Member

so this is what I see;

http://prntscr.com/965opw

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hskoppek,

Great! On that screen, we want the 'I've used 1Password before' option.

Next 1Password will give you the opportunity to select where your data is on the system. Make sure that you're logged into iCloud with Carrie's account and 1Password will find the iCloud data there.

You should be able to follow the steps starting in our guide here. There are a lot of screenshots there, so please make sure that what you're seeing matches up with the pictures in the guide.

• hskoppek
    hskoppek
    Community Member

Hi Megan,

I am signed in with Carrie's iCloud account, but when I select "I've used 1Password before", it does not give me the icloud option, which I see in the screenshot of your manual.

I see this

see next comment

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hskoppek,

If you're not seeing iCloud as an option, it sounds to me like you might have downloaded this version of 1Password from our website instead of the Mac App Store. (Which is why I requested version details above). To confirm:

• In /Applications, do you see 1Password or 1Password 5?

If you're seeing 1Password 5, then you're using our AgileBits Store version, which does not support iCloud sync. We'll need to get the Mac App Store version downloaded so that you can see that iCloud option. Let's try this:

• Use ⌘⌃Q ( Command-Control-Q ) to quit 1Password.
    • Drag the 1Password 5 application to the Trash. DO NOT USE AN APP CLEANER.
    • Empty the Trash.
    • Open the App Store and make sure that Carrie is logged in with her Apple ID.
    • Look for 1Password in the 'Purchased' tab.
    • Download.
    • When you open 1Password now, it should detect the data in iCloud.

I've got my fingers crossed that this solves everything for you!

• hskoppek
    hskoppek
    Community Member

I definately downloaded the version from the AppStore and not your website. I double checked earlier today.

However, I will go through the steps you describe and report back.

• hskoppek
    hskoppek
    Community Member

Here is the version from the AppStore which I downloaded.

http://prntscr.com/966if1

However, living in the Netherlands, we always get re-directed to the Dutch AppStore, which has different products in it.

I suspect, that they may NOT have version 5 of 1Password in it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hskoppek: Very odd. You don't appear to have a vault, at least in Preferences. Are you unable to unlock 1Password and view any data there? It sounds like the answer is "no". I think I know what's going on here, but I just want to confirm.

Because there are so many factors involved, I think this has — understandably —confused the two of you, and as a result, I think we're all chasing a sasquatch here. Let me go over what I understand so far to make sure we're on the same page, and then I'll present a solution and work through it with you to get you up-and-syncing:

1. Carrie is using 1Password 4 on OS X Mavericks (10.9)
    2. You're trying to sync the data from her Mac (#1) to her separate user account on your Mac
    3. You were not previously using 1Password on your Mac, which is running OS X Yosemite (10.10) with 1Password 5

I believe that #3 is where to problem lies. In Yosemite (and iOS 8) Apple made some big changes to iCloud, rendering it incompatible with previous OS versions. So what's happening is that Carrie's iCloud data is still back in the old iCloud (pre-iCloud Drive). But if she upgraded her iCloud account, she wouldn't be able to access iCloud on her devices running Mavericks/iOS 7 or earlier. So iCloud, in this particular situation, won't be an option to get her data from where it is to where you want it to be. This is why you're not being offered the option to sync the existing data from iCloud (and not seeing it in System Preferences): as far as Yosemite is concerned, it simply isn't there!

I'm really sorry about the confusion here, but the solution is actually rather simple: use Dropbox Sync instead, which works in all current versions of 1Password across all platforms, and even many of the older ones (such as 1Password 4). This will allow you to sync her data between the two Macs, and even share a secondary vault between the two of you if you like. iCloud data cannot be shared between Apple IDs, but with Dropbox it's possible. However, we'll probably work about whether you want to do that much later, as the more pressing matter is to get the data where you need it right now. Just follow these steps:

1. Install Dropbox on Carrie's Mac and setup an account
    2. Setup Dropbox Sync in 1Password on Carrie's Mac in Preferences > Sync
    3. Quit 1Password completely on your Mac by opening it and pressing Command + Option + Q
    4. Install Dropbox on your Mac under Carrie's user account, logging into the same Dropbox account used on her Mac, and let the data sync over
    5. Open 1Password again, and it should find the vault in Dropbox. If so, choose to use it as an 'existing user' and you're all set!

If not, let me know if you're still seeing the weird sync preferences in your screenshot above. If you're able to view the 1Password vault in the Dropbox folder in Finder, we're almost there. We may need to simply start over with 1Password there to get out of that state and then the initial setup process will work correctly.

Please let me know how it turns out. We'll get this setup for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.